PDA

View Full Version : Code P0299

WileyCoyote
07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
First off I love everything about my 500L. The versatility and drivability makes it a great car for my family. However just before the 50,000 mile factory warranty (like less than 100 miles) I get a CEL. Great of course it goes off just before it's out of warranty. Well when reading the code it's the P0299 Turbo Underboost. Seeing as how I need my car to work and can't miss work I have to keep driving it past the 50,000 mark. So I guess I'm screwed because now it's "out of warranty" and I'm probably going to get it replaced out of pocket.

Question, would extreme heat cause the turbo to report and underboost? I moved from an area where the Horst temp was 90s to a place where the temp reaches 110+. The CEL only goes off when I drive during those hotter times and will sometimes clear itself if I drive during cooler times.

Trunkout
07-30-2016, 01:53 PM
I don't get a CEL... But over 90 and my cars boost drops off under WOT.
I'm thinking a FMIC will fix it.

Haring
07-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Is this the first time you got the CEL? My Abarth had it once about a year ago. Then did it again a couple months ago. Only took it in because it happened a third time when I was near the dealership. I don't think just because the light comes on that you'll need a new turbo.

DeSoulo
07-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Some discussion here:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?25369-Possible-update-for-turbo

WileyCoyote
07-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Trunkout,

The first time it came on and I read the code it was the P0299 which is the underboost. It'll come on only when its hot outside and I try and give it some throttle (i.e. driving up a hill or getting on freeway) but I've noticed that the light turned off when i started it in the cold. Not sure what did it specifically.

WileyCoyote
07-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Is this the first time you got the CEL? My Abarth had it once about a year ago. Then did it again a couple months ago. Only took it in because it happened a third time when I was near the dealership. I don't think just because the light comes on that you'll need a new turbo.

Hopefully don't need a new turbo. Its come on a handful (I may have been a bad person and cleared the code) and it once turned off on its own. Its not always tripping the CEL. Just when its hot and I've giving it a bit more throttle so my guess would be the underboost may be caused by the heat.

WileyCoyote
07-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Some discussion here:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?25369-Possible-update-for-turbo

Read up on the discussion and it seems like a new solenoid may be in order. I'd like to get an OEM one or something that is truly just plug and play. Not looking for cutting and tires or trying to mount an aftermarket part unless doing so is cost effective and may help in the long run.

bryanintowson
07-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Check with your local studio and see if a rental is covered as part of your warranty. Mine usually is. Also, my local studio has a deal with the Enterprise down the street for rentals at a very low cost for out of warranty work.

WileyCoyote
07-31-2016, 10:13 PM
First off, Bryanintowson, I had to drive to work so the CEL had to wait till work and back. So the 50,000 miles has come and gone. So out of warranty. But to update, I bought my car used so I had no idea if the WGA had been done so I checked. First off, pulling the final heat shield sucks with the line that crosses over it. However I wrangled it off. The WGA was already set to 7 full rotations but I did an 8th full rotation. Then putting it back together sucks with the bolt on the bottom left of the bottom (first going back on) heatshield that's impossible to see and you have to tread it through the line support. All around pain. Well I've driven the 70 + miles with the WOT and some good test accelerations and no code. I have a boost gauge that I'm monitoring the boost and so far it seems constant. No dipping like it used to. However I can't confirm that it's fixed because it was cooler today so the test parameters aren't the same but so far so good. I'll keep things updated.

WileyCoyote
08-01-2016, 06:45 PM
So today after making the WGA I still got the p0299 code on the way to our destination (around the 50 mile mark). The outside temp was normal and the only change is I put my madness go pedal on eco. It had been normally off because of the code but on long trips I turn it on. Once I reached my destination I cleared the trouble code and turned to gopedal off. On the return trip no code. So I'm not sure exactly what's causing it. Could be the solenoid so I'll attempt to replace that next.

WileyCoyote
08-13-2016, 01:48 AM
Update:

Tonight I was driving on the freeway and getting 15-20 PSI boost when out of nowhere the check engine light comes on and my boost will no longer go above 5-7psi.

First: what is max psi for the the 1.4 Multi Air Turbo engine? My wastegate actuator rod is at 8mm (16 full rotations) and with that getting no more that 20-25 psi. Should I go more?

Next: I'm looking for the boost sensor that tells the car it's getting an underboost as I want to check the connections and possibly replace it.

Next: I know that boost solenoid sometimes goes bad and I want know where I can get a good one that's easy to install as I know that part sometimes goes out causing it to open the wastegate.

Lastly: Is it possible to replace the piece (the name escapes me) that activates the wastegate? As I want to be able to replace that of needed.

I really don't to pay parts and labor for a turbo replacement unless it's a last resort.

Thanks in advance for the info.

WileyCoyote
08-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Hopefully Last update:

I recent acquired a Bonalume Blow Off Adapter Plate (yes I know it's just a noise maker). Upon removing the stock valve I noticed the (pardon my terminology as in not as well versed) black plastic part that goes inside the post compressor piping was not connected to the blow off actuator (might be the wrong term) fully and was slightly loose off the spring. Since reattaching I haven't seen a CEL/MIL. It's been a week or more since the install/repair with no codes.

Someone who knows more about it, could that have been what's causing the Code and light?

NGEN
08-28-2016, 10:39 PM
So what's this short shifter you have in your signature?

WileyCoyote
08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
So what's this short shifter you have in your signature?

Buddy of mine works at a shop where he and I mocked up a short shift adapter to raise the fulcrum point to reduce the throw then printed it using one of the machines at his shop. The real trouble was the reverse lockout but my buddy was able to work around it and made sure it's still fully functional.

Then we created a shifter knob that I need to remove from the signature because I no longer use it.

WileyCoyote
09-11-2016, 05:45 PM
I know this thread is basically dead as I haven't gotten the answers from a previous post but here goes another update.

Yesterday as I was driving home, I got the CEL/MIL again. Same codes P2099 & P2009 P/D. When I checked codes and cleared them I was hoping that was the end. Well driving it today I noticed my boost was VERY low (7 psi max) compared to what it was doing (20-25 PSI) and the vacuum when off the throttle was off too (10 mmHg vs 20 mmHg). Haven't looked at it yet hoping it's just a bad connection on the blow off valve again. Also going to be looking and resetting the preload on the WGA again to try and iron out what is going on. If all else fails I'll make a boost leak gauge and test that out.

Trunkout
09-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Warm out? On the freeway?

WileyCoyote
09-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Warm out? On the freeway?

I'm not sure what you mean.

The CEL/MIL came on cruising in the freeway (doing approx 75mpg). Side note, I also loose cruise control when the light comes on. Back at it, I felt like during the first part of my drive today it was fine it wasn't till around 2 that I was driving on the freeway and noticed a decreased boost and vacuum changes. It did get progressively worse as the drive went on culminating in almost no boost before I go home. It wasn't a "hot" day but it was warmer than it has been. Does that help? Is there anything I need to look at? I'm going to look at my BOV to see if that valve is loose again.

Trunkout
09-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Yep. Looks like you had a little heat soak.
Pretty normal. If it happens A LOT look into heat management.

WileyCoyote
09-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Yep. Looks like you had a little heat soak.
Pretty normal. If it happens A LOT look into heat management.

I just got a SILA Concepts Turbo Blanket. The drive I got the light was the first long drive since installing. I was under the impression that the blanket was supposed to help not hurt the heat soak.

Trunkout
09-12-2016, 12:25 PM
My next step is FMIC. I really think the stock setup is the culprit after trying several different intake configs.

WileyCoyote
09-12-2016, 06:16 PM
My next step is FMIC. I really think the stock setup is the culprit after trying several different intake configs.

I can confirm Heat soak isn't the main culprit. Today roughly 18 hours after the heavily reduced boost yesterday and I am still not getting the same boost I used to. I think it may be my Blow off Value so once my engine cools down from the drive, I'm going to remove it and see if that's the culprit. I'm also going to clean my K&N Filter and recharge it to see if that helps. I also bought some Titanium Heat wrap to help the intake pipes.

Trunkout
09-12-2016, 06:46 PM
I just realized you got a 500L. I got an Abarth. Two different worlds.

WileyCoyote
09-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I just realized you got a 500L. I got an Abarth. Two different worlds.

Same engine though. I do believe my BOV is leaking because I have an adapter plate for atmospheric dump and I am getting almost no whoosh when I let off the throttle or push in the clutch. Hopefully the WG isn't stuck open letting the exhaust bypass the turbine. As I don't smell any exhaust leaks I can be certain that the exhaust side of the turbo isn't leaking. But being by myself currently, I can't spool up the turbo and be right next to the BOV to check for leaks.

Also checked my gauge lines to ensure they don't have any issues.

Fiat500USA
09-12-2016, 08:51 PM
The 500L has 21 psi peak boost compared to the 500 Abarth's 18 psi. That may push whatever known issues the Abarth has even more.

WileyCoyote
09-12-2016, 10:41 PM
The 500L has 21 psi peak boost compared to the 500 Abarth's 18 psi. That may push whatever known issues the Abarth has even more.

I was getting about that prior to getting 7 when we thought it was heat soak. When I stared it up today it barely made 7 and diminished as the drive went on. There's got to be a leak somewhere and since I can hear the turbo spooling and don't smell exhaust underneath the bonnet it has to be before combustion.

WileyCoyote
09-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Update:

For anyone still following this process, I completely pulled off the blow off valve and intake to verify the compressor still spins freely and doesnt stick anywhere. Seemed fine. Blow off seemed to be in one piece and functioning properly. Then took off the turbo cover, brace, and blanket to check the Wastegate adjustment it's sitting at 6mm preload which from my research is normal. Then upon putting things back together, I noticed the make up air hose "clip" (yellow band connector on intake pipe pre turbo) wasn't clamping down holding the hose to the port. I was able to replace the clip and I haven't had any problems with noticeable under boost or error codes. Not sure if that hose connection was the issue or if I put something back together properly.

If something else happens I'll be back.