PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rough shifting

JeremyM3
09-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Hi guys -

I just got a 500x loaner from the dealer, nice looking car. In my opinion much better looking than the 500L.

When you're on it the car seems to drive well, but when driving at low speed / low throttle it shifts HARD.

Is that normal? Has anyone else had the same experience?

ronbo10
09-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Hi guys -

I just got a 500x loaner from the dealer, nice looking car. In my opinion much better looking than the 500L.

When you're on it the car seems to drive well, but when driving at low speed / low throttle it shifts HARD.

Is that normal? Has anyone else had the same experience?

Jeremy- there's a lot on this forum that discusses the shifting quality of the ZF 9 speed auto transmission, but in a nutshell, it is a learning transmission (i.e. the on board computers learn a driver's driving behavior and adjusts over time, also it will adjust for normal wear that occurs over time). Beyond that, there have been a number of reflashes of the various modules affecting shift behavior and quality, with the most recent seeming to be the most successful of the lot. It's possible that your loaner doesn't have the most recent reflash.

While I'm not an owner of a 500X, I have test driven several examples over the past 6 months, most recently within the last few months. Big improvement compared with my earlier test drive. I found the shift quality and shifting behavior to be excellent, whether on the gas or driving it sedately.

5port
09-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Dealer needs to install latest update which cures rough shifting, increases throttle sensitivity and adds weight to the steering at highway speeds.