PDA

View Full Version : 5000 Mile Road Trip Report

Chris Armstrong
07-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Hey guys. I though this would be interesting for some. We drove from Florida to Colorado and back last week. First, I have the trekking plus 2.4 model. I bought the bra form Maddness because my car is new and roads out west are dusty and lots of small rocks. It did a great job.

When cruising at 75MPH I was showing 1750RPM on the tac, nice. Gas mileage was good, always over 30Mpg with driving through New Mexico for some reason I was getting over 40mpg. I thought it was off but after doing the math when I filled up it was even higher. There is a sweet spot at around 71mph in 9th gear. At one point I could have made it from Colorado through New Mexico, top to bottom, to the Texas border in one tank.

Here is the surprise, I was very comfortable. More so than anything I have driven before. 2 people and a lot of stuff. Nav was flawless. At ease when cruising at 80mph. The cabin was alittle on the loud side depending on the road. When is was 107 degrees outside we were cool and frosty.

For those that are thinking of buying a 500X, I would say go for the leather seats. They are comfortable and look great. I loved the blind spot detection system. I have the Beats audio system, and with the SXM Radio, traveling across the state was a blast. Two glove boxes!!! Handy on a road trip.

Feel free to ask questions, have a great day.

5port
07-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Hey guys. I though this would be interesting for some. We drove from Florida to Colorado and back last week. First, I have the trekking plus 2.4 model. I bought the bra form Maddness because my car is new and roads out west are dusty and lots of small rocks. It did a great job.

When cruising at 75MPH I was showing 1750RPM on the tac, nice. Gas mileage was good, always over 30Mpg with driving through New Mexico for some reason I was getting over 40mpg. I thought it was off but after doing the math when I filled up it was even higher. There is a sweet spot at around 71mph in 9th gear. At one point I could have made it from Colorado through New Mexico, top to bottom, to the Texas border in one tank.

Here is the surprise, I was very comfortable. More so than anything I have driven before. 2 people and a lot of stuff. Nav was flawless. At ease when cruising at 80mph. The cabin was alittle on the loud side depending on the road. When is was 107 degrees outside we were cool and frosty.

For those that are thinking of buying a 500X, I would say go for the leather seats. They are comfortable and look great. I loved the blind spot detection system. I have the Beats audio system, and with the SXM Radio, traveling across the state was a blast. Two glove boxes!!! Handy on a road trip.

Feel free to ask questions, have a great day.

Great post and vacation! How much oil usage from the 2.4L during the trip?

saypat
07-10-2016, 10:50 PM
You guys amaze me! 5000 miles in 1 week? I bought my Abarth in Feb of 2015 and have about 3500 miles on her. I just don't have anywhere to go :sorrow:

thank you for instilling confidence however.

bryanintowson
07-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the report!

ricnun86
07-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Great post and vacation! How much oil usage from the 2.4L during the trip?

Did you push 9th manually? I drive the 1.4T AT9 and it wouldn't go over 8th even over 80 or 90 mph... even if I put it manually it instantly "advises" me to move down to 8th.

Roads here in Costa Rica are everything but flat.... maybe you drove several miles on a flat road...

pkgmsu2000
07-11-2016, 03:12 PM
great way to see the country, thanks for sharing

i was curious... spending all that time in the car, did you notice any annoying internal rattles in the door panels or dash area or pillars? not sure how many miles on your X, but im still less than 500 miles and im starting to notice multiple rattles when cruising on decent roads at 55+ mph

Chris Armstrong
07-15-2016, 03:21 PM
None as to what I see. Just a tad darker than normal.

Chris Armstrong
07-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Did you push 9th manually? I drive the 1.4T AT9 and it wouldn't go over 8th even over 80 or 90 mph... even if I put it manually it instantly "advises" me to move down to 8th.

Roads here in Costa Rica are everything but flat.... maybe you drove several miles on a flat road...

I hit 9th around 71mph. And about 1800RPM at 78mph. Never had to force it into 9th. My car has been updated from the dealer. Before that the trans was harsh and yes, 9th was a mystery.

Chris Armstrong
07-15-2016, 03:30 PM
great way to see the country, thanks for sharing

i was curious... spending all that time in the car, did you notice any annoying internal rattles in the door panels or dash area or pillars? not sure how many miles on your X, but im still less than 500 miles and im starting to notice multiple rattles when cruising on decent roads at 55+ mph

Hey 2000. I guess that is the car breaking in. I had a noisy steering wheel (like a leather on leather sound). That is now gone. Most can be found and resolved. I was impressed how easy the drive was. Drive any car for 16 hours and you will know real fast the things that bug you, lol.

Chris Armstrong
07-15-2016, 03:33 PM
You guys amaze me! 5000 miles in 1 week? I bought my Abarth in Feb of 2015 and have about 3500 miles on her. I just don't have anywhere to go :sorrow:

thank you for instilling confidence however.

I had a 500 for 4 years. Fiat does a good job with driver comfort. My new 500X is even more so.