PDA

View Full Version : Will the rear seats fold flat?

Sabai
07-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Hello. I love the 500x and want to buy one but there is an issue of the rear cargo capacity. For my work I often need to haul storage bins. The actually fit fine in my VW Beetle, as that car has a rear seat that flips forward allowing the rear cargo floor to become perfectly flat.

I have only been to a Fiat dealer once and it was right before closing. I asked the sales rep of the rear seats will fold flat. What I saw after folding them down, was that they remain up at about a 30 degree angle. This issue alone is a big problem.

In the Fiat literature I found a mention of an optional "adjustable-height boot floor".

Is there an adjustable-height boot floor that allows the rear seats to be perfectly flat from rear hatch latch up to the back of the two front seats? Any want to get a level surface in the back? I've already tested a Mini Cooper Countryman and they don't fold flat at all so I had to rule it out. The Nissan Juke has a perfectly flat rear cargo area with seats folded down, and I like that vehicle but my first choice is by a wide margin the 500x.

Thanks for any comments.

Andree
07-04-2016, 03:34 PM
There will be an angle to the back seats, as shown here:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/FIAT_500X/2016/photos-interior/

Look at pictures 129, 130, that shows the cargo floor raised, so it meets the base of the angled back seats. It's in line so that you COULD scootch the bins up onto the rear of the back seats, without a ridge or edge blocking the way.

Attempt at putting one of the photos in here:
http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/images/Auto/custom/12893/2016_FIAT_500X_129.jpg

Sabai
07-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Hi. Those are great pictures. The rear seat not folding flat is a huge issue for me. I'll need to take a personal look at a 500x but that is likely a "deal killer" because I need that utility.

Andree
07-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Hi. Those are great pictures. The rear seat not folding flat is a huge issue for me. I'll need to take a personal look at a 500x but that is likely a "deal killer" because I need that utility.

Yeah, I understand. One of the BIG things I wanted was a fold flat rear seat. I had one in the original Toyota 4Runner. I had one in the Honda Fit. Was very disappointed in the non-flat cargo area of the 500. However, there is a "back seat delete" kit offered for the regular 500. That makes the rear end all flat cargo space, without any rear seats.

That may be a possibility for you with an X. But you DO lose the rear seats in the process.

I loved the rear magic seats in the Fit, but back then there was a bump in the lower portion of the front seats which caused a great deal of additional pain for me, as that was where my back is falling apart!

It appears that the newest version does not have the seat back bump, and still retains it's fold flat rear magic seats. However, the world's most uncomfortable headrests are still there. There is no comfortable position for those headrests, and they want to make you look at your feet while driving. Forget them being ever used as actual headrests unless you have a hunch-neck. Putting them on backwards will allow you to rest your head while looking at the headliner, equally uncomfortable and unsafe while driving.

I did check out the Jeep Renegade too, just in case it had the fold-flat rear seats, and it also appears to have the angled seats.

Have you looked into the 500L? It's seats fold and flip. Plus has double cargo rear shelf, as seen here:
http://www.fiatusa.com/assets/images/2016/vehicles/500l/overview/gallery/Exterior/large/500L-overview-exterior-06.jpg

It has a boxier rear end, which gives you MORE vertical usable space. And a ton of visibility. All around you.

As you will be loading and unloading the bins, you'll want to be sure you can access the bins easily from either the back or the side doors of the vehicle. Easier on the Honda Fit with the fold flat rear area. Man, it was so easy to pack in the stuff in the Fit. If the bins are smaller in width, the 500L should work just fine. The area beneath the seats is usable, but still not on level with the cargo area in the photos I've seen.

I'm behind you getting the right car for YOU. If that means another brand, then that's what it means. The Fit was far too uncomfortable for me, between the seat back bump and the headrests. Seats should not be a torture device. But I loved the utility, of the pop-up or fold flat rear seats/cargo area.

If Fiat would bring over the 500L MPV, that is longer than the current 500L, you'd have your car already. More cargo space. Optional third row seats that do indeed fold flat.

Nevertheless, check out those options. The 500L and the Honda Fit.

And just in case the 500 would work, here's a thread showing the rear seat delete kit:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6371-Rear-seat-delete-kit-full-review

Andree
07-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Cargo space in the Euro market 500L MPW:

Second row seats up, with cargo space:
http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/fiat_500l_mpw_drive_51.jpg?itok=ePOrlUpb

Second row seats flipped and folded:
http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/fiat_500l_mpw_drive_52.jpg?itok=iAsz6adW

Sabai
07-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for sharing all of that information. I'll need to take two bins to the Fiat dealer and ask them if I can see how they fit in the back with the seats folded. I don't think it's going to work. The regular 500 with seat removal is a no-go also, and I don't like the performance of the 500L. My top choice is 500x so I'll try it. Hoping to find an AWD good looking car with plenty of power. Subaru XV fit the bill on cargo setup but that car really lacks power. I may get the AWD Nissan Juke Nismo which is quite ok and definitely has perfect fold-flat seats. One criteria I also have is the car must be SMALL. So I'm hard to satisfy. I really like the Beetle turbo because it has nice flat rear cargo area, bigger than you may expect but my wife doesn't want a Beetle, and I'd like more space too. Another one we are considering is a VW GTI, although I need to check into the rear fold-flat seating deal with that car too. I think it's like the 500x, with a sloping folded seat.

datasage
07-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Honda HR-V wins the segment for cargo space. but you do yet kind of a boring car otherwise.

Andree
07-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks for sharing all of that information. I'll need to take two bins to the Fiat dealer and ask them if I can see how they fit in the back with the seats folded. I don't think it's going to work. The regular 500 with seat removal is a no-go also, and I don't like the performance of the 500L. My top choice is 500x so I'll try it. Hoping to find an AWD good looking car with plenty of power. Subaru XV fit the bill on cargo setup but that car really lacks power. I may get the AWD Nissan Juke Nismo which is quite ok and definitely has perfect fold-flat seats. One criteria I also have is the car must be SMALL. So I'm hard to satisfy. I really like the Beetle turbo because it has nice flat rear cargo area, bigger than you may expect but my wife doesn't want a Beetle, and I'd like more space too. Another one we are considering is a VW GTI, although I need to check into the rear fold-flat seating deal with that car too. I think it's like the 500x, with a sloping folded seat.

While I was totally digging the plaid insert seats in the GTI, it does indeed have that sloped rear seat:
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-useful-cargo-space.html

Text from article on cargo space and fold flat seats:
"Our long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI has a roomy cargo area. With the rear seats folded, it has 52.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which is more than our long-term Mazda 3 hatchback (47.1 cu.ft.) or the Ford Focus ST (44.8 cu.ft). Smaller hot hatches like the four-door Mini Cooper S (40.7 cu.ft.) and the 2015 Nissan Juke Nismo RS (35.9 cu.ft.) have even less. The interior measurements aren't the only reason the GTI is a better candidate for cargo duty, though.

Inside the Focus ST, the rear seats don't fold completely flat and the wheel wells seem to intrude on rear cargo space a bit. While the GTI's rear seats don't fold completely flat, either, they do go further down than the Ford's seats. The Mazda 3 is a closer match for maximum space, but the roofline slopes inward towards the top of the cabin, which likely accounts for some of the 5 cubic feet of difference between it and the GTI. And if you're stacking a lot in the back or you're carrying anything tall, that's important. In this case, it's a win for the boxier VW GTI."

Compare with the 500X at 50.8.

Some of the reasons we have fewer fold flat rear seats is that the manufacturers changed the angle of the lower part of the seat for comfort. More bolstering on the top and bottom too. So your occupants are more comfortable.

Frankly, I find the Juke (joke/puke) to be the most hideously styled vehicle ever. It's like they slapped together three different front ends on the same car. Contrast with the now-discontinued Cube, where they decided to use two different sides. I would have liked the Cube if they'd made it symmetrical. I might have liked the Juke if they'd chosen JUST the round headlamps without the hood lights. Or lowered the hood lights into the area where the round head lights are, and integrated the lights into the black area.

Well, they'd have to redo the rear tail lights section. And the rest of the car. A little boxy top that is sinking in the back plopped down on this wide body with huge wheel flare areas. I don't care if the back seats fold into an origami crane. There's no way I'd want one, no matter what it does. It makes me shudder.

Try out the bins in all the cars. It doesn't matter what I think, if the bins fit, then that's a vehicle to consider.

Wondering about the need for power. Are the bins very heavy? Are you in an area that has extensive and steep hills, roadways, bridges, that require a little extra "oomph" to get up and over, when coupled with a heavy bin load?

It may well be that you'll have to settle in some department, as there are only a limited number of vehicles I'd consider "small" that would also handle some cargo.

Edit: I do apologize to all the Juke fans out there. It's my own personal opinion on the looks of the car, and the very things I dislike may be the things Juke fans and owners adore.

Andree
07-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Excellent review link of the 500L posted on the forum.

Here's an excerpt:

"At 68.0 cubic feet maximum, the Fiat 500L can not only carry a lot for its diminutive size, it’s also the champion of parking lot maneuverability. The 500L is about 70 inches wide—depending on model and about par for its class—but has a 32.3 foot turning circle. Honda Fit? It’s 35.1 feet. The Mini Clubman? Way up there at 37.1 feet. Hey, Fiat 500L driver, that parking spot is yours."

Link to full review in first post here:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?25502-A-pretty-positive-review-of-the-500L-(yeah-how-bout-that!)

Obviously the cargo champ, when compared to the other vehicles discussed so far. Still think you should check out the 500L, possibly in the Urbana Trekking package, as shown in the article.

Urbana: http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500l/urbana/

Sabai
07-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Hi. Thanks for your great comments on this subject. Well today I test drove a 500x for the first time. The rear cargo area is very spacious and I can deal with the slight slope of the rear seats after folding down. They are "almost" flat, and that is flat enough. There is plenty of space, it is really no problem. I enjoyed the test drive very much. My son used a decibel meter (an app on his phone). At highway speed it read high 60s, that's the same as my Ford Expedition. So road noise is not an issue. The Nissan Juke is loud at 70 MPH. I tested a Lounge with the power heated seats, very comfortable.

We also tested a 2014 VW GTI. Those have fantastic power, step on the gas and it really takes off. At highway speed the cabin is quieter too. The GTI sits very low to the ground and doesn't offer AWD. Well, at this point I am really sold on the 500x.

Another question, you may or may not know -- what's the cheapest package in which I can find the nice light brown leather seats? I could poke through the Fiat website and try to figure it out but thought I'd ask in case you know. Thanks!

Andree
07-06-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi. Thanks for your great comments on this subject. Well today I test drove a 500x for the first time. The rear cargo area is very spacious and I can deal with the slight slope of the rear seats after folding down. They are "almost" flat, and that is flat enough. There is plenty of space, it is really no problem. I enjoyed the test drive very much. My son used a decibel meter (an app on his phone). At highway speed it read high 60s, that's the same as my Ford Expedition. So road noise is not an issue. The Nissan Juke is loud at 70 MPH. I tested a Lounge with the power heated seats, very comfortable.

We also tested a 2014 VW GTI. Those have fantastic power, step on the gas and it really takes off. At highway speed the cabin is quieter too. The GTI sits very low to the ground and doesn't offer AWD. Well, at this point I am really sold on the 500x.

Another question, you may or may not know -- what's the cheapest package in which I can find the nice light brown leather seats? I could poke through the Fiat website and try to figure it out but thought I'd ask in case you know. Thanks!

Are you going for the AWD? The tobacco brown leather comes standard in the Trekking Plus, as does black leather, you make the choice. The Lounge trim has the brown leather as an option. So that narrows down the trims to either the Lounge, or the Trekking Plus, if you want the brown leather interior. As the leather is standard in the Trekking Plus AWD, you do not need to add any additional packages to get the leather. The Lounge has several packages, the least expensive being about 1,550 to add in the leather, in Lounge Collection #2.

They have very different looks, front and rear. The Trekking Plus will come with larger wheels, giving you a bit more ground clearance. The wheels are optional on the Lounge.

I went through a similar decision, when I was looking for my 500. Between the Pop and the Lounge. And after adding in the options I wanted, I still ended up short a few things, with a price around the Lounge. So I got the Lounge, knowing it would include all the extras I had wanted, and then some.

With your two choices, you can get the interior you want in different body styles. Which is neat.

Real life pictures are the best. This is a Trekking Plus AWD with the brown leather interior, I think this is the interior you desire, is it not?
http://www.fiatusaoftinleypark.com/new/FIAT/2016-FIAT-500X-42fd74630a0e0a1762721e364179dade.htm

Here is the same interior shown in an AWD Lounge:
http://www.desertfiat.com/new/FIAT/2016-FIAT-500X-85d69ebc0a0e0a6b6b40aa9d64bd96b7.htm

Both have active braking in the top cost package. For the Lounge AWD ($28,030), that's package 6 ($5,350). For the Trekking Plus ($31,230), it's package 2 ($2,600). It's an excellent feature, and you can see by adding the Lounge package 6, you're around the same price area as adding the Trekking Plus package 2.

And yes, it does take some extensive poking around to figure out what is what.

You'll be around 30K for the Lounge with the leather package #2.

Give me an idea of what area you're in or around, and I can also go looking to see what is available in your area. You may find there is a 500X just the way you want it!

pkgmsu2000
07-06-2016, 08:28 AM

if you live at elevation or will be driving much above sea level, i would be sure to take a thorough test drive with 2.4L AWD on some curvy, hilly roads and see what you think. i too wanted the AWD in Denver, but the combo of elevation and small 2.4L N/A engine in a heavier car didnt pass the test. good luck with your search, overall i am very happy with my 500X.

Andree
07-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Oh, and yes, you can have ANY 500X with the leather color of your choice, through your Fiat dealer. Here are a couple custom leather interiors done at the Studio where I picked up my 500 Lounge, showing a 500 and a 500L:
http://www.berkeleyfiat.com/mckevitt-fiat-custom-leather-interior-packages-upgrade-your-fiat-500-today/
Ahhh, beloved black and tan.

They used to have more pictures, that showed that brown shade (or close to it) done completely on a 500. The interiors used to be about $1,500. If you do indeed end up with the 1.4T engine, not to worry, you can have the interior done just like the Lounge and Trekking Plus. For about the same price as you'd pay to have it in the Lounge with package 2.

Bonus, you can pick out a color for the piping that matches your exterior color or add contrast stitching. They used Katzkin, and there are an assortment of colors, styles to choose from.

So every one of the trims are available with the leather. And AWD is available on the Easy, Lounge, Trekking, Trekking Plus. Now you can pick out the 500X that you like the best, without having to pay for options or packages you don't want or don't need.

And you can add options individually, as you can see from pkgmsu2000's post. You can add in fog lights or bodyside moldings.

The fwd Pop with the 1.4T and a manual six speed starts at $20,000. It does not have AWD available. The first one to have AWD is the Easy, and with AWD it starts at $24,635. So add in leather and you're starting around $27,000.

pkgmsu2000
07-06-2016, 03:52 PM
The fwd Pop with the 1.4T and a manual six speed starts at $20,000. It does not have AWD available. The first one to have AWD is the Easy, and with AWD it starts at $24,635. So add in leather and you're starting around $27,000.

no leather for 1.4T pop in the USA :-(

Andree
07-06-2016, 07:29 PM
no leather for 1.4T pop in the USA :-(

You can have it done, in the color(s) of your choice through your Fiat dealer. I just said that. I provided a link.

datasage
07-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Dealers will do leather as an aftermarket option. It wont be the same as the factory leather, but you will get more options.

Andree
07-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Dealers will do leather as an aftermarket option. It wont be the same as the factory leather, but you will get more options.

Correct on all counts. Mopar DOES offer leather upgrades, and it IS Katzkin leather. There are several "pre created" combos on the Katzkin site for the 500. However, there is a mistake/problem/poor choice and the color "Cardinal" is NOT the same color as the Fiat red leather interior. Always ask to see swatches.

We've already had one person get their car redone through the dealer, in red, and it's the WRONG red. It's not the bright red that Fiat uses, it's that Cardinal color, which is not as bright or saturated. And there's no way I would find it acceptable to have the wrong red in a red 500. Ruins the whole appearance.

Someone should have caught that, the owner should have asked for swatches, to see if they matched the paint or the factory RED leather. For that matter, the Cardinal never should have been part of the Mopar package, as it won't match any of the red colors used by Fiat. Yes, a person could intentionally want a less intense red, that's why they have several shades of red, so you can get the one you want. Same reason they have many tans, browns, grey/blacks, etc.

Here's one of the color charts, from a Canadian site, but it's still the same selection available in the US (unless something has since been discontinued, or other things added) and by golly I don't see the Cardinal color:
https://sylvan56473.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/katzkin-master-color-sample-chart.jpg

Andree
07-07-2016, 11:47 PM
So Sabai, have you picked out one for you yet?

Sabai
07-08-2016, 08:46 PM
So Sabai, have you picked out one for you yet?

Hi. Thanks for the great conversation. So here's the deal.

I found a Fiat dealer in a nearby state (still many hours drive) with very attractive pricing. He was about $4k under MSRP for most choices. The dealers near my home (big city) are offering like $1500 off MSRP so this other guy is a big savings. I also found within his inventory five different 500x to choose from, with options and colors I like (meaning, I can't decide until I go there to look in person). So I emailed him on June 30 and said "hey what about this one does it have ____ (I asked some question don't even remember what)". He answered me right away and said look it's the last day of the month if you buy that I'll get crazy and take another $1000 off. So the price on a car with MSRP in the $26k range was like $21k. And I got pretty happy about that but it was so far away and I had not test driving one locally so I said thanks let's talk again.

Then a couple days ago I noticed their prices got higher and he said my offer was a one-time deal for end of month but if I can stick around until end of July he can probably swing the same deal. So I am in holding pattern. I'd rather not buy at their current pricing when I saw lower deal flashed in my eyes a week ago.

It's their business I don't blame them at all. Thankfully using the internet I can view updates of their inventory and see what's still there.

In the meantime my son, little speed demon, is trying to get me into a Juke Nismo which has very good reliability and does 0-60 in two seconds faster than the 500x. I really am considering the Juke, I hate to say. It's fun, these times shopping. I rarely buy a new car. Juke has more punch and speed and quick. I like the look too, but the Fiat is way more sophisticated.

One question for you. In looking at the packages available -- there is a huge difference in size between my wife and I, so we need to move the seat up/down/forward/backward every time we get in and drive. With her VW we have manual seats and they never wear out. I am a big scared of the power seats on the Fiat. The reason is, if the motors stop working, can we over-ride that and manually move it? Because if the seats stop working then one of us can't drive it.

What do you think?

Andree
07-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi. Thanks for the great conversation. So here's the deal.

I found a Fiat dealer in a nearby state (still many hours drive) with very attractive pricing. He was about $4k under MSRP for most choices. The dealers near my home (big city) are offering like $1500 off MSRP so this other guy is a big savings. I also found within his inventory five different 500x to choose from, with options and colors I like (meaning, I can't decide until I go there to look in person). So I emailed him on June 30 and said "hey what about this one does it have ____ (I asked some question don't even remember what)". He answered me right away and said look it's the last day of the month if you buy that I'll get crazy and take another $1000 off. So the price on a car with MSRP in the $26k range was like $21k. And I got pretty happy about that but it was so far away and I had not test driving one locally so I said thanks let's talk again.

Then a couple days ago I noticed their prices got higher and he said my offer was a one-time deal for end of month but if I can stick around until end of July he can probably swing the same deal. So I am in holding pattern. I'd rather not buy at their current pricing when I saw lower deal flashed in my eyes a week ago.

It's their business I don't blame them at all. Thankfully using the internet I can view updates of their inventory and see what's still there.

In the meantime my son, little speed demon, is trying to get me into a Juke Nismo which has very good reliability and does 0-60 in two seconds faster than the 500x. I really am considering the Juke, I hate to say. It's fun, these times shopping. I rarely buy a new car. Juke has more punch and speed and quick. I like the look too, but the Fiat is way more sophisticated.

One question for you. In looking at the packages available -- there is a huge difference in size between my wife and I, so we need to move the seat up/down/forward/backward every time we get in and drive. With her VW we have manual seats and they never wear out. I am a big scared of the power seats on the Fiat. The reason is, if the motors stop working, can we over-ride that and manually move it? Because if the seats stop working then one of us can't drive it.

What do you think?

I would guess (GUESS) that the power seats are not manually movable. And that they are not some flimsy device, they should be covered under warranty if something were to go wrong. Many people share the same vehicles, and have to readjust the seats every time they get in. As long as you aren't trying to replicate the joy of riding on the 50 cent galloping horse ride machine, you should be fine.

And yes, things in manual seats can go wrong. In my old VW Cabriolet, I went to adjust something and ended up with the part in my hand. It was no longer attached. Whoops. One of my favorite things about that car was "fixing" this part that would come apart all the time with duct tape that I carried in the car with scissors. Anytime there was a big bang, that meant the part under the hood blew apart, had something to do with the vacuum or pressure. Good times.

Sounds like the farther dealer has more inventory so they are trying to move it via offers. You can never tell what will sell fast or slow, it always depends on the area. You could mention the potential deal to your local dealer, they will often try to match prices. Tell them you're looking to buy at the end of the month, and you've checked with another dealer, tell them what the other dealer quoted. And then they may ask if you'd buy now, if the price was the same. I take it that you would indeed buy now if you were given the same offer as the farther dealership.

Of course your son wants whatever will go fast or impress his friends. The counter to that is to get the stodgiest vehicle out there, so he'll never ask to borrow it. The Fiat is not stodgy. You might be able to find out real fast another reason to go this way or that, check your insurance rates on each vehicle, with your son being covered on it. One may be significantly higher. I do not know which. I did that before picking out my Fiat, checked several vehicles with my insurance agency to see the yearly cost.

So that gives you something to do until the end of the month rolls around. Keep us updated.

Fiat500USA
07-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Many times if the dealer gets near a certain sales goal the factory will give them a bonus, so a lot of the time the dealer will use this additional bonus money to make a deal. They won't know they are getting it until the end of the month when they can see if they'll meet the sales goal.

Andree makes a good point about seeing if your local dealer will work with you. Check them out and see how they are. Keep in mind Fiat dealers don't make a lot of money and while it's cool to get a good deal, it's also convenient to be able to go to a local dealer. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Sabai
07-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi. I test drove another Juke last night with my wife. I do like the look of it. Punch is there. The cabin is noisy though. I have a decibel meter App on my phone. At highway speed the Juke is louder than my 12 year old VW abd it's just not an upgrade so I need to turn the page on that and focus on Fiat. Of interest is the Juke is a Nismo edition with only 28k mi still under warranty and it's offered at $15.5k -- about half what it was new. My wife likes Subaru. There is a Forester XT 2.0 turbo that hauls. They are selling for nearly the new price, two years old. Interesting

Trunkout
07-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Forester XTs are rare and awesome! I would by a 500X or Renegade over a Juke ANY day!

pkgmsu2000
07-09-2016, 01:30 PM
jukes are way too bubbly george jetson looking for my tastes, but whats most important is that everyone finds the car that THEY like best. for me its never an easy decision when im in the market. i spend months test driving cars and spend a lot of time reading up on forums.

Andree
07-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Hi. I test drove another Juke last night with my wife. I do like the look of it. Punch is there. The cabin is noisy though. I have a decibel meter App on my phone. At highway speed the Juke is louder than my 12 year old VW abd it's just not an upgrade so I need to turn the page on that and focus on Fiat. Of interest is the Juke is a Nismo edition with only 28k mi still under warranty and it's offered at $15.5k -- about half what it was new. My wife likes Subaru. There is a Forester XT 2.0 turbo that hauls. They are selling for nearly the new price, two years old. Interesting

What is the main purpose of the vehicle? Where will it be driven and how? How much city, how much highway? You want to get a vehicle that will suit your NEEDS 95-99% of the time.

If you never drive on the highway, then it doesn't matter what the highway decibel rating is. Right? If the majority of driving will be around town, you will never be needing super fast acceleration. I'm separating NEED from WANT. NEED is when you have to have a certain feature in order to function during your regular daily needs for the entire year. Like needing AWD and winter tires if you're in a snowy area where you HAVE to be able to get around, up and down hills, etc. Still won't protect you from icy roadways, but you're a bit less likely to get stuck.

There is actually very little need for fast acceleration, other than freeway on ramps, and even then it's not always critical. We don't have an autobahn here, we don't drive 100 mph. In San Francisco area, we had stop lights on our on ramps, during commute hours, when the traffic is bumper to bumper. I didn't need fast acceleration at all. haha. I needed to be able to creep forward and merge slowly.

If you drive highway commuting, then the quieter vehicle would be a bonus, without roadway drone getting on your nerves. That's still a want, though, unless it bothers you to the extent that is it a NEED. Nobody likes a lunatic on the roadway, we all like calm drivers. You can also look into extra sound proofing for any vehicle to make it quieter.

Who will be driving the vehicle the most? And for what reason? You know you need to haul bins, so that's one use, but is it city or long distance or what?

Sabai
07-09-2016, 08:49 PM
I've got a Ford Expedition impeccably maintained w/200k mi and performing flawlessly. Gas guzzler though, and wife doesn't drive it. Looking for something bigger than the VW Beetle that's still easy to park. I like to have a good Small car. About four days a week my wife or I drive out to a state highway 50 mph 5 miles then connect to an interstate going another 15 mi into the city. So I want a quiet cabin. I tested 500x and it's fairly quiet. No concerns. I like the feel of horsepower.

Thanks for the comments.

CoachRick
07-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Here's another vote for the L. I keep looking at the X and it just looks like a sedan to me...not to mention the rear seat headrestraints almost touch the back window. Other than a need for AWD, I can't see any reason I would go for the X instead of the L. No AWD needed here, so I have no regrets buying the L almost exactly 1 year and 16K miles ago!

pkgmsu2000
07-10-2016, 01:17 PM
I've got a Ford Expedition impeccably maintained w/200k mi and performing flawlessly. Gas guzzler though, and wife doesn't drive it. Looking for something bigger than the VW Beetle that's still easy to park. I like to have a good Small car. About four days a week my wife or I drive out to a state highway 50 mph 5 miles then connect to an interstate going another 15 mi into the city. So I want a quiet cabin. I tested 500x and it's fairly quiet. No concerns. I like the feel of horsepower.

Thanks for the comments.

if you go with the X, I suggest you have the backup camera to assist with backing up and parallel parking. I have to park on the street and I've been parallel parking daily for last 15 years but the X does have some blind spots. I have no factory backup camera in the Pop, so it's been a little trickier than usual for me to squeeze into tighter spots, navigating grocery store parking lots lol.

Sabai
07-12-2016, 03:44 PM
I decided to get off the fence. Pulled the trigger on a 500x. AWD red trekking w/backup camera. Got a good deal. Also paid $3000 so the warranty goes 7 years 100k. Don't recall the name of the third party warranty company but it was sold by the dealer, hoping if I need it they'll be good.

I did test drive a Subaru Forester XT turbo but it didn't have a great deal of launch power, I guess due to the weight. The Subaru was $3k higher than what I paid for the 500x with extended warranty. Subaru was there years old and 35k mi. Fiat is really priced well for what you get. The 500x drives so nice and looks great. Love it.

I initially picked a green 500x with 18" wheels 2wd and nav, lane assist, but that didn't work out so I got the red. Really happy to have it.

One question, as I do not have built in nav, but I own a nice Garmin. I'd like to mount it to the dash somewhere. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

randY49
07-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Congratulations!! I like the look of the Trekking, a little more "rugged" and good for a small crossover.

Andree
07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Woo hoo! Congratulations! That's great you got a good deal. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with your AWD 500x Trekking.

Did you ask the folks at your Fiat dealership if they could install the Garmin for you?

Andree
07-13-2016, 01:55 AM
By the way, how does your wife like it? I LOVED the back up camera in my rental car, sure does make a huge difference being able to SEE what is back there. Can we get a couple pics too? And do you have any road trips planned yet to break in your 500x?

Sabai
07-13-2016, 11:42 AM
By the way, how does your wife like it? I LOVED the back up camera in my rental car, sure does make a huge difference being able to SEE what is back there. Can we get a couple pics too? And do you have any road trips planned yet to break in your 500x?

Hi. My wife loves it. Here's a pic. Our Garmin is one with a suction mount that goes on the windshield. How would you suggest the dealer mount it for us, on the dash? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

We have three kids, two teenagers. We took all five of us out last night on country roads. It is very roomy, more than you expect. Great car. Love it. Parked in front of a pizza place in a small suburb and everyone got out but me I just sat there reading over the handbook and two people did give it a careful look. It's very appealing.

Andree
07-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the pic! Gorgeous red! So glossy!

Very glad to hear of a family drive. Used to be more people did that, and it's something that should be revived.

I giggled when you said you didn't get out of the car...did everyone else go in the pizza place, and you just couldn't bear to get out of the driver's seat yet? You know you love your Fiat when...you don't want to get out of it!

I'm so happy you finally got your 500x, and that you did check out many alternatives before choosing the right vehicle for you. It's much better to do what you did, so you KNOW it's the best choice.

Sabai
07-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Yes it's gorgeous. I'm loving it. We live in a rural area and most of our neighbors drive the same old cars then indulge in a new one only after many years. Our neighbor just bought a gorgeous Porsche Macan which I think is about $80k. For 1/3 the price I think my 500x is not just a ridiculously good value but in many ways I like it more than the Porsche. The question is -- what's not to like about the 500x?