PDA

View Full Version : Autoweek 500X Trekking Review

randY49
08-12-2016, 11:41 AM
http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2016-fiat-500x-trekking-review-vision-giallo

Mostly positive review from Autoweek. The few dings were the nine-speed transmission and a lack of cargo space (as well as the $1,000 premium for giallo). The second reviewer calls the interior "cheap", which surprised me. I mean, it's not a Mercedes, but I wouldn't use the word cheap.

Robert Nixon
08-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I liked the headline: "Our favorite (non Abarth) Fiat, by a wide margin"

pkgmsu2000
08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
ZERO mention of 1.4T FWD 6-speed Pop trim which IMHO has more pep than the plagued 2.4L 9-speed trims

randY49
08-15-2016, 09:11 AM
ZERO mention of 1.4T FWD 6-speed Pop trim which IMHO has more pep than the plagued 2.4L 9-speed trims
Well... not exactly zero; last line of the 'Other Voices' section:

"You can only get a manual transmission with the 160-hp engine, as opposed to this 180, and only on the base “Pop” trim, in case you’re interested."

Haring
08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Test drove a used Trekking this weekend. Turned the dial for sport mode and it had the worst jerk sensation between 1st and 2nd gear. Ended up putting the dial back in the middle for regular driving.

randY49
08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Test drove a used Trekking this weekend. Turned the dial for sport mode and it had the worst jerk sensation between 1st and 2nd gear. Ended up putting the dial back in the middle for regular driving.
I've not used Sport mode a whole ton, but don't recall 1st-2nd being more abrupt. Since it was used it may not have the most recent updates for the transmission. Just something to keep in mind.

Moonfiat
08-27-2016, 03:02 AM
I've always found the 1-2 in sport mode to be out of character for the X. It makes the 1-2 shift behave like a pit gear in racing where you have a short first gear to get to speed and out of the pits. That's fine for perhaps a Corsa mode for racing but not a sport mode where you just want some responsiveness. Once on the move, sport works well darting through moving traffic and twisty road encounters.

Donatella
11-25-2016, 08:15 AM
I think many reviewers lose their objectivity over time just as doctors lose their compassion or leave it up to the nurses.
To say the Fiat 500x interior is cheap, is just snobbery. Inside and out I find the fit and finish to be superb. The only vaguely rough seam I've found is right behind the steering wheel , where it doesn't show. I also love the texturing of the hard surfaces and the generous padding of the door panels, arm rests etc. Even the Trekking dash grey panel has metallic bits that sparkle mutely in the sun. I think the only thing that feels cheap at all are the sunscreen handles , they remind me of my 2002 Snap Orange Beetle, light grey and lightweight.

Now you wanna talk ugly and cheap, look to the Renegade. That interior feels like your driving down the road in a Rubbermaid trash can.