PDA

View Full Version : What do we all think about the stripe?

Tim0331
06-10-2016, 06:41 PM
After seeing it in person and seeing it on video and in pictures, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the stripe on the 124 Abarth. It's growing on me but I still can't decide whether or not i'd get tired of it. Kind of how I liked the abarth stripe on the 500 at first, but removed it about 6 months after having the car.

I wouldn't want to order it with the stripe, and then end up hating it. Since it's painted on they'll be no way to remove it without repainting the panels.

What do you all think of it?

Robert Nixon
06-10-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm not seeing a stripe on 124 Abarths, just the black hood.

Tim0331
06-10-2016, 08:16 PM
It's goes from the hood, to the small panel between the trunk and the soft top on the back, and then to the trunk.

Andree
06-10-2016, 11:02 PM
I'd have to pass on the stripe. Several reasons.

I'm in Arizona now. Clear coats peel. Dark colors peel. Light colors peel. Anything left in the sun will eventually peel. Today in the Walmart parking lot, the temperature registering in my Fiat was 114. That's the asphalt heating up plus the actual temperature. This is not a place for black, especially on the top portions of the vehicle, hood, top of trunk, top of car (or convertible top).

If I was going for a 124 Abarth, it would be a nice classic glossy white. And while I'm dreaming here, I'd have the top redone in WHITE, and the interior redone in white vinyl edges with some kind of white plaid or stripe or print for the insert.

I LOVED my boxy VW Cabriolet, and it was all white. Black carpet and a few other black parts, but the majority was white. It made a HUGE difference in SF Bay Area (inland) California. Because I also had a black car with all black interior. I ditched the black car for the white car.

Yay! No more thighs in shorts on their way to becoming pork rinds after sitting on a sun-heated black leather surface. The car itself was much cooler, to stand by, to drive in. And I'm sure it contributed to keeping that engine compartment cooler too.

Then there's the possibility of a hood being damaged, and the repair/paint shop not being as good as Fiat.

Last, trends come and go. Folks could have their hood and trunk partially wrapped. With a contrast vinyl self-adhesive stripe at the border, like the two-tone A500 overseas. And it can be any color of wrap and accent stripe. Red with a white hood and a black stripe would be neat. Multi silvery grey tones.

If you get tired of it, it's all removable.

An example of a few trends that have come and gone (that I've seen in my life).

Tail fins
Metal flake paint on low-riders
Vans with murals on the side
Tiny wide wheels that stick way out beyond the fender, usually accompanied by a chrome mud flap mounted at an angle (shudder)
Gold mesh Enkei wheels
Giant chrome wheels with chrome spinners
Rust hoods
Whistle exhaust

Some of those, like the gold wheels, could be totally cool on the same era vehicle. There is no excuse for rust hoods or whistle exhausts.

You know what I love about my 2013 500? It looks pretty much the same as the 2012. And the 2014, 2015, 2016. It has a timeless feeling, roots in the past, ready for the future, and just perfect for now. Even the color has been available all those years. It's a new color. It's an old color. It's a color that dates way back to the original Fiats, there were many light green shades.

Providing Fiat follows the same idea with the 124 line, where the years continue to be similar, with tech updates, the car is slated to be another classic. But will the black matte idea stay with us? I don't know. It's in Fiat history. It's been on other brands in the past. Five years from now, will it still look cool? Will it still be matte? How do you take care of matte paint?

First choice in any 124, Bianco Gelato (glossy white). Second choice, Rosso Red (glossy red).

Haring
06-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Get it without and then wrap those areas if you decide you want it

cdpond
06-26-2017, 02:19 AM
After seeing it in person and seeing it on video and in pictures, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the stripe on the 124 Abarth. It's growing on me but I still can't decide whether or not i'd get tired of it. Kind of how I liked the abarth stripe on the 500 at first, but removed it about 6 months after having the car.

I wouldn't want to order it with the stripe, and then end up hating it. Since it's painted on they'll be no way to remove it without repainting the panels.

What do you all think of it?

I understand it's intended to be a throwback, or salute, to the original 124 Spider. That said, my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth was black with the red mirror caps and side striping. Some liked it, some didn't. So, when I sold it to purchase my fully loaded 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, I went with black again (with the gun metal grey accents)... and love it. I can't see the flat black hood and trunk lids looking appropriate on a black car. However, I've seen it on red and white versions of the Spider, and it looks okay... but once again, not my cup of tea. Sort of like those who purchase modern versions of the muscle car names of the 60's and 70's, and get the huge black stripes applied over the length of the car. Not something I particularly like or would want, but if it's your taste, go for it.

So to cut to the chase, I'm not a big fan of the flat black hood and trunk treatment.

cdpond
06-26-2017, 02:22 AM
Excellent idea regarding the wrap instead of having the hood and trunk lids painted. Also, likely far less costly. I've seen it's something like a $2k option for the flat black paint job, and I just have to believe you could get a flat black wrap treatment for far less than that.

Calehedron
09-16-2018, 11:01 PM
I am also in PHX, AZ and the stripe was a $2100 option from the Fiat dealer. I had the whole car wrapped in 3M Satin Vampire Red and Black Heritage Stripe for $2400 at Apex Customs in downtown PHX. Here's the Instagram link to my car from Apex.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmcYCQxB3b_/