PDA

View Full Version : 500x Vibration Concerns?

xtrmnop
10-19-2016, 02:46 AM
So I have about 1500k on my 500x Trekking FWD and I've noticed a prominent vibration when I'm at a dead stop. I normally have my A/C on at all times here in Texas and did kinda noticed the vibration go away a little if i turned it off. Also if I pop it into neutral, the vibration goes away. I've noticed this in other generic vehicles but usually much older cars. This is my first true daily driver that is an automatic transmission, so maybe I'm just being paranoid as I'm use to putting the gear in neutral. Just wondering if anyone wants to chime in or I'm just nit picking. And oh I miss my Abarth.

5port
10-19-2016, 03:45 PM
So I have about 1500k on my 500x Trekking FWD and I've noticed a prominent vibration when I'm at a dead stop. I normally have my A/C on at all times here in Texas and did kinda noticed the vibration go away a little if i turned it off. Also if I pop it into neutral, the vibration goes away. I've noticed this in other generic vehicles but usually much older cars. This is my first true daily driver that is an automatic transmission, so maybe I'm just being paranoid as I'm use to putting the gear in neutral. Just wondering if anyone wants to chime in or I'm just nit picking. And oh I miss my Abarth.

I used to have a little more vibration with the AC on at a stop and in drive. After the last update it seems to have gone away. Very important to make sure you are running the latest update as there have been changes that affect idle quality,etc. I'm at 2500 mi now and no vib with the AC on.

xtrmnop
10-19-2016, 09:29 PM
I used to have a little more vibration with the AC on at a stop and in drive. After the last update it seems to have gone away. Very important to make sure you are running the latest update as there have been changes that affect idle quality,etc. I'm at 2500 mi now and no vib with the AC on.

Thanks, I'll mentioned it to the dealer when I go back to get my steering wheel replaced. They are replacing my entire steering for just a small piece behind the wheel where the volume buttons are.

Joe 500
10-20-2016, 08:38 AM
I had a 2015 Renegade with the 2.4L engine since traded in. I test drove several before I settled on the one purchased. One of the main reasons I purchased the model (Latitude) I did was the lack of vibration from the engine. The 2.4L engine does, in my opinion, cause vibration. Why mine did not vibrate as compared to others I test drove is beyond me. Mine purred like a kitten but I definitely understand the vibration concerns on vehicles with that engine. I really felt it with my foot on the brake at lights in the cars I test drove and did not purchase. I am not sure if the engine mounts are inadequate, the engine has inherit vibration or what the issue could be. I traded mine in because the 9 speed automatic with that engine was awful. One year of ownership (most money of course) and I knew I did not want the Renegade long term. The 500X is built on the same platform and utilizes the same drive trains. I am sure that the vibration problem is the same with both vehicles

Joe 500
10-20-2016, 08:39 AM
I had a 2015 Renegade with the 2.4L engine since traded in. I test drove several before I settled on the one purchased. One of the main reasons I purchased the model (Latitude) I did was the lack of vibration from the engine. The 2.4L engine does, in my opinion, cause vibration. Why mine did not vibrate as compared to others I test drove is beyond me. Mine purred like a kitten but I definitely understand the vibration concerns on vehicles with that engine. I really felt it with my foot on the brake at lights in the cars I test drove and did not purchase. I am not sure if the engine mounts are inadequate, the engine has inherit vibration or what the issue could be. I traded mine in because the 9 speed automatic with that engine was awful. One year of ownership (most money of course) and I knew I did not want the Renegade long term. The 500X is built on the same platform and utilizes the same drive trains. I am sure that the vibration problem is the same with both vehicles

Was meaning to state "lost money of course"

Haring
10-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Remembered this post when I was sitting in a drive thru. Decided to leave the car in drive and turn on the AC. Mine does it. Put it in neutral and it's not that bad. Every 4 cylinder car I've ever had does it.

Fiat500USA
10-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Fiat Technical Service Bulletin 09-008-16 June 14, 2016

SUBJECT: Fiat 500X and Jeep Renegade 2.4L Engine Replacement

This bulletin is about replacing the long block due to a crankshaft imbalance condition.

This is for 500X models with a 2.4L I4 Multiair Engine (Sales Code ED6) built on or after December 05, 2015 (MDH 1205XX) and on or before January 31, 2016 (MDH 0131XX).

Some cars may exhibit a vibration in the engine. Now what is normal and what is not would have to be determined because, as was posted, 4 cylinder motors can and do vibrate. You may want to bring this service bulletin to you dealer's attention if you think your engine is vibrating more than it should, but don't expect a new engine if there is nothing wrong.

PLP
10-21-2016, 07:52 AM
If vibrations is due to imbalanced crankshaft, it will not go away with engine speed increasing. It might actually get worse. At some speeds the vibration may seem to subside, but then it will come back.

However, if you have no vibrations and it all of sudden appears with A/C on - then it is rather due to engine mounts or improper position of the engine or too low idle speed (IAC malfunctioning).

As an example - my car is Forte. It is I4, 1.6 T GDI. OEM engine mount is very soft. Basically you get no vibrations transmitted into the car. However, once you replace with polyurethane mount - game changes.
See the video: A/C on at idle speed. Whenever A/C kicks in - oh well, you could hear hood rattle.
It is stick shift.

http://youtu.be/N9n8uUmBi3w

http://youtu.be/35knJAyJyUM

As for our FIAT.
It does not exhibit excessive shaking or vibration. Not that I noticed yet.

datasage
10-22-2016, 01:52 AM
The only time I've noticed it is when my 500x is idle and in gear. Seems to be more likely to happen when the engine is cold than not. It's like an oscillating vibration that seems to go through the entire car.

I most notice when I leave my garage. I often have to wait a bit to turn into the street due to traffic.

It goes away changing into neutral or even revving the engine a bit. It just happens to be an issue at the idle speed the engine is at that is at that it seems to transmit through the entire car.

I am going for an oil change and will get flash updates tomorrow. We will see if this changes the idle speed at all.

bryanintowson
10-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Good luck!

Fiat500USA
10-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Some of the flashes address idle issues and trans behavior when cold, so it is highly recommended to get all the latest ones done. There are also a flash that updates the amp in 6.5 Uconnects so get that done too. If they hassle you about getting that flash, say the the stereo sounds unsatisfactory. ;)

datasage
10-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Issue might be resolved after updates, need a few more days to see if it comes back again.

The updates did also seem to smooth out the remaining shift issues, quite smooth now.

bryanintowson
10-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Glad this seems to have been solved. Please keep us apprised!

pkgmsu2000
10-24-2016, 02:29 PM
keep your eye on the engine mounts, as the mounts in the Dart are very low quality and failing around 25,000 miles.

xtrmnop
11-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Some of the flashes address idle issues and trans behavior when cold, so it is highly recommended to get all the latest ones done. There are also a flash that updates the amp in 6.5 Uconnects so get that done too. If they hassle you about getting that flash, say the the stereo sounds unsatisfactory. ;)

I got back from the dealer and they apparently had four flashes for my car. Unfortunately it did not resolve the idle issue but I did notice shifts are a little smoother and the gears are not holding at a higher revs than before. Not sure if they updated my 6.5 uconnect. What does the update to the amp does?