PDA

View Full Version : Sport button on Abarth only?

Andree
06-12-2016, 02:17 PM
So I've been playing in the configurator, and suddenly realized it appears that the Sport button is only on the Abarth.

SPORT MODE SELECTOR

The sport mode selector enables a range of specifically calibrated performance-tuned modifications to the steering, throttle, transmission shift points and Electronic Stability Control+. Sport mode delivers optimal power to the drive wheels for world-class performance. The result is more spirited, sport-oriented dynamic handling characteristics.

From the Performance section (use the side arrows to navigate), and it shows the Sport button being like a power window button, with an up arrow and a down arrow. It's shown on an automatic, below the shifter.

I don't see it on the Lusso or Classica.

Did everyone know this already, and I'm just finding out now? On the regular 500s, we all got the Sport button. I'm wondering if the Sport button in the 124 Abarth is "sportier" than usual, needing the heavier duty Abarth equipment.

Obviously we'll need someone to check this out and report back. Just how sporty IS the Sport button on the Abarth?

Andree
06-13-2016, 02:22 AM
So everyone knew but me? Dang. I must have missed the discussion on it. Was it in the specs or reviews or what? I'd like to read about how people feel about having or not having the Sport button available depending on trim level.

morrisg
06-13-2016, 02:41 AM
Well, the Abarth is the top end fast unit so having a Sport button gives the driver options as to how hard an edge the car has. The Classica is the low end, so no Sport option for that. And the Lusso is the luxury end, so why would the luxury people want to make the car less luxurious in it's ride? I think that's what the rationale is for Sport / No Sport button.

Honestly, I don't think there's that much difference between the two settings but hey, people like options!

Robert Nixon
06-13-2016, 11:34 AM
On my 500 Abarth I think there is a huge difference with the sport button, without it the launch from 1st gear is just terrible, feels like way more torque in Sport mode.

randY49
06-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Autoweek made mention of the Sport mode only being available in the Abarth, but I've not read anything that compared it being on/off. There may be another press drive just for the Abarth closer to the launch date. The journos were only allowed to drive the Abarth on the autocross course so the impression is pretty limited. The only car I've owned that I liked the 'sport' setting on was a manual transmission vehicle, I don't think they work as well on automatics.

morrisg
06-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Okay, here's Sean of Goodwin Racing's take on the Sport button:

morrisg wrote:And did you have the "Sport" mode on when you took your two laps? or off for 2 laps? Or 1 lap of each? If 1 lap each, how did Sport mode compare to "normal" mode?

Sport mode gave the car a bit more grunt and made it much easier to slide the car around, lots of fun! Without sport mode the car was still fun but without a doubt it felt more subdued in terms of power delivery.

And here's the link to the Goodwin forums and their review of the Abarth 124:

http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3553

Sounds like the Abarth is going to be lots of fun!

Andree
06-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Autoweek made mention of the Sport mode only being available in the Abarth, but I've not read anything that compared it being on/off. There may be another press drive just for the Abarth closer to the launch date. The journos were only allowed to drive the Abarth on the autocross course so the impression is pretty limited. The only car I've owned that I liked the 'sport' setting on was a manual transmission vehicle, I don't think they work as well on automatics.

I use Sport for the steering response. I don't care for the heavier feeling, but the quicker response in turning means I don't have to turn the wheel as much to get what I want on curvy roads. In the UK they have a "steering wheel" button, which makes for quicker response (the wheels turn more) and LIGHTER effort needed to turn the wheel. I like that myself, especially now, as I've buggered up my elbow making one arm virtually useless.

So it's not just about sportiness for me, it's about convenience while driving on very curvy roads.

Andree
06-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Okay, here's Sean of Goodwin Racing's take on the Sport button:

morrisg wrote:And did you have the "Sport" mode on when you took your two laps? or off for 2 laps? Or 1 lap of each? If 1 lap each, how did Sport mode compare to "normal" mode?

Sport mode gave the car a bit more grunt and made it much easier to slide the car around, lots of fun! Without sport mode the car was still fun but without a doubt it felt more subdued in terms of power delivery.

And here's the link to the Goodwin forums and their review of the Abarth 124:

http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3553

Sounds like the Abarth is going to be lots of fun!

They like the Fiat! And I like how they discuss how the Fiat would be the everyday car as it makes them smile. While the Miata would be for track. One said he'd be looking at a Fiat 124 Abarth in his garage if he had to choose between them. And that is good news for Fiat.

I don't doubt that some folks will have to have one of each. A Fiat and a Mazda. We certainly have our share of folks here with several Fiats, spread out among family and/or purposes. Would be swell to welcome a new group of Fiat owners with Mazdas. And there will be cross selling and jovial competition and smiles all around.

dancingsmilies

Amacento
06-13-2016, 08:03 PM
They like the Fiat! And I like how they discuss how the Fiat would be the everyday car as it makes them smile. While the Miata would be for track. One said he'd be looking at a Fiat 124 Abarth in his garage if he had to choose between them. And that is good news for Fiat.

I don't doubt that some folks will have to have one of each. A Fiat and a Mazda. We certainly have our share of folks here with several Fiats, spread out among family and/or purposes. Would be swell to welcome a new group of Fiat owners with Mazdas. And there will be cross selling and jovial competition and smiles all around.

dancingsmilies
Interesting sidenote: The first viable non-Kei Mazda (the Familia... Spanish not Italian spelling a/k/a 323) was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Bertone, Ghia, Italdesign fame. Modern Mazdas owe their styling and engineering evolution to that model. You can still see it shine through the latest generations. The Italo-Japanese connection runs deep.

Amacento
06-13-2016, 08:05 PM
So I've been playing in the configurator, and suddenly realized it appears that the Sport button is only on the Abarth.

SPORT MODE SELECTOR

The sport mode selector enables a range of specifically calibrated performance-tuned modifications to the steering, throttle, transmission shift points and Electronic Stability Control+. Sport mode delivers optimal power to the drive wheels for world-class performance. The result is more spirited, sport-oriented dynamic handling characteristics.

From the Performance section (use the side arrows to navigate), and it shows the Sport button being like a power window button, with an up arrow and a down arrow. It's shown on an automatic, below the shifter.

I don't see it on the Lusso or Classica.

Did everyone know this already, and I'm just finding out now? On the regular 500s, we all got the Sport button. I'm wondering if the Sport button in the 124 Abarth is "sportier" than usual, needing the heavier duty Abarth equipment.

Obviously we'll need someone to check this out and report back. Just how sporty IS the Sport button on the Abarth?
Just another bit separating the stung from the standard beauties.

Good-Win Racing
06-13-2016, 08:11 PM
We ordered ours today, CLASSICA, 6-Spd Manual, ROSSO RED...only option is 'Technology Collection'.

So no sport button, but a reflash will give us permanent Sport mode without needing to push a button every day.

Andree
06-13-2016, 10:17 PM
We ordered ours today, CLASSICA, 6-Spd Manual, ROSSO RED...only option is 'Technology Collection'.

So no sport button, but a reflash will give us permanent Sport mode without needing to push a button every day.

Woo hoo! Welcome!

Certainly wasted no time in picking out a Fiat 124 for yourself!

Any estimate as to when your Rosso will arrive?

And my usual hyper-energetic "Have you planned any road trips yet?"

ROAD TRIP!

Good-Win Racing
06-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Arrives late July is what we hear...

Likely drive it from here in San Diego to Northern California and back.

toestrong
06-16-2016, 10:27 PM
Arrives late July is what we hear...

Likely drive it from here in San Diego to Northern California and back.

How soon do you think a flash tune will be available? 8 months?

Axel
06-17-2016, 06:02 AM
I'm not seeing a description of the sport button on the Fiat USA site (what's new?) but reviewers have described it thus:

"It gets a four-outlet exhaust too, and a sport button that opens a valve and makes it sound eminently fruity. That button also sharpens the throttle, weights-up the steering and loosens the ESP."

I think I'll be turning mine on on every start-up. :)

Andree
06-17-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm not seeing a description of the sport button on the Fiat USA site (what's new?) but reviewers have described it thus:

"It gets a four-outlet exhaust too, and a sport button that opens a valve and makes it sound eminently fruity. That button also sharpens the throttle, weights-up the steering and loosens the ESP."

I think I'll be turning mine on on every start-up. :)

The first post has a copy/paste on what is on the Fiat site, plus a link and directions on how to find the info that was copied/pasted.

Early congrats on your 124 Abarth! You'll be having plenty of smiles, even if the Sport button is off.

Axel
06-17-2016, 01:49 PM
ahhh... I didn't see the right arrows on the Fiat site. I don't see any mention on the Fiat site regarding a valve that affects the sound... could that be only for the dealer installed MOPAR exhaust?

now THIS is a nice website! :

http://www.abarth.com/124_spider

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22347&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22348&stc=1

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22349&stc=1