PDA

View Full Version : Cabin filter location and replacement.

PLP
10-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Has anyone changed cabin air filter yet?
Where is it located?

I come from Hyundai/KIA family and all of them had the filter sitting on the blower motor, behind the glovebox.

FIAT says to inspect it once a year and replace it every other year. However, manual says - see dealer. WTF? Cabin filter and see dealer?

So, anyone knows where it is and how to access it?
In friends Croma it was hidden behind firewall, under wipers. I wonder if this is not the case here as well.

Robert Nixon
10-12-2016, 10:39 AM
I just Googled it and found a video:

http://youtu.be/yzzId65xGRY

PLP
10-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I found it in the meantime.
Thanks though.

pkgmsu2000
10-12-2016, 03:45 PM
is that a video of a US version of the X?

PLP
10-12-2016, 03:52 PM
is that a video of a US version of the X?

Hard to say, but it seems to be correct.
I peeked a bit and it looked like the filter is actually behind the glovebox. Except here, unlike in Hyundai/KIA, you must remove screws to get the whole glovebox removed. In KIA I need to pop two locks and the glovebox "tray" drops all the way to the floor (still on the hinges). Rest is almost same except extra brackets in the way in FIAT...
So again, I kind of knew it was there only was not sure how to access it.

OM would not even show location of the filter.

From my experience, two years is way too long for it. I find mine, and they are comparable size, to be dirty enough after only 6 months to restrict air flow.

500X_JML
10-13-2016, 08:58 AM
I replaced mine after I found that video some time ago. I was able to find an equivalent carbon filter type and used that instead. The replacement process was easy and just as the video showed.

pkgmsu2000
10-19-2016, 04:07 PM
do we have any options for a replacement filter made in the USA?

PLP
10-19-2016, 04:15 PM
do we have any options for a replacement filter made in the USA?

USA vs Italy?

I am not sure... I did not even bother to see who made it. A filter is a filter.

pkgmsu2000
10-19-2016, 04:19 PM
USA vs Italy?

I am not sure... I did not even bother to see who made it. A filter is a filter.

looking for an aftermarket filter made in the USA, always like to keep my countrymen employed buying american products. guess i will check what amazon has to offer

PLP
10-19-2016, 08:43 PM
always like to keep my countrymen employed buying american products.

And you got FIAT...:confusion:

datasage
10-19-2016, 10:13 PM
And you got FIAT...:confusion:

If equipped the Tigershark engine, at least the drivetrain is US made. But these days car manufacturing is part of a global supply chain. Many American cars are not even made in the US, and some "imports" have more US labor than American cars do.

Fiat500USA
10-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Sometimes you can get am odor absorbing filter or just a dust filter, so there can be differences in Cabin Filters. I suggest not getting cheap filters because they can have fitment issues.

PLP
10-20-2016, 08:27 AM
If equipped the Tigershark engine, at least the drivetrain is US made. But these days car manufacturing is part of a global supply chain. Many American cars are not even made in the US, and some "imports" have more US labor than American cars do.

Funny you bring it up.
That is exactly what I thought after reading initial post.
My old '02 Dodge Intrepid, pure American car was made in... Canada.

However, KIA was "assembled" in USA (GA). So go figure.

As much as I get the idea and I am 100% in of supporting local market, I tend to follow product quality. I am sorry, but if my local manufacturer makes a piece of crap, I will not buy it only to support market.

grosa_2002
12-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Studio just quoted $67 to replace the filter. Looks like it should be easy to do. Filter is $21.49 at Napa and even less on ebay.

No brain...er.

Southernroadrunner
12-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Studio just quoted $67 to replace the filter. Looks like it should be easy to do. Filter is $21.49 at Napa and even less on ebay.

No brain...er.

I'm with ya on cutting costs and saving money. But after all the dealer closings at least myself speaking with the reorganization going on were gonna have to do business or try to support the servicing dealers some or were not gonna have any. They will just close up if they don't make any money. Just my thoughts or 2 cents for the day

CoachRick
12-07-2016, 02:41 AM
I'm with ya on cutting costs and saving money. But after all the dealer closings at least myself speaking with the reorganization going on were gonna have to do business or try to support the servicing dealers some or were not gonna have any. They will just close up if they don't make any money. Just my thoughts or 2 cents for the day

I understand the concept; but I'd rather pay the shop to perform tasks that are not so easy. I replaced my engine air filter today and saved a good $50...money I'll happily put toward other maintenance items.

Southernroadrunner
12-07-2016, 01:28 PM
I understand the concept; but I'd rather pay the shop to perform tasks that are not so easy. I replaced my engine air filter today and saved a good $50...money I'll happily put toward other maintenance items.

CoachRick-I am with you a 100% on saving money and doing what you can on your own. When they closed all the dealers on the Gulf Coast before the time of reorganization and combining into CDJ dealers which just recently started,it left us folks here having to drive a minimum of 4 hrs to a Fiat service shop which was pretty lousy.If you took a ruler to a map and went from Houston,Tx to Jacksonville,Fl after the closings we had no dealers on that straight line.Now I'm gonna do my own filters and stuff like that,I completely agree with you on that..I saw that one person is gonna get charged almost a $1000 for a ball joint from a dealer which I think is a pretty lousy charge.I just was trying to get across if we don't utilize the dealers for some of the work they will be gone again and I know the hourly rate in dealerships is high.Just my 2 cents.