PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Fiat 500X Pop totaled in deer collision...

Major
07-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Lost my Fiat 500X Pop 6M in a deer collision one night in early June. Direct hit caused three airbags to deploy. Passenger airbag broke the windshield. Cabin filled with choking airbag propellant. Knee airbag put hand sized bruise on my right leg. Fuel shut off stopped engine immediately. Emergency brake set immediately and would not release, so I couldn't move car out of the road, even with the transmission in neutral. No injury, but the car had to be hauled to the body shop via flat bed truck.

Bottom line: total loss. Big financial hit on an eight month old Fiat 500X, even after comprehensive coverage paid well, less $500 deductible (big depreciation).

Replaced this Fiat with a gently used 2014 Ford C-Max Energi, with more bells and whistles than you can believe. I liked my Fiat 500X 6M, but there are none within 500 miles and I'm not a Jeep Renegade guy. Went for a computer on wheels with a slick CVT instead. I'm updating the Ford SYNC software myself tomorrow and ordered an updated SD card navigation map set today.

Last week FCA sent me a recall notice on my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop, for a clutch problem that they don't yet have the parts to fix. I can't catch a break this summer...

Fiat500USA
07-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you made it out OK and the 500X did what it had to do. Good luck with the C-Max.

5port
07-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Very sorry to hear about the deer meeting. Yeah, there aren't too many Pops to go around. Enjoy the C-max and stay safe.

Southernroadrunner
07-16-2016, 10:53 AM
That's to bad you hit that deer glad everything came out alright

grosa_2002
07-30-2016, 06:38 AM
I can't imagine the experience you had with this incident. I hope everyone is ok. The reset procedure is on page 422 of the owners manual. I doubt anyone will look for this in case of an accident. it might be a good idea to print these two pages out and leave them in the glove box just in case.

Enhanced Accident Response System Reset Procedure
After the event occurs, when the system is active, a message regarding fuel cutoff is displayed. Turn the ignition switch from ignition AVV/START or MAR/ACC/ON/RUN to ignition STOP/OFF/LOCK. Carefully check the vehicle for fuel leaks in the engine compartment and on the ground near the engine compartment and fuel tank before resetting the system and starting the engine. Depending on the nature of the event the left and right turn signal lights, located in the instrument panel, may both be blinking and will continue to blink. In order to move your vehicle to the side of the road, you must follow the system reset procedure. Customer Action Customer Will See
1. Turn Ignition OFF. (Turn Signal Switch Must Be Placed In Neutral State).
2. Turn Ignition ON. Left Turn Light Is OFF. Right Turn Light BLINKS.
3. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Left Turn Light BLINKS.
4. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON. Left Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Right Turn Signal Light BLINKS.
5. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Left Turn Light BLINKS.
Customer Action Customer Will See
6. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON. Left Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID.
7. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch OFF. (Turn Signal Switch Must Be Placed In Neutral State). Left Turn light Is OFF. Right Turn Light is OFF.
8. Turn Ignition OFF.
9. Turn Hazard Flashers OFF (Manually). System is now reset and the engine may be started.
If a reset procedure step is not completed within 60 seconds, then the turn signal lights will blink and the reset procedure must be performed again in order to be successful.

With best regards,
George

Robert Nixon
07-30-2016, 07:44 AM
sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are OK.

We test drove a C-Max at a Ford event, and loved it way more than the Prius in head to head comparisons.

bryanintowson
07-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident but I am glad that you are all OK. The CMAX is a really nice car and I hope you enjoy it!

Major
08-18-2016, 01:05 AM
I can't imagine the experience you had with this incident. I hope everyone is ok. The reset procedure is on page 422 of the owners manual. I doubt anyone will look for this in case of an accident. it might be a good idea to print these two pages out and leave them in the glove box just in case.

Enhanced Accident Response System Reset Procedure
After the event occurs, when the system is active, a message regarding fuel cutoff is displayed. Turn the ignition switch from ignition AVV/START or MAR/ACC/ON/RUN to ignition STOP/OFF/LOCK. Carefully check the vehicle for fuel leaks in the engine compartment and on the ground near the engine compartment and fuel tank before resetting the system and starting the engine. Depending on the nature of the event the left and right turn signal lights, located in the instrument panel, may both be blinking and will continue to blink. In order to move your vehicle to the side of the road, you must follow the system reset procedure. Customer Action Customer Will See
1. Turn Ignition OFF. (Turn Signal Switch Must Be Placed In Neutral State).
2. Turn Ignition ON. Left Turn Light Is OFF. Right Turn Light BLINKS.
3. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Left Turn Light BLINKS.
4. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON. Left Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Right Turn Signal Light BLINKS.
5. Turn Right Turn Signal Switch ON. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Left Turn Light BLINKS.
Customer Action Customer Will See
6. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch ON. Left Turn Light Is ON SOLID. Right Turn Light Is ON SOLID.
7. Turn Left Turn Signal Switch OFF. (Turn Signal Switch Must Be Placed In Neutral State). Left Turn light Is OFF. Right Turn Light is OFF.
8. Turn Ignition OFF.
9. Turn Hazard Flashers OFF (Manually). System is now reset and the engine may be started.
If a reset procedure step is not completed within 60 seconds, then the turn signal lights will blink and the reset procedure must be performed again in order to be successful.

With best regards,
George
----------------------------------------------------
Once your automobile is substantially wrecked in a collision, detailed restart procedures are not even on the long list of things to do afterward. The body shop found the procedure and got the Fiat running again. It was yard driveable when they trucked it to the salvage auction yard for final disposition. My insurance company was competent, as was the body shop, which is about as much as one can hope for. The only useful information to be gained here is that the myriad safety systems built into the Fiat 500X worked as expected. No one was injured and I only have a mild disdain for the "knee airbags" that left me with a hand sized bruise for about a month. After ten years of driving that particular road at night, I use a more traveled route instead, hoping to decrease my odds of another collision. My Fiat 500 is still my daily driver in the summer and I do enjoy it very much, but it will be my last Fiat. There are a lot of deer stories in this part of the world, and that now includes my own.

CoachRick
08-18-2016, 01:38 AM
Oh, deer! That was a major accident!

Reminds me of the older lady who lived out of town on a two-lane faster highway. She complained to the county about the "Deer Crossing" sign in front of her property. When asked why she didn't want it there, she replied: "Well, it's really not a safe place for them to cross" !!!!!!! :)