PDA

View Full Version : SD Card Issues, randomly drops SD and returns to radio

PDX500L
05-31-2016, 04:10 PM
2014 Fiat 500L Lounge Edition with Navigation, Bluetooth, SD card, USB and backup camera U-Connect system.
Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the SD card randomly dropping off and the radio comes on then about 20 secs later the SD card comes back on and continues playing the music?
I thought this was tied to bumps in the road or turning of the wheel, which does cause it happen more, but can happen on a smooth straight road. I have taken this issue up with 3 different dealerships and of course the issue will not replicate while the mechanics are driving the car. The dealerships have replaced the switch behind the steering wheel, performed all available updates and are seeing no error codes. Basically the dealership will do nothing about this issue and will not replace the radio or SD/USB reader. They keep trying excuses like:

use a new SD card- Which I have and the same issue exists
song formats are not correct - The song formats are all Windows Media Player formats, which are compatible
car needs more updates - car is current on all updates
the dealership wants me to take a video of the issue, but they could not guarantee that if I do this that FIAT will replace anything, due to there being no error code.
they will not replace the radio because it is a $4600 radio - $4600 radio, I call BS, they are trying to say the radio is worth 20% of the cost of the car
they want me to come back after it fails again so they can try to pull some code that will not exist - So my time is not valuable and should waste multiple trips back and forth to the dealership, but they will not replace a "$4600 radio" or SD/USB reader.

Tweak
05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
I have no suggestions but figured I'd say welcome to the forum and good luck with the issue at hand.

CashMan
05-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Is it A class 10 or higher?

PDX500L
06-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I will check when I go get the car back from the dealership. But would that cause random drops; different songs, different albums and sometimes not happen for weeks then happen every few minutes? It seems like that would cause a more consistent problem.

CashMan
06-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes you can get software issues from them. Card will have a large c with a number in the center. Also make sure the card is not to big for the system requirements. Generally 32 megabyte or smaller.

Tweak
06-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Yes you can get software issues from them. Card will have a large c with a number in the center. Also make sure the card is not to big for the system requirements. Generally 32 megabyte or smaller.

Gigabytes. ;)

CashMan
06-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Sang auto correct

PDX500L
06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
So I finally got the car back and the SD card is a Class 10, I will get an older one and try that. Any recommendations? I saw a 32G Class 4 on Amazon for under $10. A new issue I discovered and was able to replicate with another car at the dealership is:
*With an SD card playing music, if I then plug in my USB to change my phone (Samsung S6) the radio will switch over from the SD card to try to play music from the phone. I hit deny on the phone and the radio will switch to radio and stop playing the SD card. The SD card will be shown as connected but will not play unless you eject and reinsert the SD card or go to media and select SD card again. Still works but annoying. The dealership says they will bring this up with FIAT Engineering (laugh), I am not keeping my hopes up.

PDX500L
06-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Should read "charge my phone"

vsigma
07-06-2016, 10:50 AM
sadly, if you have the latest update like I do 15.43.0 - this is an IMPROVEMENT - over the older firmware..

do you also get the randomly jumping to AM radio from sdcard playback or xm playback too?

I'm more annoyed at the craptastic xm reception.. my 500 gets wayyyy better xm reception without trying. And I'm talking about clear skies and clear lines of sight!

another firmware revision would be nice.. or maps for that matter now that I'm wis

PDX500L
12-18-2016, 08:21 PM
So I have tried numerous different SD cards and classes and everything is behaving the same way. Of course Fiat support or the dealership will do nothing unless it generates an error code. Because the issue is random, it will never do this problem at the dealership. Even the technician said if the problem happened right in front of him, since there is no error code, there is not much he could do. There are years of posts of people having the same issues, so it is obvious that Fiat does not care. I noticed the newer Fiats do not have SD card slots, so they must have gave up on the issue. We are getting very frustrated at Fiat and their lack of support. No wonder they are the worst rated car brand out now. We would have traded in the car by now, but the car is almost worthless from the original price.

Fiat500USA
12-18-2016, 08:55 PM
So I have tried numerous different SD cards and classes and everything is behaving the same way. Of course Fiat support or the dealership will do nothing unless it generates an error code. Because the issue is random, it will never do this problem at the dealership. Even the technician said if the problem happened right in front of him, since there is no error code, there is not much he could do. There are years of posts of people having the same issues, so it is obvious that Fiat does not care. I noticed the newer Fiats do not have SD card slots, so they must have gave up on the issue. We are getting very frustrated at Fiat and their lack of support. No wonder they are the worst rated car brand out now. We would have traded in the car by now, but the car is almost worthless from the original price.

What size cards did you try? I had an issue with my GoPro when I used a card it didn't like. Turned out to be too big. Maybe try a really small card and see if you can get anything to work. I don't know when the radio technology is from, but it could be a few generation behind the latest.