PDA

View Full Version : F1 Japan, October 9 2016

Robert Nixon
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM

There you have the major coverage of the Japanese F1 race coming up this week! I love the back to back races, since one week pretty much just bleeds into the next with all the set up time, press conferences, track walks, 3 practices and qualifying, etc. Having said that, the 3am and 1am race times from Malaysia and Japan are going to kill my sleep cycle, but at least the day after Japan is Columbus Day, so I don't have to go to work on Monday!

I'm thinking this could be an epic last 5 races of the season, since if nothing else we've got Rosberg leading Hamilton for the driver's championship, and it's close. Two years ago, when the Mercedes team started dominating the V6 turbo era, that season also came down to the last race, where a mechanical problem on Rosberg's car knocked him out of the fight to the last lap. Maybe this year will go down to the last lap of the last race between these two.

Since Hamilton is already a 3 time winner, a 4th title for him would put him in rare territory with Schumacher, Prost, and Fangio. On the other hand, I'd personally love to see Rosberg win it this year, for whatever reason I like him a bit more, but both drivers have lots of fans.

Amacento
10-04-2016, 06:22 AM
I can't stand Rosberg. He jumps up'n'down, like a kid, when he wins and throws hats and pouts when he loses. It's unbecoming of a champion. I'd rather see anyone else in first.

Robert Nixon
10-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Yeah he's got his share of negatives too!

The video of Alonso going from 22nd to about 12th in the first lap of Malaysia was pretty amazing, it's in the video section on the F1 page. http://www.formula1.com/en/video.html

Robert Nixon
10-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Also, the Japanese race will be re-broadcast on NBCSN at 7PM eastern, Sunday night. http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=nbcsports

5port
10-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Yeah he's got his share of negatives too!

The video of Alonso going from 22nd to about 12th in the first lap of Malaysia was pretty amazing, it's in the video section on the F1 page. http://www.formula1.com/en/video.html

Wow could he pass any more cars in one lap?

B3NN3TT
10-06-2016, 11:00 AM
REALLY not a Rosberg fan. Hamilton's kind of old-hat, but at least he's not a spoiled child. Rosberg is the Draco Malfoy of Formula 1.

I'm glad Ricciardo is doing well these days; he's really likable, and an excellent driver.

Robert Nixon
10-06-2016, 12:31 PM
at the Japanese press conference today, Alonso answered a question about his ability to pass:

Fernando, there’s been a lot of talk about your starts this year and the fact that in the last five GPs you’ve made up 29 places on the opening lap! Making up places is something you’ve consistently done – in circumstances you’ve had to do it of course – but can you explain a bit about your starts; is it experience, instinct or is it just pure risk taking?

Fernando Alonso: I think it’s a little bit of everything probably. A little bit of luck as well. Sometimes you try to recover places and you try to choose a line into turn one – left or right – and you never know what if going to happen in front of you. It’s a little bit of luck also that you need. Over probably 16 years of Formula One, I recover many, many places so it cannot be only luck every single year. Yeah, probably doing a lot of Playstation and starting last – it’s good practice!

Robert Nixon
10-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Practice 1 ended, and no surprises. As the announcer said on the F1 app, "the top 8 are in Noah's Ark formation" (two by two)

1 Rosberg Mercedes
2 Hamilton Mercedes
3 Vettel Ferrari
4 Raikonnen Ferrari
5 Ricciardo Red Bull
6 Verstappen Red Bull
7 Hulkenberg Force India
8 Perez Force India
9 Alonso McLaren
10 Bottas Williams

Alonso barely tapped a wall after a spin, Grosjean went into the gravel apparently due to brake failure (again).

Chance of rain for qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday, but for now it looks like another Mercedes 1-2, with Rosberg over a second faster than Vettel so far. Red Bull didn't run on soft tires like MB and Ferrari, so look for them to get into the mix with Ferrari later.

Amacento
10-07-2016, 06:50 AM
MB never shows their hand until Saturday. It'll be interesting to see how they improve. RB is earning lots of notice (Good one them). I'm not holding my breath for SF. I'll always cheer them on, but they just didn't make things happen when they most needed to do so... the first 5 races of the season.

Robert Nixon
10-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Rosberg takes poll just about 0.013 ahead of Hamilton! The first lap will be a killer!
Raikkonen and Vettel took 3-4, but with a 3 place grid penalty Vettel will start farther back.
The Red Bulls take 5-6, again they will move up a spot and we'll have Verstappen on the 2nd row.
7-10 were Force India and BOTH HAAS CARS! Awesome, both in the top 10 for the first time, so Grosjean starts 8th and Guttierez 10th. Hoping they get good starts, avoid damage in the 1st lap, and just maybe both finish in the points.
The Williams team continues to have terrible year, neither car in the top ten.
McLaren not so hot in qualifying, Alonso back in 15th (at least he got into Q2), but Button is 16th, didn't get out of Q1.

Also worth noting, Grosjean's final qualifying time was exactly the same as Perez, so I guess the tie-breaker is whoever set the time first. If Grosjean would have been 7th instead of 8th, then he'd move up to 6th (like Perez will) because of the penalty to Vettel.

Edited to add this: Just read this ESPN article on line, the Haas guys are criticizing how Hamilton's last out lap in Q3 slowed them down! Good for them to criticize Mercedes and Hamilton after all the complaining about Haas getting in the way earlier this year! http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17744464/haas-critical-mercedes-esteban-gutierrez-hold-up

Could be a wet race, and in that case, anything could happen in the race! I'm thinking that after getting up for qualifying at 2am today, I just might sleep through the race and watch it for breakfast!

Robert Nixon
10-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Mercedes takes the constructors championship thanks to Rosberg winning and Hamilton finishing 3rd in Japan. Even though he started 2nd on the grid, Hamilton had a terrible start (likely due to a damp track at least partly), and immediately fell back to 8th. He did a good job getting back to 3rd and repeatedly challenging Verstappen for 2nd, but couldn't quite pass the Red Bull. This gives Nico a bit more of a gap going into the last 4 races, so looking forward to the US Grand Prix from Austin TX in two weeks.

Initially the Haas guys held onto 9-10th, but after their first pit stops they couldn't make much ground and finished 11-12. Williams passed them mostly by using a one stop strategy and ending up 9-10, so no more points for Haas.

A late gear box change penalty also bumped Raikkonen off the 2nd row down to 8th at the start, so no podium for Ferrari today.

B3NN3TT
10-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Some great racing between Hamilton and Verstappen late in the game; shame Max had to once again resort to his questionable brake-zone habits to really close the door.

TEXAS!

5port
10-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Some great racing between Hamilton and Verstappen late in the game; shame Max had to once again resort to his questionable brake-zone habits to really close the door.

TEXAS!

Post race the Mercerdes team wanted to file a complaint against Max and Lewis told them to stand down:

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/10/mercedes-protest-verstappens-driving.html