PDA

View Full Version : What kind of discount are people getting?

Nuieve
07-16-2016, 12:48 AM
Had a loaner one and loved it. It's not perfect, but it's time to replace wife's aging GLK.

My Abarth had MSRP of 26k and I paid 19k for it. I kind of expect similar discount on 500x.

What do they sell for nowadays?

datasage
07-16-2016, 01:36 AM
It might be earlier to get that kind of deal. It looks like my local studio is giving a 3k discount. Some may give more discounts if you take the dealer financing.

johnkatos
07-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Purchased our 500x Lounge Collection 1 on April 9, MSRP was mid $28k we got around $6300 off. Same model at same dealer, different color, is now $4900 off. Their AWDs vary in discount from $4700 to $5300.

Trunkout
07-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Purchased our 500x Lounge Collection 1 on April 9, MSRP was mid $28k we got around $6300 off. Same model at same dealer, different color, is now $4900 off. Their AWDs vary in discount from $4700 to $5300.

THIS. This is what is NOT helping Fiat. Just come out with lowball price! Don't show it as 30k actually turning out to be 22k after rebates. How does that help sales/getting people in the door?

Andree
07-16-2016, 01:40 PM
THIS. This is what is NOT helping Fiat. Just come out with lowball price! Don't show it as 30k actually turning out to be 22k after rebates. How does that help sales/getting people in the door?

Sometimes I think with a new model, the manufacturer should actually give away the cars. A hundred or so. Why? To get the cars out there, where they can be seen by the general public. To get the cars out there in various driving conditions to see how they fare. With brochures in hand, that can be put in a holder on the window on the outside whenever the car is parked. And with the MSRP/build sheet right there too, so folks know what the cost of the specific vehicle is that they are looking at.

Want to plant the seed that this car is worth this much. Period.

If the folks wander into a dealership after seeing the car and being interested in the car, and there is some kind of bonus incentive, woo hoo. But they went in expecting this car to cost this much. Period.

Andree
07-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Had a loaner one and loved it. It's not perfect, but it's time to replace wife's aging GLK.

My Abarth had MSRP of 26k and I paid 19k for it. I kind of expect similar discount on 500x.

What do they sell for nowadays?

There's a difference between a huge clearance and a new model. There may not be the discounts you had on the Abarth. Oh, maybe five years from now, after the model has been out for awhile, if there is a glut of a particular model at the end of a specific year.

In most other retail experiences, you get the clearance sale at the end...end of a season (clothing, shoes), end of a shelf life (food, milk), end of the day (baked goods-or the goods are sold through an outlet with substantial savings).

A local restaurant offers discounted meals on a particular day to seniors, with a specific list of items to choose from. The discount isn't for younger folks, other meals, or other days. Other restaurants offer certain foods on certain days, and they are not available on other days.

Fiat, as a whole, is not a discount outlet. FCA is not a discount outlet. There are many vehicles throughout the world that we never even see, that are not bought at discounts, the workhorses of a business, the vans and trucks.

No business stays afloat that offers goods and services for less than the actual cost to make them. No person would be employed for long either.

You were lucky, you got a terrific deal on your Abarth, by knowing when to buy, and being able to buy right then! There was a small incentive on my Lounge, but it was substantially more costly than your Abarth. I waited too long to buy when there were some clearance sales with larger incentives. But I needed to get into a different vehicle right away, I couldn't put it off any longer. So I paid the price, and have been enjoying my 500 Lounge for almost 4 years now.

You can wait to see if there will be any discounts at the end of the year, or next year. But if you're looking to get into a 500x now, and you know what you want, you pay the price. The price is what the dealer is currently asking. The price may be more (no incentives) or less (more incentives) in the future.

One thing is certain, you can't enjoy your 500x until you have one.

datasage
07-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Discounts are built into pricing, especially on the low end of the market. Some people wont buy without getting a "discount" so the price is set based on the expectation that most sales will income some kind of discount. I haven't seen fiat offer more than 1500-3000 discounts directly from fiat. If the discount is greater than that, the dealer is making up the rest. Maybe they are low balling trade-ins or pushing dealer financing to make up the difference.

Robert Nixon
07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Yes, it would be nice if "the price you see is the price you pay", but that's what Saturn cars did for marketing, and they aren't even around any more.

The big local car dealers love running TV adds with "up to $11,000 OFF" and lately it's even been a percentage, like 25% off! This is the same marketing and pricing that Kohls and most other stores use, inflate the basic price so they can GIVE YOU TEN, TWENTY, THIRTY PER CENT OFF!

I'm sure there are studies and research that show this technique works on most people, so I'm afraid we're stuck with it!

Don't like to haggle for a car, go to the on line car buying services, or cross-shop by the internet and email and find a dealer to beat the other guy.

johnkatos
07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Datasage, NOPE, no trade-in, paid cash, over $6100 discount. Another dealer came close, within, $500 and said maybe closer depending if we could wait etc. etc. It appears with the all the FCA dealer incentives, the best time to buy a Fiat is right after the first of the month.

Sabai
07-16-2016, 06:05 PM
About $6k under Window Sticker. Unbelievable. Couldn't believe it. Scoured local dealers all of them were $1500 maybe $2k under window sticker. Searched all the Fiat dealers in nearby states, many were just $1k under window sticker. I ended up paying less for a new Fiat than many dealers were selling used rental cars with 8k mi. The one I bought was delivered to dealer in October 2015, had 35 mi on the odometer, had to go about 8 hours drive to get it. An unbelievable good deal but I think very uncommon. The dealer I bought from has a huge network of Dodge, Jeep, etc. I don't think they made anyoney on my 500x but they are doing well overall. Most if all, I absolutely love the car I bought.

Andree
07-16-2016, 08:32 PM
WOW

Okay, I'm wrong. I had no idea.

randY49
07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
We got ours back in April, paid about $4k under sticker.