PDA

View Full Version : USB does not 'see' thumbdrive

RCFiat
05-30-2016, 08:33 PM
I downloaded the latest UConnect update for my 2015 Trekking, and attempted to install that tonight.
When I inserted the thumb drive into the USB port, it was not recognized on the media screen, so I could not proceed. This was an 8GB HP drive.

On a whim, I then inserted a Crucial and then a SanDisk drive. Neither of those was recognized either, though the SanDisk did light up.

In all three cases, the USB button on the media screen was not active.

I read on another forum that others found only certain brands or sizes of thumb drives would work in their cars.
Is this a similar issue with the 500L? Can someone recommend a brand that works?

FiatCares
05-31-2016, 04:35 PM
I downloaded the latest UConnect update for my 2015 Trekking, and attempted to install that tonight.
When I inserted the thumb drive into the USB port, it was not recognized on the media screen, so I could not proceed. This was an 8GB HP drive.

On a whim, I then inserted a Crucial and then a SanDisk drive. Neither of those was recognized either, though the SanDisk did light up.

In all three cases, the USB button on the media screen was not active.

I read on another forum that others found only certain brands or sizes of thumb drives would work in their cars.
Is this a similar issue with the 500L? Can someone recommend a brand that works?

Did you make sure to format your USB Drive before installing the software both on the drive and your vehicle? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

RCFiat
05-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes, I did format the drive to make sure it was blanked before copying the file to it. I've read that some have done an R&R with the fuse for the USB on their 500s which successfully got the port working again. But I cannot find any reference to a fuse for the USB in the 500L manual.
I'll format the drive again now, and give it another try. I did call UConnect today, but the individual I spoke with had no suggestions.

Update: I called UConnect again, and was told I was doing all the right things. The suggestion was that dealer intervention might be needed. I absolutely hate taking a vehicle to a dealer for work. If there's any way I can do the job myself, I will. I did format another drive, and put an MP3 file on it. I'll see if that can be played in the morning. If not, I have to assume the drive is DOA.

FiatCares
06-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Yes, I did format the drive to make sure it was blanked before copying the file to it. I've read that some have done an R&R with the fuse for the USB on their 500s which successfully got the port working again. But I cannot find any reference to a fuse for the USB in the 500L manual.
I'll format the drive again now, and give it another try. I did call UConnect today, but the individual I spoke with had no suggestions.

Update: I called UConnect again, and was told I was doing all the right things. The suggestion was that dealer intervention might be needed. I absolutely hate taking a vehicle to a dealer for work. If there's any way I can do the job myself, I will. I did format another drive, and put an MP3 file on it. I'll see if that can be played in the morning. If not, I have to assume the drive is DOA.

Thanks for the follow-up. Let me know how it goes after reformatting. Have you tried a different type of USB drive? I’ll look further into this on my end as well. – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Fabio13
06-01-2016, 04:06 PM
On my 2013 Sport the format had to be "FAT" for mp3 to work.

RCFiat
06-01-2016, 09:20 PM
I actually got it this evening, and I feel stupid. Though neither call to UConnect brought up what was the root cause.
I figured that something other than a bad port was the issue since this morning an MP3 music file I had put on a thumb drive last night played as soon as I inserted it. I did see that the usb icon lit up when the drive was in place.
I went back to the UConnect web site, and again downloaded the update file. For the first time, I 'leafed' through the tutorial, and as soon as I saw the word 'extract', I realized that the file downloaded must have been a zip file. I extracted the file on the hard drive to the thumb drive, and gave it another try. I was convinced this was the fix, but was concerned when the USB icon on the media screen still did not light up. I pulled out the drive, and re-inserted it. In a few seconds, the screen that the instructions said would appear next did in fact appear. I then followed the instructions from there. The one thing that almost messed me up was that once the updating was completed, the system went into some sort of reset mode, which had been mentioned in the instructions. I was expecting some text to appear during that process, but instead the radio came back on, playing the station I had been tuned to. I was not sure if something had gone wrong, and considered pulling the drive. But I waited, and within a minute or so, the screen that was shown in the next step in the instructions appeared, so I knew all was well. From that point, it was just following the rest of the instruction.

Now.....if I can only figure out how to prevent the HVAC from always defaulting to recirculate after shutdown.......

FiatCares
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
I actually got it this evening, and I feel stupid. Though neither call to UConnect brought up what was the root cause.
I figured that something other than a bad port was the issue since this morning an MP3 music file I had put on a thumb drive last night played as soon as I inserted it. I did see that the usb icon lit up when the drive was in place.
I went back to the UConnect web site, and again downloaded the update file. For the first time, I 'leafed' through the tutorial, and as soon as I saw the word 'extract', I realized that the file downloaded must have been a zip file. I extracted the file on the hard drive to the thumb drive, and gave it another try. I was convinced this was the fix, but was concerned when the USB icon on the media screen still did not light up. I pulled out the drive, and re-inserted it. In a few seconds, the screen that the instructions said would appear next did in fact appear. I then followed the instructions from there. The one thing that almost messed me up was that once the updating was completed, the system went into some sort of reset mode, which had been mentioned in the instructions. I was expecting some text to appear during that process, but instead the radio came back on, playing the station I had been tuned to. I was not sure if something had gone wrong, and considered pulling the drive. But I waited, and within a minute or so, the screen that was shown in the next step in the instructions appeared, so I knew all was well. From that point, it was just following the rest of the instruction.

Now.....if I can only figure out how to prevent the HVAC from always defaulting to recirculate after shutdown.......

Thank you for the follow-up. Happy to hear your UConnect concern has been resolved. Have you checked the Owner's Manual regarding your HVAC concern? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team