PDA

View Full Version : My Vinyl Wrapped 500X

fiatdenco
06-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone. Thanks to frank1927's roof wrap, he gave me an idea to wrap my wife's 2-week old 500X to protect the front end. Also did the rear to match the front. The hood though, received a clear bra instead.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22412&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22413&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22414&stc=1

gfurneri
06-24-2016, 04:40 AM
I like the look. It breaks up the color and protects the paint. I swear the day they come out with a 500x Abarth I'm sold. The 500x is a great car.

frank1927
06-24-2016, 06:43 AM
I like the wrap. It makes our "happy" car a bit more aggressive & sexy

Michael T
06-24-2016, 07:04 AM

Makes it looks like a 1990s base model car.

pkgmsu2000
06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
wow i love it! really nice job well done. did you have to pull off the front and rear bumper covers to wrap them? if yes, were you able to locate removal instructions online or did you just wing it? basically, how hard is it to pull the bumper covers off. thanks in advance.

fiatdenco
06-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Thanks gfurneri, frank1927, & pkgmsu2000. Hmmm.....thanks MichaelT? :peaceful: To pkgmsu2000, wraps were installed without the need of removing any parts or bumpers.

Klasse Act
06-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Did they miss some of the front because I still see red?

Andree
06-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Did they miss some of the front because I still see red?

I believe that's intentional. I like it, as the rear also has red, from reflectors.

fiatdenco
06-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Indeed it was intentional. I wanted to leave some red out for styling purposes as Andree mentioned. Thanks for noticing :congratulatory:

Tweak
06-24-2016, 09:09 PM
I really like the 500X and the look you went with is certainly different. I personally don't really like or dislike it...it's weird looking and I'm just not sure about it. That said it doesn't matter since it isn't mine but it makes a lot of sense on the why and the way it was done is not typical so in that regard I lean towards liking it.

My main thought on the leaving the red is how they managed to do that...hate to think they laid a razor blade to the paint to accomplish that clean of an edge around the emblem and air intake area but I'd assume as a professional installation that wouldn't be a factor.

It definitely changes the look but I can see where it Michael is coming from, painted bumpers look more premium and without knowing it is a wrap it looks like unpainted black plastic bumpers (sort of).

fiatdenco
06-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I really like the 500X and the look you went with is certainly different. I personally don't really like or dislike it...it's weird looking and I'm just not sure about it. That said it doesn't matter since it isn't mine but it makes a lot of sense on the why and the way it was done is not typical so in that regard I lean towards liking it.

My main thought on the leaving the red is how they managed to do that...hate to think they laid a razor blade to the paint to accomplish that clean of an edge around the emblem and air intake area but I'd assume as a professional installation that wouldn't be a factor.

It definitely changes the look but I can see where it Michael is coming from, painted bumpers look more premium and without knowing it is a wrap it looks like unpainted black plastic bumpers (sort of).

Hi Tweak. Indeed it was a professional installation. Knives or razor blades were not used around the emblem or any opening. That would have killed me or at least given me a heart attack! Instead, they used a Fine Filament Edge Cutting Tape, also called as a Knifeless Tape. A couple video demos are shown below. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWI14RxoaWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx9_BxTwj0k

Andree
06-25-2016, 12:06 AM

Reminds me of my neighbor's pair of Jeeps. One is the citified version. And his off-road behemoth has the lower part of the body unpainted in some rugged material. The point is to not worry about scraping paint on the areas usually exposed to brush and branches.

Depending on where folks live and what kinds of roads they drive on...as well as what other vehicles drive on those roads...paint/body protection needs will vary. If you have to drive a route that includes landscaping or gravel rock hauling, you KNOW you're probably going to get the big ding eventually. Gravel roads, that lower body cladding (or a lower vinyl wrap or the clear bra stuff) will help keep the paint from dinging...and doing that will help keep the vehicle from rusting in high humidity areas, rainy areas, snowy rock salt areas, etc.

I'd be tempted to add on more of the black wrap, the flat part that curves above the wheel well, and the lower body to the line. Giving it a little extra of the off-road look. And more paint protection too.

It will give the slight illusion of being lifted too. Again, more off-road style.

fiatdenco
06-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Reminds me of my neighbor's pair of Jeeps. One is the citified version. And his off-road behemoth has the lower part of the body unpainted in some rugged material. The point is to not worry about scraping paint on the areas usually exposed to brush and branches.

Depending on where folks live and what kinds of roads they drive on...as well as what other vehicles drive on those roads...paint/body protection needs will vary. If you have to drive a route that includes landscaping or gravel rock hauling, you KNOW you're probably going to get the big ding eventually. Gravel roads, that lower body cladding (or a lower vinyl wrap or the clear bra stuff) will help keep the paint from dinging...and doing that will help keep the vehicle from rusting in high humidity areas, rainy areas, snowy rock salt areas, etc.

I'd be tempted to add on more of the black wrap, the flat part that curves above the wheel well, and the lower body to the line. Giving it a little extra of the off-road look. And more paint protection too.

It will give the slight illusion of being lifted too. Again, more off-road style.

Great idea Andree on more wrap above the wheel well and the lower body areas. Unfortunately, my wife says I've already spent too much mula in just 2 weeks she's had the car yelrotflmao-vi nearly $1,000 for vinyl wrap, clear bra, window tint, & weatherproof floor mats. Cheers!

Andree
06-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Great idea Andree on more wrap above the wheel well and the lower body areas. Unfortunately, my wife says I've already spent too much mula in just 2 weeks she's had the car yelrotflmao-vi nearly $1,000 for vinyl wrap, clear bra, window tint, & weatherproof floor mats. Cheers!

Yeah, but...

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7365/27826058821_f7d0e741ce.jpg

Edit: This modified image is posted in my Flickr, and someone favorited it!

Sales@Tork
06-25-2016, 05:34 PM
I love it ! I'm looking into getting my car wrapped ! How was your experience with the wrap so far and what do you like and not like about it ? Sorry for so many questions just wanting to gather some info before i jump the gun and actually get the wrap.

Gina

fiatdenco
06-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah, but...

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7365/27826058821_f7d0e741ce.jpg

Edit: This modified image is posted in my Flickr, and someone favorited it!

That looks awesome Andree! But the boss (aka my wife) thinks it's too much, well it is her car after all :hail: Cheers!

fiatdenco
06-25-2016, 10:33 PM
I love it ! I'm looking into getting my car wrapped ! How was your experience with the wrap so far and what do you like and not like about it ? Sorry for so many questions just wanting to gather some info before i jump the gun and actually get the wrap.

Gina

No worries Gina and thanks! What I like about it is the obvious protection it gives to the front end from bugs and rocks. Can't say much about what I don't like since I haven't had it long enough (been only a couple of days). I do expect the color to fade in 3 years in which I'll need a new wrap then. Just make sure once you've decided to pull the trigger that whomever does it, never uses a knife against the body and instead uses the "knifeless tape" (shown on the youtube link I've posted here). Cheers!

Tweak
07-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Hi Tweak. Indeed it was a professional installation. Knives or razor blades were not used around the emblem or any opening. That would have killed me or at least given me a heart attack! Instead, they used a Fine Filament Edge Cutting Tape, also called as a Knifeless Tape. A couple video demos are shown below. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWI14RxoaWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx9_BxTwj0k

Seen this stuff in person once, pretty cool to see and assumed or hoped they didn't do the blade method (people do it as hard as it is to think they'd do such a thing).

The additional black sounds and in the later post looks good and helps a lot!

Andree
07-02-2016, 03:10 PM
snip

The additional black sounds and in the later post looks good and helps a lot!

I thought it looked cool, and does offer additional paint protection. Maybe Fiat will offer up a "kit" accessory to offer to X owners, and have it applied at the dealership. I think of all the folks who are in the snowy areas with the rock salt roads, where additional protection is especially useful.

Anson500x
11-11-2016, 03:58 AM
Come on guys, this guy had just only put a tight-panties on his car. It can be taken off anytime you want "wink-wink" :D It's good protection-wise. :)