PDA

View Full Version : Anyone install a K&N drop in filter?

Haring
10-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Just ordered one off Amazon. Is it worth it? Enjoyed the EUrocompusion v3 with K&N on my Abarth. Thought I'd either do this or try the Jeep Renegade 2.4 K&N open filter system and hope it fit. Decided for now to just get the drop in.

Xtreme500
10-21-2016, 10:16 AM
I have one and my mileage has only gone down since I got it. I also felt there was zero power gains to be had.

pkgmsu2000
10-21-2016, 11:20 AM
cold air intakes do not produce HP gains. they look great and sound great, especially with a turbo, but if you want to make gains with higher CFM you need a tune to adjust the AFR's.

Trunkout
10-21-2016, 12:01 PM
cold air intakes do not produce HP gains.

That is so untrue. Especially with a turbo that lives on air temps.
Come on, man! :)

johnkatos
10-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Don't most stock air filters take in cold air?

pkgmsu2000
10-24-2016, 02:27 PM
That is so untrue. Especially with a turbo that lives on air temps.
Come on, man! :)

if you say so... but ive dyno tested 5 different cars (4 turbo, 1 NA) with quality aftermarket cold air intakes and the best HP "gain" was ~ 5HP... so i guess you can call that a gain, LOL, but you wont feel 5HP in the drivers seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

5 kW = 7 hp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Trunkout
10-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Well, crap, all MILLIONS of you with CAI... we all wasted our money.

Southernroadrunner
10-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Looks like it but they still dress up the engine bay.

Haring
10-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Ok..to try and bring this back on topic, installed the K&N. Easy install. I was a little worried when I saw posts on the Amazon feedback about breaking things. Squeezed the yellow latch on the one hose and then unscrewed the 3 screws for the top of the airbox and that was it. I'm a little nervous about unscrewing those screws too many times. Seems like they just screw into the plastic so after a few times could make it hard to screw them in tight.

As for the feedback about the filter, I don't notice anything. :D

Southernroadrunner
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Ok..to try and bring this back on topic, installed the K&N. Easy install. I was a little worried when I saw posts on the Amazon feedback about breaking things. Squeezed the yellow latch on the one hose and then unscrewed the 3 screws for the top of the airbox and that was it. I'm a little nervous about unscrewing those screws too many times. Seems like they just screw into the plastic so after a few times could make it hard to screw them in tight.

As for the feedback about the filter, I don't notice anything. :D

Haring- I put that sprint filter in when I got me v3 from EC installs the same. Unscrew the 3 bolts slide it in tighten the screws back down done deal. Easy Easy

Marzio
11-09-2016, 08:02 AM
installed 3 months ago, no results, only the possiblity to wash it without discharging anything. my 2.0 diesel engine don't recognise the difference

CoachRick
11-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Was considering switching the '15 L to a K&N engine air filter with the $10 off 50 coupon('sale' price is $40, so I need a filler) but I may just stay with OEM for my first change. It WOULD be nice if spending forty bucks on a filter would make a difference; but it really doesn't look that way.

Anybody got a link to a Mopar filter that isn't that same price? I enjoyed changing the cabin air filter and getting it for under $20.

Donatella
11-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Years ago I did a high flow KnN drop in filter in my Turbo bug. They advertised a 5-8 hp gain , but again can I honestly say I felt it? No. But then I had it chipped at the dealership ( Fort Myers VW was awesome back then ) and added a high flow cat back exhaust.. and yes I DID feel all that.

Im hesitant to go down the mod road with my new 500x. I wasted a lot of money on my bug, put probably 10000 in aftermarket stuff into her and when I sold it, I saw none of it back. I like my car as it is now. Though maybe I might get those red side moldings...

Haring
11-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Ended up trying the Renegade CAI and loving it. Regret spending the $50 on the K&N filter but guess I'll use it still on my trips into the dealership for service.

bryanintowson
11-26-2016, 09:07 AM
The K&N is a high quality filter regardless of what they advertise for HP gains so if you want to spend the money, you will not be doing anything wrong.

CoachRick
11-26-2016, 09:18 AM
The K&N is a high quality filter regardless of what they advertise for HP gains so if you want to spend the money, you will not be doing anything wrong.

Part of me wants to believe that; part of me is skeptical of the concept(like more 'open' filters for your HVAC system at home...what is the optimum air flow vs filtration rate? Even the experts don't agree.) Looking strictly at $$$, the K&N is darned near the price of OEM if you buy it on sale, so as long as it doesn't do any "harm", it actually make sense to use it(provided the whole 'wash, recharge, dry' process isn't too big a pain).

Xtreme500
11-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Ended up trying the Renegade CAI and loving it. Regret spending the $50 on the K&N filter but guess I'll use it still on my trips into the dealership for service.
Which brand intake did you go with, the K N? Also do you have any install pics?

Haring
11-26-2016, 11:20 PM
The AEM. Hear off Renegade forums that the K&N is nicer. If I find a used one I might try it. One of the differences in its design compared to the AEM would get rid of one of the issues between the X and the Renegade. But they changed a couple other parts that I wonder if it'd still fit an X.

streetsurfer
11-27-2016, 10:28 AM
I've kept the stock intake assembly, but made a few modifications to it. K&N and BMC have been used and rest on the shelf to be used as swap-ins during filter maintenance. I am now running a Sprint..

CoachRick
11-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Last day for Black Friday deals at Advance Auto...I may pull the trigger on the K&M

streetsurfer
11-27-2016, 11:57 AM
It would be a good idea to purchase some k&n filter grease too, Rick. It, applied very thinly to the filter frame at point of contact will ensure a good seal when the lid is fastened down, also making fitment of lid to base a lot easier. The back edge of the assembly can tend to flex out of shape squeezing the filter edge too near to creating a gap, which could let in debris. Allowing the frame to slip a little as it is compressed into place will provide for best alignment.

CoachRick
11-27-2016, 12:24 PM
It would be a good idea to purchase some k&n filter grease too, Rick. It, applied very thinly to the filter frame at point of contact will ensure a good seal when the lid is fastened down, also making fitment of lid to base a lot easier. The back edge of the assembly can tend to flex out of shape squeezing the filter edge too near to creating a gap, which could let in debris. Allowing the frame to slip a little as it is compressed into place will provide for best alignment.
Thanks for the tips...Advance Auto is being a pain since they don't have the filter in stock locally and they won't ship the Clean and Re-charge kit...they also don't have the proper oil on sale, so coming up with a $75 order to get free shipping means buying stuff I don't need(again). Dang

CoachRick
11-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Well, I went off the reservation and bought a "no name" filter from the 'zon. Looks like these folks have an Eco division and a Premium line for a few bucks more. I'll inspect this closely and determine if I made a mistake or not :)

Looks like they shipped in about 12 hours, so it should be here in a couple of days...we shall see. Used some Discover points and got the price down to ~$15 for the Premium model !
http://www.pgfilters.com/filters/ (http://www.pgfilters.com/filters/)

Haring
11-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Which brand intake did you go with, the K N? Also do you have any install pics?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/andyhight/500X/intake_500x_2_zpsn4g9drzd.jpg

Xtreme500
11-28-2016, 04:36 PM
I can't wait to buy one myself now!!!!!

pkgmsu2000
12-08-2016, 06:35 PM
food for thought on the panel or drop in filters, a couple of great reads here

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/more-bad-news-for-drop-in-air-filters/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/ (https://bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/)