PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Warning Lights / Wiring Harness

ce0118a
09-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I purchased my 2014 500L from Carmax not even 2 months ago and it's only recently started exhibiting problems. Namely, the dashboard warning lights would come on at random for different reasons. One day it will say "Check Transmission" and "Check Engine", another day it will be the Road Frost Warning light and the temperature display would show 13 F (I live in Austin, TX!). I've had the Check Tire Pressure light come on twice, and even when I topped up the air the dash warning would still be lit.

I went to my local Fiat dealer to ask what was going on, and the service guy and said the problem is a faulty wiring harness that would require complete replacement, to the tune of $3000-$5000. He said the car was driveable, but that I should get it fixed. Unfortunately, it looks like that my extended warranty from Route 66 does not cover this repair.

I'm beyond upset and disappointed...None of this was happening while my car was under the Carmax warranty (hence I have no recourse through them) and the repair quote is unaffordable for me. I'm not really sure what to do or what my options are. Is there anything I could potentially do to resolve this problem?

Jester49
09-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

I purchased my 2014 500L from Carmax not even 2 months ago and it's only recently started exhibiting problems. Namely, the dashboard warning lights would come on at random for different reasons. One day it will say "Check Transmission" and "Check Engine", another day it will be the Road Frost Warning light and the temperature display would show 13 F (I live in Austin, TX!). I've had the Check Tire Pressure light come on twice, and even when I topped up the air the dash warning would still be lit.

I went to my local Fiat dealer to ask what was going on, and the service guy and said the problem is a faulty wiring harness that would require complete replacement, to the tune of $3000-$5000. He said the car was driveable, but that I should get it fixed. Unfortunately, it looks like that my extended warranty from Route 66 does not cover this repair.

I'm beyond upset and disappointed...None of this was happening while my car was under the Carmax warranty (hence I have no recourse through them) and the repair quote is unaffordable for me. I'm not really sure what to do or what my options are. Is there anything I could potentially do to resolve this problem?

I haven't heard of anybody on this board having an issue like yours but in any case it doesn't sound like a wiring issue, sounds more like a BCM module gone insane. I say this because usually if you have a wiring problem it will not be random and all over the place. Is the car out the factory warranty? Fiat has a 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty and a 5 year/50,000 powertrain warranty. the bumper to bumper would cover the the wiring or the BCM. I'm thinking the service guy is clueless.. You could call Fiat Cares and see what your options are, they also have a representative here on the board. What you might try is disconnecting the battery ground wire for about 15 min. and reconnect and see if that makes the issue go away at least for awile and if it does its more likely a faulty BCM .

ce0118a
09-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your reply, hopefully this is a more simple (and less expensive) fix than what the service guy suggested. He didn't even look at the car, he just went by what I said.