PDA

View Full Version : USB port just died

carfreak09
09-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Well, I have my first failure in my X at 17200 miles. I was using the USB port below the HVAC to play my MP3 and I unplugged it like I always do before shutting the car off. The reason I do this is because the port doesn't always turn my MP3 player back on when I restart the car so I have to unplug and plug back in to get it to work. Anyway, I thought I saw a blue spark when I pulled the plug out. Now, the port doesn't work at all. I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse. But even so, it shouldn't blow a fuse from just pulling the plug out. I'll investigate further tomorrow but initially, the fuse box in the X is NOT user friendly (unless there is one inside that I'm not seeing?). Most boxes have a simple snap on/off lid. Not the X! It appears you have to remove a screw and then slide a panel up to gain access. Stupid if you ask me and not something you can fool with in the dark with no tools, as I quickly discovered. Is there a fuse panel inside the car somewhere and what might the USB cable be labeled as on the panel?

As a side note, I also discovered a manufacturing mistake. One of my rear seatbelts was installed wrong, causing the belt to always face the wrong way. To correct the twist, the dealer will have to remove the lower cushion to gain access to the lower bolt. Silly mistake, but it should have been noticed when inspected.

5port
09-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Well, I have my first failure in my X at 17200 miles. I was using the USB port below the HVAC to play my MP3 and I unplugged it like I always do before shutting the car off. The reason I do this is because the port doesn't always turn my MP3 player back on when I restart the car so I have to unplug and plug back in to get it to work. Anyway, I thought I saw a blue spark when I pulled the plug out. Now, the port doesn't work at all. I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse. But even so, it shouldn't blow a fuse from just pulling the plug out. I'll investigate further tomorrow but initially, the fuse box in the X is NOT user friendly (unless there is one inside that I'm not seeing?). Most boxes have a simple snap on/off lid. Not the X! It appears you have to remove a screw and then slide a panel up to gain access. Stupid if you ask me and not something you can fool with in the dark with no tools, as I quickly discovered. Is there a fuse panel inside the car somewhere and what might the USB cable be labeled as on the panel?

As a side note, I also discovered a manufacturing mistake. One of my rear seatbelts was installed wrong, causing the belt to always face the wrong way. To correct the twist, the dealer will have to remove the lower cushion to gain access to the lower bolt. Silly mistake, but it should have been noticed when inspected.

Now I know why they supply a phillips screwdriver with the spare tire kit.

USB jacks are fused but they will be PC board mounted fuses that are tiny. Check the USB cable for pins that were touching. My guess is that the solid state driver for that jack is toast. Probably going to be a dealer visit. I wouldn't use that USB cable again.

datasage
09-28-2016, 09:54 PM
USB jacks are fused but they will be PC board mounted fuses that are tiny. Check the USB cable for pins that were touching. My guess is that the solid state driver for that jack is toast. Probably going to be a dealer visit. I wouldn't use that USB cable again.

There is a possibility that the cable caused a short. Which fried the jack. You may want to look at using a new cable even if you get the jack fixed. The quality of cables can be very inconsistent.

Fiat500USA
09-29-2016, 01:16 AM
I'll investigate further tomorrow but initially, the fuse box in the X is NOT user friendly (unless there is one inside that I'm not seeing?). Most boxes have a simple snap on/off lid. Not the X! It appears you have to remove a screw and then slide a panel up to gain access. Stupid if you ask me and not something you can fool with in the dark with no tools, as I quickly discovered. Is there a fuse panel inside the car somewhere and what might the USB cable be labeled as on the panel?

Yes, like many modern sophisticated cars, the Fiat 500X has three fuse boxes. One under the hood, one under the dash and one in the left rear panel of the rear cargo area.

By the way, There is a fuse listed for the USB port located in the body control fuse panel. Fuse F36.

The engine compartment fuse panel is located on the left side of the engine compartment.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xTX95S-A0-5dUezMZ4cj_hoY2O5CH1niLY2-VjB6jszQymHcNujF0PjDRj_qSrF4YcbrpMz7X7LIjDJwYFYs0g FZ8b1GTxpqb0etbc8sDzgSq4D6QqpVctRY2TNJbh5d3Mv6a3sj
Engine Compartment Fuse Cavities
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/bxM0Nf_isdD78QLXodhvwKV1X89UqIiEBG-H0utQLhRod6zOHg6J309Kpw7yMgcBGJUlYY-k0CSZJzJpETMTJN5EWMbggu_JNBYsVTmYhrEuiE6iWwuHVtHCy IfLTlx3rVWxH546
Fuse Panel And Cover Location

1 — Mounting Screw

2 — Fuse Cover

Removing Fuse Cover and Locking Screw
Proceed as follows:

[*=1]Slowly turn the screw counterclockwise.
[*=1]Slowly release the screw.
[*=1]Remove the fuse cover by sliding it upward.

Mounting Fuse Cover and Locking Screw
Proceed as follows:

[*=1]Properly secure the fuse cover to the box, slide completely from top to bottom.
[*=1]Fully depress the screw, using the special screwdriver supplied.
[*=1]Slowly turn the screw clockwise.
[*=1]Release the screw.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/bHAVDhSaReK3z9mnwHvkno-P5IvOLy2bxCgahVHg6v6R_FhlNvLepl4BW_omoqpoA2maM0Uou GFUSZojdysZ6uwU9gHLjbmQH5sOcciQFwR4wJp33Uc5adMuTid wgfxu1aR6zUS0
Battery Fuse Cover Location

1 — Fuse Cover Tabs

2 — Fuse Cover

Cavity

Maxi Fuse

Cartage Fuse

Mini Fuse

Description

F01
70 Amp Tan

Module Body Computer

F02
60 Amp Blue

Module Body Computer, Rear Distribution Units

F03

20 Amp Blue

Controller Power Supply Body Computer

F04

30 Amp Pink

Brake Control Electronics Module

F05
70 Amp Tan

Electric Power-Assisted Steering

F06
20 Amp Yellow

Engine Cooling fan

F07
50 Amp Red

Engine Cooling fan

F08

30 Amp Pink

Automatic Transmission, GSM

F09

5 Amp Tan
Control Module Engine

F10

10 Amp Red
Horn

F11

10 Amp Red
Supply Secondary Loads

F14

5 Amp Tan
Pump Power "After run"

F15
40 Amp Orange

Brake Control Module Pump

F16

5 Amp Tan
Engine Control Module Power, Automatic Transmission

F17

10 Amp Red
15 Amp Blue
Supply Primary Loads (1.4L)
Supply Primary Loads (2.4L)

F18

30 Amp Green
Power All-Wheel Drive

F19

7.5 Amp Brown
Air Conditioner Compressor

F20

5 Amp Tan
Electronic Power Four-Wheel Drive

F21

15 Amp Blue
Fuel Pump

F22

20 Amp Yelow
Power Control Module Engine

F23

20 Amp Yellow (Customer Installed)
Power Outlet (Battery Powered)

F24

15 Amp Blue
Electronic Unit Supply Automatic Transmission

F30

30 Amp Green
Heated Windshield – If Equipped

F83

40 Amp Green

Air Conditioning Fan

F84

20 Amp Yellow
Power Outlet (Ignition Powered)

F87

5 Amp Tan
Gear Selector Automatic Transmission

F88

7.5 Amp Brown
Heated Outside Mirrors

F89

30 Amp Pink

Heated Rear Window

F90

5 Amp Tan
IBS Sensor (Battery State of Charge)

Body Computer Fuse Center

The controller is located at the left side of the steering column at the bottom of the instrument panel.
For the fuse replacement see your authorized dealer.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/AF_INv7rt_IFROgrOwLcHu-n5e6CEuAftlTpdVwTRyennYp_uJntf7WXeVu7Z9ck-NmCuR2QMnkRLIYY7egqZ_Nyqum-BJxGrQVoGnLpk6YPrtAVTveGRlgpWjGPIe61g_UrKNRN
Body Controller Fuse Cavities

Cavity
Mini Fuse
Description

F31
7.5 Amp Brown
Fan Air Conditioning, Power Socket

F33
20 Amp Yellow
Power Window Front (Passenger Side)

F34
20 Amp Yellow
Power Window Front (Drivers Side)

F36
15 Amp Blue
Supply Uconnect System, Air Conditioning, USB Port, Rear lateral ceiling light in case of open roof, EOBD port

F37
10 Amp Red
System Power Forward Collision Warning Plus, All Wheel Drive (AWD), IPC, Central stack switches, Brake Pedal Switch (NC)

F38
20 Amp Yellow
Central Locking

F42
7.5 Amp Brown
BSM - Brake Control Module, EPS - Electric Power-Assisted Steering

F43
20 Amp Yellow
Bi-directional Pump Washer

F47
20 Amp Yellow
Power Rear Window (Driver Side)

F48
20 Amp Yellow
Power Rear Window (Passenger Side)

F49
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply ParkSense, Spot Lights Front Dome, Internal Electocromic Mirror, Heated Front Seats

F50
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply Air Bag

F51
7.5 Amp Brown
Air Conditioning Compressor, Plaque Automatic Transmission, Rear Camera, Air Conditioning, LDW - Lane Departure Warning, ASS - Auxiliary Stack Switch, DSU - Drive Syle Selector Unit, Reverse gear switch, side mirrors and rear window defrost

F53
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply IPC/Starter Device/System Keyless Enter-N-Go, Brake Pedal Switch (NA), EPB - Electric Parking Brake

Rear Cargo Fuse/Relay Distribution Unit

To access the fuses, remove the access door from the left rear panel of the rear cargo area.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/MWOuv42dnZIR5s30DqESw4vpvu-J2WPBe8HI2p1-uHhG4pfO2oEVVqbHlu9VtnxWe2tdN2GLrosJEBn9L5h4nYqEBG e7n4KtNDntZYVOUVEmIdDdpGH0OI4TLgwCFC8ld4Gkrasi
Access Door Location
Push on the left side of the access door to unhinge and remove.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/aHBYaXtnqlQvFoA-aCsmmqndMP-422t4__v5-v8mCZN-PDXPIxg0QeVkYiA6z3ozow1EJjHEL0qux4lOIyeTMqjMD_m4UB 6t7NHI20YGbs3YcRIxYMFsCNA-On5YDgCgbShvw6Pe
Rear Cargo Fuse Cavities

Cavity

Mini Fuse

Description

F2
20 Amp Yellow
Audio System

F3
20 Amp Yellow
Electric Sunroof

F5
30 Amp Green
Power Seat (driver side)

F6
7.5 Amp Brown
Power Seat (driver side) Lumbar Adjustment

F8
20 Amp Yellow
Heating Front Seats

source:FCA

carfreak09
09-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks Fiat500usa! That's extremely useful info!!

I took my X in today and it pulled a wonky Italian electronics game on me. They untwisted the seatbelt (which they claim was caused by someone who ran wires under the belt mounting point...that would be wires for the rear view cam I had installed, so it was not a Fiat manufacturing mistake) and told me my USB port was working fine. The tech was jamming to his phone in the service area. I didn't believe it so the advisor went with me to my car, where I proceeded to plug in my brand new iPhone charging cord and it didn't work. I then plugged in my MP3 player and it too did not work. The advisor went and got his iPhone cord and it too did not work. So he called the tech over, I showed him all 3 cords were not working and all 3 of them can't be bad so he said let him go get his cord again. I turned the car off. He turned the ignition back on and lo and behold his phone was playing on my radio! So I then proceeded to replug in each of the 3 cords we had tried and they all now work again, including my MP3 player. What the hell?? He doesn't want to replace it since it was working for him. He says he has only had to replace one USB port; that 98% of the time it's a cord problem. I asked them to change the paperwork to document that it did work intermittently in case I have further trouble from it. I guess I have to strike this up to another funky Fiat electronic issue. I just hope it keeps working.

bryanintowson
09-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Glad it's working again. I do admit to chuckling at the mental picture of the tech rocking out in the service bay. :)

Also glad the service department took care of you well.

carfreak09
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone know which fuse to pull to hopefully clear a check engine code? I tried pulling F22 and leaving it off for a long time but the check engine light is still there.

carfreak09
12-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Nevermind, the code cleared on its own. I had caused it by leaving the turbo diverter valve unplugged when I started the car.

Fiat500USA
12-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Anyone know which fuse to pull to hopefully clear a check engine code? I tried pulling F22 and leaving it off for a long time but the check engine light is still there.

Nevermind, the code cleared on its own. I had caused it by leaving the turbo diverter valve unplugged when I started the car.

Sorry I missed this yesterday but glad you got it sorted out. Never thought of pulling the PCM fuse to clear a check engine light. :thumbsup: Cleaner than yanking battery cables if you don't have a code clearer.

bryanintowson
12-29-2016, 09:09 AM
The USB in my 2012 is no longer working. Taking it in today.

bryanintowson
12-29-2016, 04:22 PM
So they replaced the USB port with one presumably for a later model 500 and it did not work with the electronics of the early build 2012 that I have. The original part has been ordered so hopefully it gets here soon!

LunkerHunter127
09-24-2018, 03:36 PM
If this F36 fuse were the problem, wouldn’t all the other functions associated with this fuse be affected?

Yes, like many modern sophisticated cars, the Fiat 500X has three fuse boxes. One under the hood, one under the dash and one in the left rear panel of the rear cargo area.

By the way, There is a fuse listed for the USB port located in the body control fuse panel. Fuse F36.

The engine compartment fuse panel is located on the left side of the engine compartment.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xTX95S-A0-5dUezMZ4cj_hoY2O5CH1niLY2-VjB6jszQymHcNujF0PjDRj_qSrF4YcbrpMz7X7LIjDJwYFYs0g FZ8b1GTxpqb0etbc8sDzgSq4D6QqpVctRY2TNJbh5d3Mv6a3sj
Engine Compartment Fuse Cavities
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/bxM0Nf_isdD78QLXodhvwKV1X89UqIiEBG-H0utQLhRod6zOHg6J309Kpw7yMgcBGJUlYY-k0CSZJzJpETMTJN5EWMbggu_JNBYsVTmYhrEuiE6iWwuHVtHCy IfLTlx3rVWxH546
Fuse Panel And Cover Location

1 — Mounting Screw

2 — Fuse Cover

Removing Fuse Cover and Locking Screw
Proceed as follows:

[*=1]Slowly turn the screw counterclockwise.
[*=1]Slowly release the screw.
[*=1]Remove the fuse cover by sliding it upward.

Mounting Fuse Cover and Locking Screw
Proceed as follows:

[*=1]Properly secure the fuse cover to the box, slide completely from top to bottom.
[*=1]Fully depress the screw, using the special screwdriver supplied.
[*=1]Slowly turn the screw clockwise.
[*=1]Release the screw.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/bHAVDhSaReK3z9mnwHvkno-P5IvOLy2bxCgahVHg6v6R_FhlNvLepl4BW_omoqpoA2maM0Uou GFUSZojdysZ6uwU9gHLjbmQH5sOcciQFwR4wJp33Uc5adMuTid wgfxu1aR6zUS0
Battery Fuse Cover Location

1 — Fuse Cover Tabs

2 — Fuse Cover

Cavity

Maxi Fuse

Cartage Fuse

Mini Fuse

Description

F01
70 Amp Tan
–
–
Module Body Computer

F02
60 Amp Blue
–
–
Module Body Computer, Rear Distribution Units

F03
–
20 Amp Blue
–
Controller Power Supply Body Computer

F04
–
30 Amp Pink
–
Brake Control Electronics Module

F05
70 Amp Tan
–
–
Electric Power-Assisted Steering

F06
20 Amp Yellow
–
–
Engine Cooling fan

F07
50 Amp Red
–
–
Engine Cooling fan

F08
–
30 Amp Pink
–
Automatic Transmission, GSM

F09
–
–
5 Amp Tan
Control Module Engine

F10
–
–
10 Amp Red
Horn

F11
–
–
10 Amp Red
Supply Secondary Loads

F14
–
–
5 Amp Tan
Pump Power "After run"

F15
40 Amp Orange
–
–
Brake Control Module Pump

F16
–
–
5 Amp Tan
Engine Control Module Power, Automatic Transmission

F17
–
–
10 Amp Red
15 Amp Blue
Supply Primary Loads (1.4L)
Supply Primary Loads (2.4L)

F18
–
–
30 Amp Green
Power All-Wheel Drive

F19
–
–
7.5 Amp Brown
Air Conditioner Compressor

F20
–
–
5 Amp Tan
Electronic Power Four-Wheel Drive

F21
–
–
15 Amp Blue
Fuel Pump

F22
–
–
20 Amp Yelow
Power Control Module Engine

F23
–
–
20 Amp Yellow (Customer Installed)
Power Outlet (Battery Powered)

F24
–
–
15 Amp Blue
Electronic Unit Supply Automatic Transmission

F30
–
–
30 Amp Green
Heated Windshield – If Equipped

F83
–
40 Amp Green
–
Air Conditioning Fan

F84
–
–
20 Amp Yellow
Power Outlet (Ignition Powered)

F87
–
–
5 Amp Tan
Gear Selector Automatic Transmission

F88
–
–
7.5 Amp Brown
Heated Outside Mirrors

F89
–
30 Amp Pink
–
Heated Rear Window

F90
–
–
5 Amp Tan
IBS Sensor (Battery State of Charge)

Body Computer Fuse Center

The controller is located at the left side of the steering column at the bottom of the instrument panel.
For the fuse replacement see your authorized dealer.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/AF_INv7rt_IFROgrOwLcHu-n5e6CEuAftlTpdVwTRyennYp_uJntf7WXeVu7Z9ck-NmCuR2QMnkRLIYY7egqZ_Nyqum-BJxGrQVoGnLpk6YPrtAVTveGRlgpWjGPIe61g_UrKNRN
Body Controller Fuse Cavities

Cavity
Mini Fuse
Description

F31
7.5 Amp Brown
Fan Air Conditioning, Power Socket

F33
20 Amp Yellow
Power Window Front (Passenger Side)

F34
20 Amp Yellow
Power Window Front (Drivers Side)

F36
15 Amp Blue
Supply Uconnect System, Air Conditioning, USB Port, Rear lateral ceiling light in case of open roof, EOBD port

F37
10 Amp Red
System Power Forward Collision Warning Plus, All Wheel Drive (AWD), IPC, Central stack switches, Brake Pedal Switch (NC)

F38
20 Amp Yellow
Central Locking

F42
7.5 Amp Brown
BSM - Brake Control Module, EPS - Electric Power-Assisted Steering

F43
20 Amp Yellow
Bi-directional Pump Washer

F47
20 Amp Yellow
Power Rear Window (Driver Side)

F48
20 Amp Yellow
Power Rear Window (Passenger Side)

F49
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply ParkSense, Spot Lights Front Dome, Internal Electocromic Mirror, Heated Front Seats

F50
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply Air Bag

F51
7.5 Amp Brown
Air Conditioning Compressor, Plaque Automatic Transmission, Rear Camera, Air Conditioning, LDW - Lane Departure Warning, ASS - Auxiliary Stack Switch, DSU - Drive Syle Selector Unit, Reverse gear switch, side mirrors and rear window defrost

F53
7.5 Amp Brown
Supply IPC/Starter Device/System Keyless Enter-N-Go, Brake Pedal Switch (NA), EPB - Electric Parking Brake

Rear Cargo Fuse/Relay Distribution Unit

To access the fuses, remove the access door from the left rear panel of the rear cargo area.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/MWOuv42dnZIR5s30DqESw4vpvu-J2WPBe8HI2p1-uHhG4pfO2oEVVqbHlu9VtnxWe2tdN2GLrosJEBn9L5h4nYqEBG e7n4KtNDntZYVOUVEmIdDdpGH0OI4TLgwCFC8ld4Gkrasi
Access Door Location
Push on the left side of the access door to unhinge and remove.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/aHBYaXtnqlQvFoA-aCsmmqndMP-422t4__v5-v8mCZN-PDXPIxg0QeVkYiA6z3ozow1EJjHEL0qux4lOIyeTMqjMD_m4UB 6t7NHI20YGbs3YcRIxYMFsCNA-On5YDgCgbShvw6Pe
Rear Cargo Fuse Cavities

Cavity

Mini Fuse

Description

F2
20 Amp Yellow
Audio System

F3
20 Amp Yellow
Electric Sunroof

F5
30 Amp Green