PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Roadsters Arrive in US - Video

mark0006
07-09-2016, 12:01 PM
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Roadsters Arrive in US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm81-8-USQo

Robert Nixon
07-09-2016, 04:38 PM
My local dealer, Southern FIAT in Norfolk has exactly 1 in stock. It's sitting in the dealer showroom, so not real easy to take for a test drive!

This is the base model starting at $25,000 or so, but, check out photo #2 with the local dealer's "price adjustment" that adds $5,000 to the other options!

I want one of these bad, but not "we're tacking on an extra 5K just because it's new" bad.

F 124 FOR ME
07-09-2016, 04:44 PM
I'd make a note of the price adjustment, and avoid that dealer. Just saying.

Robert Nixon
07-09-2016, 07:04 PM
F 124 FOR ME
Definitely, there's another about a half hour away. Right now I'm leaning towards finishing this year's autoX season in the Abarth, and then trading it in next year for the 124 Abarth. Shouldn't' have any ridiculous mark-up by then.

Welcome to the forum too!

Shawnb
07-09-2016, 08:19 PM
My local dealer, Southern FIAT in Norfolk has exactly 1 in stock. It's sitting in the dealer showroom, so not real easy to take for a test drive!

This is the base model starting at $25,000 or so, but, check out photo #2 with the local dealer's "price adjustment" that adds $5,000 to the other options!

I want one of these bad, but not "we're tacking on an extra 5K just because it's new" bad.

I will laugh at this dealer when these things are sitting on the lot, with heavy discounts.

Such a scum bag move when dealers do that, huge turn off.

I remember a local dealer trying that with Abarth when they came out.

Fiat500USA
07-09-2016, 11:21 PM
If you are down south, check out Benson Fiat (http://www.fiatusaofgreer.com/)run by John Montgomery. Folks up in the Northeast can also check out Fiat of Larchmont (http://www.fiatusaoflarchmont.com/), too. Both these places take care of you.

FSpydie
07-10-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks for posting that, RN. The infamous "Market Adjustment." That probably explains why they have only one 124, while better dealers are expecting a larger number of Spiders in the initial shipment. Note to self. Avoid Southern Fiat in Norfolk.

FSpydie
07-10-2016, 07:51 AM
It's fascinating to me to see what's involved with unloading a fleet of cars from a ship. I've never seen this before. The video also gives a number of different viewing angles of the Spider in motion, which is nice. It's a very attractive set of wheels to my eyes, when it's on the move. :)

steve6225
07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
My plan is to buy the 124 Abarth next summer, it should be readily available by then. It also makes more sense to buy a car like this in the late spring / early summer, at least in New Hampshire. Seems to me that Fiat shipped the 124 much too late in the year.

Southernroadrunner
07-10-2016, 12:01 PM
I've also never seen cars unloaded off a ship before either.Don't get the 5K mark up but it is what it is I guess.I know I would avoid a dealer like that also.

Andree
07-10-2016, 12:32 PM
My brother has unloaded vehicles, I believe he got the job through a temp agency. The van you see in the video at 1:04 is taking the drivers from the parked cars back on to the ship to drive down another set. Pair of vans at 2:35. Very organized, runs like clockwork, just a one day thing.

Would be fun to chat with those folks after driving the 124 all day. Tops down, tops up. A couple of ridges there coming off the ship, how did the car feel over those? How easy is the car to drive, when you've never been in one before, might not have even heard of them! Get to try out both transmissions, get to drive both the Classica and the Lusso, plus a few in the limited edition. Did they like the cloth of the Classica or the leather of the Lusso better?

It's really a neat way to compare vehicles, because they're being driven over the same course, doing the same thing. And while it's nice to think of the wind blowing in your hair as you wind around a twisty road, there is plenty of driving that involves similar slow driving...as in road construction, detours, bumps in the road, and people in safety vests directing you. If you enjoy your car at 5 mph, you'll enjoy it the rest of the time too.

Andree
07-10-2016, 12:52 PM

Some folks DO want it that bad, and can/will easily pay extra to be the first one in town. It's a good looking car, it's a red sports car, it's a brand new model, it heralds the return of the 124, it's summer, it's a convertible, and it screams "take me home, take me out for a drive, come on, let's GO".

We've talked about how little the Fiat dealerships make on each car, and they haven't had anything they COULD mark up in awhile. I don't know where the extra markup goes, but some would probably go to the salesperson who sells the car, if they're on commission. And that would be a nice paycheck helper. Some months are good, and some won't make ends meet in the car salesperson business.

Whether folks have a lot of money or just a little, it benefits the whole community if the money is spread around a bit. That's how to keep the businesses afloat, and the people employed. It all matters.