PDA

View Full Version : 2012 issues

Jkitten23
05-29-2016, 09:18 AM
I bought my 2012 fiat 500 lounge last spring with 17k approximately on it thinking it be awhile before issues arrived. While I adore this car I'm also beginning to hate it. I love how cute it is and fun to drive and features, that being said I've replaced more things on this car in the one year I've owned it than I did my previous car(2006 mitsubishi outlander limited) that I had nine years and had 130k miles when it met with a deer. My fiat had had three new modules, a tps module replaced twice the first lasted a month. Others needed updating. Steering column shaft replaced, arm rest replaced, middle vents replaced. Lift gate handle replaced due to license plate bulb burning out. Crap Bridgestone tires that are original seem to be devoured by it. And my visit this week came with the news on needing new rotors and brakes to the tune of 395 dollars per axel. I baby this car it never leaves pavement all my driving is highway and it's always garaged.

I've noticed that after vent replacement the ac set at 60 blows cold as ice one minute the next feels like the hot outside air. Dealership acted like I was crazy when I mentioned this. I've also noticed lately that it's shifting odd. It's got 38k on an automatic transmission but when I leave work it's very jerky starting off. I've also noticed that when I go to pass or merge onto the highway it hits 5k rpms and seems like it won't shift to the next gear.

Anyone else having these issues? Also where is a good place for decent priced parts like brakes and such bc the dealership is nuts. If things keep up at this pace I see a Nissan in my driveway by next year.

Robert Nixon
05-30-2016, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the forum!

So you have a standard 500? Listing it as a 500L makes it sound like the newer SUV-ish FIAT.

Sorry for all the problems, like any other new car sometimes it is hard to find replacement parts, but on line places like all the auto-parts stores, Rock-Auto, and then junk-yard places like Pick-N-Pull or Pull-A-Part are good sources of cheap parts.

Haring
05-31-2016, 07:38 AM
Sounds like all the common issues of a 2012. Only suggestion next time is to not have the dealer do the brakes. You could save a couple hundred dollars. Also would suggest getting tired at a tire shop and not the dealer and make sure to rotate every 5-8k miles.

Jkitten23
06-01-2016, 08:03 AM
It's not the suv it's the trim package. I have one of the limited edition models. As for brakes and tires I didn't have either done at the dealership. I was asking what site has brakes and ect for fiats cheap. I ordered tires online already to be delivered to a different fiat studio for mounting and they're going to look at the brakes again to be more clear on the issue since the other studio has given me three different stories. I was considering buying the new fiat crossover but after all the issues with this one I've changed my mind. My only thought now is do I keep this one or sell it and go back to something with less issues.

bryanintowson
06-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Those are some interesting points. As for the jerky shifting, the 2012's sometimes exhibit this behavior when they are cold or after not being driven for a few hours. It does not seem to be anything to worry about. I would also check to make sure with your studio that all of your software is up to date. Software updates should be done free of charge.

As for your AC - you said you had the vents replaced? I'm not sure I follow. The AC system on our cars cycles on and off during operation which can sometimes be a little annoying but I've never found it to be something defective. If you don't trust your studio then I would take the car to a good independent shop and have him check the transmission fluid level (there's no dipstick so he will have to pull the pan!) and check the refrigerant level to make sure you have adequate pressure in the system.

As for your brakes, it's possible that the previous owner was a two footed drive and rode the brakes all the time causing premature failure. I purchase most of my auto parts for my FIAT and for my Jeep on either rockauto.com, amazon or locally at NAPA or if I can, at the parts desk at my local studio. MOPAR is the highest quality by far so I stick with that when I can get it especially for sensors or other really critical components.

Best of luck to you and let us know how this all turns out!