PDA

View Full Version : U Connect Frustration

Abarthboy
06-04-2016, 05:12 PM
My X has no trouble playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, but it seems to have an issue with recognizing a usb connection to my phone. 4 out of 5 times, when my phone is connected via a USB cable, the connection is not recognized when I go to "source". The USB ports are greed out. I have tried disabling the Bluetooth connection but this has no effect on the issue. At random, my car will see the Usb connection and allow me to use it, but today it decided after 10 minutes that it no longer wanted to cooperate and the connection was severed. This happens with both usb connectors.

Has anyone else run into this, or can anyone shed some light on it? It's maddening.

pkgmsu2000
06-04-2016, 08:19 PM
are there any uconnect updates available? i have found the uconnect to be pretty buggy in every FCA vehicle ive owned. why oh why cant we have apple airplay in 2016...

datasage
06-04-2016, 11:53 PM
1. Make sure you are running the newest uConnect updates. https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/
2. Try a different cable. Older cables can slowly stop working or stop working reliably. Off brand cables sometimes don't work correctly at all.
3. If all else fails, visit your dealer.

johnkatos
06-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Did you try both USB ports?

carfreak09
06-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Did you try both USB ports?

Where is the second USB port? Perhaps it's only on higher level models but my Pop only has one USB and an aux jack below the HVAC controls.

carfreak09
06-05-2016, 02:50 PM
My X has no trouble playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, but it seems to have an issue with recognizing a usb connection to my phone. 4 out of 5 times, when my phone is connected via a USB cable, the connection is not recognized when I go to "source". The USB ports are greed out. I have tried disabling the Bluetooth connection but this has no effect on the issue. At random, my car will see the Usb connection and allow me to use it, but today it decided after 10 minutes that it no longer wanted to cooperate and the connection was severed. This happens with both usb connectors.

Has anyone else run into this, or can anyone shed some light on it? It's maddening.

With my basic Uconnect 3.0, I've found that shutting the car off with the USB cable plugged in disrupts the ability of it to work properly. When I restart the car, it claims there is no media even though my MP3 player is clearly plugged in and on. Unplugging the cord and replugging it in always restarts the connection and then it works fine.

Abarthboy
06-05-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm now leaning toward blaming the cable. At Datasages suggestion I changed cables today and the connection worked just fine. The cable I was using wasn't old, but it's not an Apple cable. I'll report back later in the week, after more testing.

datasage
06-05-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm now leaning toward blaming the cable. At Datasages suggestion I changed cables today and the connection worked just fine. The cable I was using wasn't old, but it's not an Apple cable. I'll report back later in the week, after more testing.

Cheap off brand cables are a mixed bag. Some will work fine like Amazon Basics. Others will sometimes work and some will fry your electronics.

johnkatos
06-06-2016, 09:40 AM
The second USB connector is in rear of the center armrest bin. When I upgraded the UConnect software it explicitly said to use the rear USB port to upgrade the UConnect.

carfreak09
06-06-2016, 07:38 PM
The second USB connector is in rear of the center armrest bin. When I upgraded the UConnect software it explicitly said to use the rear USB port to upgrade the UConnect.

Since the Pop doesn't have a center armrest, no second USB for us :( Fiat really screwed the X Pop owners. None of the other Pop models are as stripped as this model is.

Abarthboy
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Well, it's not the cable. Although my Apple cable worked the first time I plugged it in, I'm back to not having either USB port being recognized by U Connect. I'll now check for updates as this is really annoying.