PDA

View Full Version : iPhones and sideways pictures.

Fiat500USA
10-02-2016, 01:04 AM
So you took a great picture and uploaded it to share with everyone on the forum, but guess what? The pictures turns out sideways/upside down. Most likely you have an Apple product and this seems to be a common situation. I've been reading about this and it is generally because the phone is held sideways or upside down when taking the picture.

Some software and websites will recognize that and auto-correct it while others don't. Unfortunately, vBulletin doesn't auto correct that and will post the image the way the phone was held. The simple solution is to hold the camera in the "normal" position*. This way there isn't any issues with the picture being the wrong way and we can enjoy the fruits of your labor!

*"...You can prevent any rotation issues in the future by taking your iPhone photos and videos with the volume buttons pointing down."
http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

I do try to rotate the images when I can, but it is labor intensive as I have to download and re-upload each image and then get the image url and then edit the post. I cannot fix an album image, however. As I don't see an update coming in the near future to accommodate this, if this could be kept in mind when posting pictures that would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

CoachRick
10-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Not
sure
what
you
mean.

Trunkout
10-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Weird. Seems if I hold my iPhone upright (not "volume buttons down) pics are ok.

Fiat500USA
10-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't have an iPhone, but when If I hold my Android phone upright and then turn it counter clockwise it seems to work better. I've tried to find a work around, but it's not a priority at vBulletin.

Fiat500USA
10-02-2016, 10:11 AM
That's what the article said, so any input would be good.

Southernroadrunner
10-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I don't have an iPhone, but when If I hold my Android phone upright and then turn it counter clockwise it seems to work better. I've tried to find a work around, but it's not a priority at vBulletin.

Same with my Android like listing on ebay if I don't do this I always have to go in and turn the pic

MADNESS Jason
10-03-2016, 10:09 AM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=318291

http://www.webcs.com/webcsdocs/docs5/imagick.html

Worth a try.

Tweak
10-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Just don't do the hold normal for pics and even more for videos please...HATE looking at vertically oriented content. :D

Fiat500USA
01-12-2018, 12:03 AM
So you took a great picture and uploaded it to share with everyone on the forum, but guess what? The pictures turns out sideways/upside down. Most likely you have an Apple product and this seems to be a common situation. I've been reading about this and it is generally because the phone is held sideways or upside down when taking the picture.

Some software and websites will recognize that and auto-correct it while others don't. Unfortunately, vBulletin doesn't auto correct that and will post the image the way the phone was held. The simple solution is to hold the camera in the "normal" position*. This way there isn't any issues with the picture being the wrong way and we can enjoy the fruits of your labor!

*"...You can prevent any rotation issues in the future by taking your iPhone photos and videos with the volume buttons pointing down."
http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

I do try to rotate the images when I can, but it is labor intensive as I have to download and re-upload each image and then get the image url and then edit the post. I cannot fix an album image, however. As I don't see an update coming in the near future to accommodate this, if this could be kept in mind when posting pictures that would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

If anyone is having an issue with pictures being sideways, I have someone working on it. We had a fix in place, but it seems to have went away when I did an update. In the meantime, if that happens, just send me a PM and I'll fix it.