PDA

View Full Version : Crazy bargain tire choices

ManOfStealth
06-05-2016, 09:56 PM
I've been looking at new tires and I'm kind of a bargain hunter. I found many tire brands, some I've never heard of. Anyone have experience with any of the following brands, Federal, Achilles, Nankang, Powertrac, Accelera, Nexen, Jinyu and Barum. I'm sure they are mostly China made. Thanks Randall

Robert Nixon
06-05-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm familiar with Federal and Nexen, so depending on what you need these tires for I wouldn't have any issues with getting them if they are cheaper than other brands I've heard of. With tires it's always good to shop around, since different stores may have different prices, and different prices for installation, various warranties, etc. I've been happy with ordering by mail too, so places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire are worth looking at too.

Like you say, a lot of them are likely made in China, and others are made by bigger name brands in the same factories anyway. Once you dig in to it, it's amazing how big the tire business is, with factories all over the place.

Trunkout
06-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Nankang are good. Only other I've ever heard of is Federal.

Sinabu
06-06-2016, 07:01 AM
I ran Nexan's on my Scion tC, No issues with them here

JimmyTestarossa
06-06-2016, 08:57 AM
I looked at Barum and they are made in Israel which I had no idea there are tires made there.

I'm slightly paranoid about tires so I stick with the name brands.

shagghie
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Federal RS-R's have served me well, very soft and grippy so not appropriate for all street applications/weather/temps etc., but they do well in water in general...
s

ManOfStealth
06-06-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm right there with you but now Kumho, Sumutto and many other brands we thought were less quality are now right up there with the name brand stuff. I may give Nankang a try. Thanks for the input.

I'm slightly paranoid about tires so I stick with the name brands.

gundam2000
06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
I have a project car, a 1995 Integra. It is a bit of a basket case but I bought it for super cheap and I'm fixing it up. It needed tires badly so I went to the local Honda tuner shop and they suggested the Nankang tires. I got em and I must say they are not bad. Not as good as my Falkens on my Abarth but not bad for $80 CAD a tire.

MAGSJLC
06-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Like yourself I was also looking for a bargain set of tires. I ended up buying a set of Nitto Neo Gen tires. I was told that Nitto is made by Toyo. How bad can they be. After one week of driving here are my impression. First of all these are clasified as high performance all season and not summer tires. These tires are a little less grippy than the the pirrelis when doing a WOT acceleration did notice extra tire slippage on launch. However in spirited back road driving they hold the road just as well as the pirellis. Did not drive them in heavy rain yet but based on their tread pattern i am assuming they will be pretty good. As a daily driver these tires are great especially when the set was $275 less than the michelin sport.

Artman
06-09-2016, 10:16 PM
I ran Hancooks on my Jeep for a couple years and had no complaints. If they can withstand Guam's crazy hot roads I'm pretty sure they'll do just fine Stateside.

NastyNate
06-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Federal 595's. I got them for $68 each on Amazon. Great grip and last fairly decently. They do great in the rain too.

ManOfStealth
06-20-2016, 12:59 AM
I found a place on the web called simple tire

Prices seem real good. Anyone use them before?

Randallhttp://www.simpletire.com

Scarecrow23
06-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Due to running over a screw 2 weeks ago I had to buy an 'emergency' tire for a cheap as i could find since the timing was terrible $$ wise. I got this at Americas tire on one wheel:

Barum Bravuris 3 (http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=0&rcz=94089&ar=40&rf=true&rd=17&rc=CSBINT&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchForMostPopularTires.do&fl=&tc=ESCHV0&yr=2012&pc=11379&vid=021676)

205 /40 R17 84Y XL BSW
$112.53 installed including mount/Balance, TPMS kit & replacement cert.

I was told they are Continental OEM's for Americas Tire, so getting the other 3 installed shortly since I needed new tires before winter anyway.

Dave80GTSi
06-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Why go to a weird no-name tire?

I've just purchased a set of four (4) Firestones, 205/40 x 17, from TireRack.com.

Normal price was $66.00, and for the next couple of weeks they are offering a $60.00 Visa gift card rebate if you buy 4 tires, making my total cost at $51.00 USD.

Can anyone beat that?

Sales@Tork2
06-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Personally, as far as cheap tires go, I picked up a set of Federal SS595's and I have been very happy with them, I would honestly say that they perform better than the Toyo Proxy 4 Plus' that I had previously. And for a fraction of the cost, Later on in the summer I will be buying a set of the street slicks that they offer just to see how those are, and for 112 dollars a tire, For a full performance tire, I am sure that i wont be disappointed.

Tyson

ManOfStealth
06-21-2016, 09:57 PM
So here is what I'm looking at. BFGoodrich g-force Super Sport A/S in size 205/45/16. Cost is $44.99 each and shipping to my office or installer is $14 per, $18 to the house. These may be last years model for all I know but heck, that's a pretty good price. Nexen N-3000 for the same price. I have bought tires from tire rack and was satisfied too.

Randall

Dave80GTSi
07-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Why go to a weird no-name tire?

I've just purchased a set of four (4) Firestones, 205/40 x 17, from TireRack.com.

Normal price was $66.00, and for the next couple of weeks they are offering a $60.00 Visa gift card rebate if you buy 4 tires, making my total cost at $51.00 USD.

Can anyone beat that?

Update: I have lived with these tires for a couple of weeks now, and I am tremendously impressed.

You do not realize how bad the worn Pirellis were until you switch to new tires like these.

Very smooth and quiet ride, they all balanced with only a small wheel weight or two, and overall are well worth their very modest cost.

Anyone who is in the market for "cheap" tires should consider these Firestones over the variety of no-name brands mentioned in this thread.

Thanks - DM

fierostetz
08-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Update: I have lived with these tires for a couple of weeks now, and I am tremendously impressed.

You do not realize how bad the worn Pirellis were until you switch to new tires like these.

Very smooth and quiet ride, they all balanced with only a small wheel weight or two, and overall are well worth their very modest cost.

Anyone who is in the market for "cheap" tires should consider these Firestones over the variety of no-name brands mentioned in this thread.

Thanks - DM

is there a model or anything you can give us?

Dave80GTSi
08-24-2016, 12:12 PM
is there a model or anything you can give us?

Checking the TireRack.com site just now, I see that these tires are no longer listed in our size, for some unknown reason.

CoachRick
08-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Not for the Elle, yet(only 18k miles in one year); but I've outfitted our Volvos and Acura with tires on promotion from Discount Tire. Goodyear, Yoko, Conti...all were on special promotion when I was shoppiing(months ahead in some cases, the stock Michelin tires on the Volvo C70 were incredibly loud; but had good tread when I started checking for bargains).

Without going for ultra-cheap, I feel like I did "OK" purchasing through Discount Tire(yes, I buy the hazard package...two flats fixed at no charge and a ro-bal each time on just the last set of tires from them. )
I've used their 6-month no interest credit card and gotten TWO rebates on each purchase I've made from them(getting the net cost is the main thing; but rebates are fun, too!)