PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade in my Abarth for a 500x?

xtrmnop
06-11-2016, 01:05 AM
Hi guys and gal,

I'm big fan of FIAT and I'm actually on my second one. My wife has a Pop which we bought right after it was soon available in the US. Car is still running strong with a few minor issues but has been cleared up. I have a 15' Abarth which I've almost had for almost 2 years and still love to drive it but it maybe too small for me now. I just recently bought a home in Austin and it's been a challenge attempting to decorate my home. Pretty much have to have everything shipped to my house since I can't fit any furniture in the Abarth. Also it rains quite a lot here or maybe just recently and would love a higher vehicle since I've seen way too many puddles here that I had to avoid.

I test drove an Easy 500x recently and wasn't to impress but I guess my expectations was a little high and have never been a big fan of the Tiger Shark engine. I'll try test driving it some more and see how it feels but it seems that many people here on the forum enjoy their 500x even after having an Abarth. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Karl

Trunkout
06-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Hi guys and gal,

I'm big fan of FIAT and I'm actually on my second one. My wife has a Pop which we bought right after it was soon available in the US. Car is still running strong with a few minor issues but has been cleared up. I have a 15' Abarth which I've almost had for almost 2 years and still love to drive it but it maybe too small for me now. I just recently bought a home in Austin and it's been a challenge attempting to decorate my home. Pretty much have to have everything shipped to my house since I can't fit any furniture in the Abarth. Also it rains quite a lot here or maybe just recently and would love a higher vehicle since I've seen way too many puddles here that I had to avoid.

I test drove an Easy 500x recently and wasn't to impress but I guess my expectations was a little high and have never been a big fan of the Tiger Shark engine. I'll try test driving it some more and see how it feels but it seems that many people here on the forum enjoy their 500x even after having an Abarth. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Karl

You can get a 500X with the Abarth engine. Look into it!

5port
06-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Hi guys and gal,

Thanks

Karl

Ready to make the adjustment.

I was ready to make the adjustment from very quick mazdaspeed3 to the 500X. For me it was time. I came from a long line of performance hatchbacks so for me the body formula stayed the same...the dynamics may have changed but it can be enjoyed. Smooth, quiet and launches well with the go pedal. I took it to Limerock in the Birkshires in Conn on Memorial Day weekend and was impressed in the twisties...this thing can handle. Ultimate acceleration? No. But thats not what I'm looking for anymore. Yes it has space in the rear for home depot runs but I think if your thinking in that direction a 500L might be a better choice as the X is still a relatively small vehicle and that's also what I like about it. No need to do the wheel swaps in the winter anymore (yah!). Will you like to drive it? I think you will...are you ready to adjust?

pkgmsu2000
06-11-2016, 12:58 PM
The 2.4L was a big disappointment for me in Denver at elevation, but I loved the 1.4T instantly.

Robert Nixon
06-11-2016, 03:47 PM
If you love FIAT but need something bigger, remember that the Jeep Renegade is basically a FIAT underneath, it's built in Italy.

Trunkout
06-11-2016, 04:28 PM
If you love FIAT but need something bigger, remember that the Jeep Renegade is basically a FIAT underneath, it's built in Italy.

That would be MY choice! 5-speed Abarth Renegade? Sign me up!

Abarthboy
06-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi guys and gal,

Thanks

Karl

I made the transition to a 500X Easy and I would have to admit that I do miss the acceleration of my Abarth. I think that switching was absolutely the right thing to do and in many ways the X offers a better driving experience than the Abarth. It's MUCH more comfortable on long trips, the interior is way better than the Abarth, and the overall feel of the car is great. I like the size of the X, as do my dogs, and I have come to enjoy sitting up a bit higher. It would be perfect if it had 20 or so mor horsepower and a manual transmission. None the less, on balance I'm very happy with my decision.

Amacento
06-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Hi guys and gal,

Thanks

Karl
If it makes you feel any better the "Tigershark" is just the Mopar name for a MultiAir II variant.

The 500X is a fantastic package. I drove one a few times (once on a road trip) and came away pleasantly surprised with how much I dig it.

Haring
06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
I almost traded in. Found a nice 500x Trekking in white with a sunroof. Love it but gonna wait to see if they come out with a sportier version.

xtrmnop
06-12-2016, 12:21 AM
Thank you guys for your input. Everyone has great points and this morning I actually went back to the dealership and drove a 500x trekking with AWD and another FWD. Definitely feels a lot better the second time around. Somehow the AWD version feels better (maybe that few hundred pounds made a difference). I'am aware that they have a version with the Abarth engine but I need an auto so my wife can drive it. Plus will eventually pass this down to the wife after my Model 3 arrives whenever. I'm pretty much sold on the 500x, just need to have the wife drive it and see how she feels. Thanks again.

CoachRick
06-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Another vote(from an Austinite) for the L. We have really enjoyed ours; but coming from larger CUVs, the L is JUST large enough for stuff(including a 29er mountain bike). The X would not have been enough cargo capacity for us.

Watch out for crossing ANY water running over the road surface...central Texas floods claim many lives a year, especially from vehicle events. It's not just about clearance ;)
BTW, we've had more rain this spring and last than we had in the first FIVE years we were here! Don't worry, it will feel like Vegas soon enough!!! :)

datasage
06-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Another vote(from an Austinite) for the L. We have really enjoyed ours; but coming from larger CUVs, the L is JUST large enough for stuff(including a 29er mountain bike). The X would not have been enough cargo capacity for us.

You can always go with some kind of bike rack on the back to take bikes, but generally yes, the X doesn't have the most cargo space compared to other CUV's in the same size class. Honda's HR-V seems to be the best at this for this class. But its engine/transmission options are meh.

CoachRick
06-12-2016, 07:06 PM
You can always go with some kind of bike rack on the back to take bikes, but generally yes, the X doesn't have the most cargo space compared to other CUV's in the same size class. Honda's HR-V seems to be the best at this for this class. But its engine/transmission options are meh.
The hard to replace $2000 road bike does NOT go on the back of a vehicle, nor does the custom built 29er. I've been driving 'wagons' since long before they were cool. Great peace of mind is had when the bike is safely tucked away during the post-ride festivities, not to mention the actual drive TO the rides ;)

The occasional Home Depot trip works well in the L. That elevated shelf in the cargo area is an elegant solution to a lot of storage/cargo problems.

Abarthboy
06-12-2016, 11:23 PM
The hard to replace $2000 road bike does NOT go on the back of a vehicle, nor does the custom built 29er. I've been driving 'wagons' since long before they were cool. Great peace of mind is had when the bike is safely tucked away during the post-ride festivities, not to mention the actual drive TO the rides ;)

The occasional Home Depot trip works well in the L. That elevated shelf in the cargo area is an elegant solution to a lot of storage/cargo problems.

For what it's worth, my 27.5 mountain bike fits comfortably in the back of my X with the front wheel off.

pkgmsu2000
06-13-2016, 02:32 PM
perhaps this site might help with bike racks...

http://moparonlineparts.com/2016-fiat-500x-mopar-accessories-c-243_456_457.html

pkgmsu2000
06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I made the transition to a 500X Easy and I would have to admit that I do miss the acceleration of my Abarth. I think that switching was absolutely the right thing to do and in many ways the X offers a better driving experience than the Abarth. It's MUCH more comfortable on long trips, the interior is way better than the Abarth, and the overall feel of the car is great. I like the size of the X, as do my dogs, and I have come to enjoy sitting up a bit higher. It would be perfect if it had 20 or so mor horsepower and a manual transmission. None the less, on balance I'm very happy with my decision.

ive got the C635 manual transmission, stay tuned to see when i add extra 20+ ponies :-)