PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Renegade Heavy Braking Issue

Jeffb99tx
10-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Hi follow X owners, did anyone see this article on the Jeep cousin Renegade?

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/videos-show-the-jeep-renegade-has-a-scary-problem-under-1787687990

I wonder if the Fiat's have the potential for this issue as well? I do not have the guts to try this test with my wife's X. She would not be pleased if she caught me.

Report back if anyone tries this.

Thanks,

Jeff

2016 500x Lounge

Robert Nixon
10-14-2016, 09:50 PM
The video of the rear wheels coming up looks real dramatic and everything, but I don't know that it's something to worry about. The later videos where they show the Renegade doing the lane change drill still said it had a fairly low roll-over risk. To me the facts are that just about any car can roll over, go up on 3 or 2 wheels if you drive it hard enough.

Fiat500USA
10-15-2016, 01:31 AM
Renegade video :

http://youtu.be/dCEthdH7iYw

Renegade Mouse Test

http://youtu.be/o9o7OKqw7wk

Jeffb99tx
10-15-2016, 10:18 AM
The Jeep shown had a faulty brake proportional valve that was sending too much brake pressure to the front wheels. He had it fixed and no further issues. I am not too worried about this on my X and hopefully the proportional valve is working fine. I would be curious if anyone has tried such a panic stop test on our X's.

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, TX

Fiat500USA
10-15-2016, 12:24 PM
The Jeep shown had a faulty brake proportional valve that was sending too much brake pressure to the front wheels. He had it fixed and no further issues. I am not too worried about this on my X and hopefully the proportional valve is working fine. I would be curious if anyone has tried such a panic stop test on our X's.

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, TX

I've done a full bore, mash the brake pedal to activate the ABS to avoid a deer panic stop and there were no problems. Perfect stability and it was on an uneven country road. Here are a few brake related features the 500X comes with for reference:

Anti-lock brake system (ABS):
Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions

Anti-lock brake system with rough-road detection:
Anti-lock brake system is capable of detecting if the vehicle is driving on a rough road by the oscillations in the wheel speed signals. When rough road is detected on off-road surfaces or trails, ABS enters a different pressure control where it will hold the brake pressure for longer pulses

All-speed traction control system:
Part of the standard anti-lock brake system (ABS), helps keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during all speeds by applying individual brakes alone or in combination with engine torque limitation to prevent wheel slip

Brake assist:
In an emergency brake situation, the system applies maximum braking power, minimizing the stopping distance

Brake-lock differential system (BLDS):
Allows the vehicle to maintain forward motion if one or two wheels lose traction by selectively and aggressively applying brakes to the spinning wheel

Electronic brake-force distribution:
Assists the driver to optimize stopping distances and control under all vehicle loading conditions by regulating braking pressure front-to-rear

Here is the full list of features on the 500X: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2014/11/fiat-500x-safety-features.html

Jeffb99tx
10-16-2016, 09:22 PM
The later videos where they show the Renegade doing the lane change drill still said it had a fairly low roll-over risk. To me the facts are that just about any car can roll over, go up on 3 or 2 wheels if you drive it hard enough.

I wonder if the Jeep's have the same suspension settings as the Fiat's. I consider the suspension in my X to be firm and thought it would have done good in the 45 mph lane change / moose test. It is good to know that it did fine.

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, Tx (where there are no moose but there are deer, antelope and javelinas)

Fiat500USA
10-17-2016, 12:49 AM
The 500X has different suspension settings compared to a Renegade. The 500X is set up for sharper turn in and an emphasis on European car like handling and street performance. The Jeep is set up for its traditional role as an rugged SUV with off-road capability. You can tell the difference when driving them. The Fiat feels more refined and car-like. The Jeep is more natural blasting down unpaved roads.

PLP
10-17-2016, 08:34 AM
It does not seem to me like brakes issue. It is more suspension.
Brakes do stop the car. There is nothing like too much braking force. You can say only there is not enough.

However, the suspension seems to take too big dive allowing poorly designed weight distribution in the first place to shift way too much to the front causing lift of the rear.

Does FIAT suffer from it? I do not know yet. I can be assured though that the brakes on ours work fine.
Just a few days ago while cruising at 55 mph my wife had to preform emergency braking with evasive maneuver. A distracted driver from a side road decided to "merge" the traffic.
She slammed the brakes and stopped the car with no problem.

Going back to Jeep.
There are no more issues reported. Maybe that is some version sold in Italy (or Europe in general) only.
Yet, I find it puzzling why you could lift rear of the car. Brakes should lock before this can happen. Car is not like a bike... Unless front weight is 70%... and there is too much weight before the front axle.

Again - there is nothing like too much braking force. EBD may be messed up on this one, but that should never result in problems like pictured.

Amacento
10-17-2016, 09:25 AM

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, TX
This. The Spanish reviewer could not duplicate the insane braking in any other Renegade.