PDA

View Full Version : Oil level has increased

RCFiat
10-28-2016, 10:00 PM
I have both a 2015 500 Sport and 2015 500L Trekking Urbana, having purchased the Sport about a year prior to the L.
I noticed about a year into the Sport that the oil level was above the full mark. Not having changed the oil myself from new, I assumed the dealer had overfilled during PDI. I removed a quart. At that point, the level was right on the full mark. Now, 2500 miles later, the level is below full, so I am not overly concerned.
But now I have an "overfill" situation on the L. But on that one, I changed the oil myself shortly after purchase, putting in 4 quarts. Checking the level after a week or so, it was perfectly on the full mark. Now however, about 3000 miles since the change, it is showing a level above full. On both cars the antifreeze level is fine. So the only thing I can think of is that fuel may have gotten into the crankcase.
Is anyone aware of an issue with these engines along these lines?

Fiat500USA
10-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Hmm, this is interesting. When you changed your oil did you loosen the oil filter cap prior to draining the oil? That needs to be done to release all the oil from the filter back into the crankcase: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fiat-500-abarth-oil-change.html

The other thing is there is a proper procedure for checking the oil. It requires you to fully warm up the vehicle, then turn it off and then check the dipstick.

The other thing to check is if the car is on level ground. Also, was there just 4 quarts put in or was it topped up to full when the car was cold? Any of these things can affect the oil level.

JimmyTestarossa
10-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Hmm, this is interesting. When you changed your oil did you loosen the oil filter cap prior to draining the oil? That needs to be done to release all the oil from the filter back into the crankcase: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fiat-500-abarth-oil-change.html

The other thing is there is a proper procedure for checking the oil. It requires you to fully warm up the vehicle, then turn it off and then check the dipstick.

The other thing to check is if the car is on level ground. Also, was there just 4 quarts put in or was it topped up to full when the car was cold? Any of these things can affect the oil level.

The bold items were the 2 things I was thinking about as well. A leaking head gasket could cause the sump to fill with coolant but there would be other symptoms.

RCFiat
10-29-2016, 12:02 PM
The bold items were the 2 things I was thinking about as well. A leaking head gasket could cause the sump to fill with coolant but there would be other symptoms.

Yes, when I changed the oil, putting in four full quarts of Castrol 5W40 Edge, I first removed the oil filter cartridge. Checking on flat ground the next day, the level was precisely at the full mark.

Today the level is well above that mark, into the flexible portion of the stick. And there is a scent of gasoline......which I believe could indicate a leaking fuel injector.

I'm wondering if others have experienced this condition. The thought of having run 6000 miles or so with gasoline-diluted oil does not sit well with me.

RCFiat
10-29-2016, 06:38 PM
I stopped by the newest dealer in my area today, Safford of Winchester, Va, to discuss this situation. Both their Fiat techs were not in, but figuring they have experience with the turbo engine in Dodges and Jeeps, I described my situation. One thought was that due to my very short distance to and from work the engine does not get a chance to really warm up, and that during this cold running period there is excess fuel being injected which essentially runs down the walls of the cylinders into the crankshaft. I'm hoping the electronics would be better able to manage this. But it is true that during my 2000 mile trip to and from Florida following my oil change the level did not change from full. It's been during the roughly 1000 miles driven since getting back that I've noticed the change. I have rarely given the car the whip like I might do with my manual transmission cars. Perhaps that combined with some longer drives might prevent this situation. But again, I would hate to think that the turbo engine cannot safely be combined with frequent short hops. Another thought of course was that there may be an injector leaking.

I'll get the car into the dealership for an inspection. My biggest concern now is that there may be long term issues with the engine due to the dilution.

streetsurfer
10-29-2016, 10:01 PM
I think you 'll be ok. I saw under three percent fuel dilution at my first oil change of the factory fill at 2565 miles. No significant wear metals showed in the report. 3% being about four ounces of fuel entered sump, and four oounces of oil consumed, as my stick level always showed full. It can be caused by short trips and extended idling, the latter being my case. The car was started and moved a few times over the winter to clear snow, but not run on the street to operating temps needed to burn of the bypassed fuel from rich starts and no load running/idling.

RCFiat
10-29-2016, 10:46 PM
I think you 'll be ok. I saw under three percent fuel dilution at my first oil change of the factory fill at 2565 miles. No significant wear metals showed in the report. 3% being about four ounces of fuel entered sump, and four oounces of oil consumed, as my stick level always showed full. It can be caused by short trips and extended idling, the latter being my case. The car was started and moved a few times over the winter to clear snow, but not run on the street to operating temps needed to burn of the bypassed fuel from rich starts and no load running/idling.

I might change the oil and filter tomorrow to see just how much fluid comes out. Another thing I have been doing, this being an automatic transmission, is to manually shift the transmission until its fluid warms up, so that it does not hold gears longer than it would do on its own during the initial driving. The technician told me that during the initial cold start driving the MAP sensor manages fuel delivery. I wonder if my "short shifts" are allowing for excess fuel delivery which goes into the crankcase. As much as I don't care for the gears holding for so long, I may just let the transmission do its own thing and see if things improve.