PDA

View Full Version : Yearly Trek to Limerock Historics Weekend in a 500X

5port
08-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Well its that time of year again...Historics weekend at Limerock, CT. Last trip there (IMSA race weekend) seems the 500X was barely noticed. I think other than Abarths there were a noticeable lack of new Fiats on hand. It would be nice to have a Fiat car corral but we would need numbers. I've noticed comments by others on the board about the Trek to "the rock". I'm sure to see new 124s there and that's great as I haven't been to the dealer to check them out. I will be there Saturday the 3rd and will keep an eye out for other Fiat owners. 2.5 hour trip from LI. Here are a couple pix from 2014 Historics:

http://www.limerock.com/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/Historic2014/Historic030_zpsbb6e3f65.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/Historic2014/Historic048_zpsaa783a87.jpg

Robert Nixon
08-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Great photos, I'd love to visit Lime Rock some day.

Joe
08-31-2016, 10:59 AM
I'll be there with either my Abarth or an Alfa.

5port
08-31-2016, 11:22 AM
I'll be there with either my Abarth or an Alfa.

Excellent Joe. My name is John and will keep an eye out.

Robert the nearest I've been to you is Summit Point waaaay back when Hans Stuck was in IMSA GTO. Limerock is a great track. I took Skip Barber racing school there in 1990 and have been there at least three times a year since.

ronbo10
08-31-2016, 06:43 PM
I briefly lived in Connecticut back in the days before the internet. One week in May of that year I had a vague understanding that there was to be an IMSA race that weekend (I think this was when Geoff Brabham had started to dominate in the Nissan). So I took a trek up that Sunday morning, and lo and behold the circuit was closed! What the heck?

Turns out I had the weekend right, but the track is closed for racing on Sundays (stemming from an injunction a local Episcopalian church managed to get from a local court, which was later upheld by the state's Supreme Court, and stands to this day).

A little historical tidbit: The circuit opened in 1957, and in 1959 hosted the "Little Lemans" race, which was won by Charles Callanan and Roger Penske, in nothing other than a Fiat Abarth! Pretty neat stuff.

5port
08-31-2016, 06:59 PM
I briefly lived in Connecticut back in the days before the internet. One week in May of that year I had a vague understanding that there was to be an IMSA race that weekend (I think this was when Geoff Brabham had started to dominate in the Nissan). So I took a trek up that Sunday morning, and lo and behold the circuit was closed! What the heck?

Turns out I had the weekend right, but the track is closed for racing on Sundays (stemming from an injunction a local Episcopalian church managed to get from a local court, which was later upheld by the state's Supreme Court, and stands to this day).

A little historical tidbit: The circuit opened in 1957, and in 1959 hosted the "Little Lemans" race, which was won by Charles Callanan and Roger Penske, in nothing other than a Fiat Abarth! Pretty neat stuff.

Sunday is the day for the concorso car shows on the front straight. The church wins.

Edit: Neat info on Roger in the Abarth (what a picture).

Xtreme500
08-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Dang I wish I could go but I will roughing it out at the six flags just north of there.