PDA

View Full Version : Automobile Mag: Abarth 124 vs. Miata Club

aevansgatech
07-18-2016, 03:13 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-fiat-124-spider-abarth-2016-mazda-mx5-miata-club/

randY49
07-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Is anything about this article accurate? I thought it was just going to be called the 124 Abarth now. And is it really on sale now like the article states?

Amacento
07-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I thought it was just going to be called the 124 Abarth now. And is it really on sale now like the article states?
The "Elaborazione" is no longer part of the name. I guess they missed the fact the fender badge is gone. Fail.

To my knowledge the A124 is not available yet. But they're reviewing it and that's a good thing for those of us awaiting the official release.

Klasse Act
07-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Which complicated name is best complicated name?

Fiat500USA
07-19-2016, 01:50 AM
They probably used the Elaborazione name for SEO purposes and to link their articles, if not they didn't get the memo.laugh2 The cars provided to drive were pre-production versus the Mazda which has been out for a bit, so there is always the possibility of some tweaks being done. Technically, you could go to a dealer and put a deposit on an Abarth, and then the dealer could try to locate a car once they are available. Last I heard was end of summer or even 3rd quarter, but you never know!

aelfwyne
07-19-2016, 05:48 AM
They apparently dislike the Fiat engine as well.

rnddude
07-19-2016, 09:17 AM
They apparently dislike the Fiat engine as well.
It reinforces my opinion that the engine is just not up to Abarth standards. It should have been at least 200HP IMHO.

Trunkout
07-19-2016, 10:31 AM
It reinforces my opinion that the engine is just not up to Abarth standards. It should have been at least 200HP IMHO.
You know that is really easy to achieve with a tune!

aevansgatech
07-19-2016, 12:57 PM
In my opinion, they pretty much just stated the difference between NA and Turbocharging. I expect the Miata engine to be more linear in delivery, but is underpowered throughout. The 1.4T has some lag as with any turbo engine, but delivers a bigger punch.

I don't think they made any bold statements or said they didn't like the Fiat engine, they just "picked on" the most generic things they could

aelfwyne
07-19-2016, 05:41 PM
You know that is really easy to achieve with a tune!

However, many buyers are not going to consider a tune. For a large portion, they're going to leave it at the out of the box experience.

Same with Abarth... I'm amazed that when you run into random Abarth owners in public, many of them are runnign completely stock. those of us with heavily modified cars are the exception, not the rule, despite what you'd think form the forums.

In my opinion, they pretty much just stated the difference between NA and Turbocharging. I expect the Miata engine to be more linear in delivery, but is underpowered throughout. The 1.4T has some lag as with any turbo engine, but delivers a bigger punch.

I don't think they made any bold statements or said they didn't like the Fiat engine, they just "picked on" the most generic things they could

True, in a sense. But in the end, they did state they'd have the Fiat with the Mazda engine.