PDA

View Full Version : First dealer vistit...7 updates/steering

5port
09-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Vehicle: 500X Easy
delivery date: 2/4/16

On delivery day they performed the updates that were available as of 12/10/15 so I knew I was at least one major update behind. I also was feeling that there was too much steering wheel offset on banked roads so I made an appointment to have the steering checked out.

The service center for my dealer here on Long Island is a major Chrysler/Jeep dealer. So when you wait on-line for service there could be a 500 between two Dodge Rams which is an interesting mix of vehicles (esp bumper to bumper). So far they were very efficient in cycling everyone out. Happy with them so far.

On the steering they found no fault and said it was tracking straight. I'm not surprised as it was just me adapting to a different vehicle. Last car was a Mazdaspeed3 and was VERY crisp steering so I think the X tends to follow the offset in the road more. Maybe someone can comment on this and let me know.

On the updates I needed seven of them and at least two of them made an immediate difference. The transmission is smoother in the lower gears and the accelerator pedal is normal now and I could possibly do without the Go pedal. I'm going to drive it without pedal for a while but huge improvement on the effect of this latest update (which came out in March I believe). Kudos to Fiat.

I'm listing the Updates below. Can someone help me with the abbreviations. I'll fill in the ones I know:

ISP
PCM....Power control module
TCM....Transmission control module
ESM
EPS
ABS....Anti lock brakes
RFH

randY49
09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
On the steering they found no fault and said it was tracking straight. I'm not surprised as it was just me adapting to a different vehicle. Last car was a Mazdaspeed3 and was VERY crisp steering so I thing the X tends to follow the offset in the road more. Maybe someone can comment on this and let me know.
I feel the same way when driving on the interstate. I've been tempted to take it in to check the alignment, but haven't had the time. Now that you say you've experienced something similar, I feel I don't have to worry too much.

Bluex
09-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Just got the updates yesterday while they were replacing the front brakes and rotors under warranty for squealing and pulling to the left when braking.

What a huge difference the updates make!!

The latest PCM and transmission update make the X finally drive like the car it should be!! I am now driving it without the go pedal on or just with the green first stage position. Everyone needs to schedule to get the latest updates ASAP.

Fiat500USA
09-12-2016, 06:04 PM
ISP - ?
PCM....Power control module
TCM....Transmission control module
ESM - Electronic Shift Module
EPS - Electric Power Steering
ABS....Anti lock brakes
RFH - Radio Frequency Hub (RF Hub)

5port
09-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Just got the updates yesterday while they were replacing the front brakes and rotors under warranty for squealing and pulling to the left when braking.

What a huge difference the updates make!!

The latest PCM and transmission update make the X finally drive like the car it should be!! I am now driving it without the go pedal on or just with the green first stage position. Everyone needs to schedule to get the latest updates ASAP.

Thanks for this tip. I've been driving with the new updates and the Go Pedal in the ECO 0 position and its one well rounded car now. Torque is added in the low end and am able to hold the gears with my foot again. Good stuff.

ronbo10
09-14-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm really glad to hear that it seems FCA finally have a handle on the ZF 9 Speed. The last time I test drove a 500X, my observations were similar to what is being reported on this thread.

I did note that TTAC (The Truth About Cars) had an article by one of their contributors on a Chrysler Pacifica he drove stating they have the ZF (nearly) ironed out, and went on to state that for the most part the transmission behaved (paraphrasing) in an exemplary manner, with the exception of a few times while driving at interstate speeds in 9th gear, it would drop into 8th with a heck of a clunk. In the comments below the article, however, several folks chimed in that the ZF's in their respective vehicles were working fine, with nothing to complain about. So that's good. I have to say that in the Pacifica reviews I've read they were all either praising, or at least not complaining, about the ZF 9 Speed.

I think virtually all modern automatic transmissions will have their detractors and admirers.

5port
09-21-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm now convinced after a road trip today that this update tightened up the steering in Auto mode. Much more noticeable on the highway than around town. I like it.

5port
01-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Edit: sorry error