PDA

View Full Version : No air flow through one dash vent

RCFiat
05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
I just picked up a 2015 Trekking yesterday, following a 5 hour drive to the dealership, so I was not as focused as I should have been during the test drive. Once finished with the deal, I left to head home, and discovered that I am not getting any air flow from the dash vent immediately to the left of the radio. All others function properly. My first thought was a flapper that was not functioning, but now I have a feeling it's more than that. Perhaps a control module not functioning correctly? I dread the thought of the dash being disassembled to get to the hardware. Has anyone else seen this situation, with just a single vent not flowing?

Update:
I was just out in the car with a flashlight and slim screwdriver. I verified that I could see movement of the flapper on the functioning vent as I rotated the open/close wheel. I could see no movement in the vent not moving air. So I reached in with the screwdriver, and was able to rotate the flapper towards the open position. So air does now flow, but the flow cannot be adjusted. Still, much better than the thought of a control module being out. This still leaves me with finding a Fiat technician who knows the precise procedure to remove the plastic bezel, or finding the correct method and tools myself, so that there is no cosmetic damage. My initial overall impression of the car in just one day is that it is not as precisely assembled as my 2015 500 Sport. We'll see how it goes.

Robert Nixon
05-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm glad you pretty much figured it out, but it would be worth mentioning to the dealer/studio and see what they recommend (obviously under warranty and free).

Welcome to the forum!

RCFiat
05-23-2016, 06:03 AM
I'm glad you pretty much figured it out, but it would be worth mentioning to the dealer/studio and see what they recommend (obviously under warranty and free).

Welcome to the forum!

My closest dealer is Criswell, and if I'm not able to make repairs myself, I'll get the car to them at some point. I'll phone the studio in Ohio where I purchased it and speak with Service there, just in case they can walk me through the procedure.
I've owned many Fiats over the years, going back more than 40 years. Add to that a few Lancias, and still with an Alfa GTV6. Had I not gone to get the L this past weekend, I had planned to get up to Import Carlisle to discuss the possibility of selling my '82 Spider 2000. But the weather all weekend was horrible, so I'm not sure I would have gone regardless.

FiatCares
05-23-2016, 03:38 PM
I just picked up a 2015 Trekking yesterday, following a 5 hour drive to the dealership, so I was not as focused as I should have been during the test drive. Once finished with the deal, I left to head home, and discovered that I am not getting any air flow from the dash vent immediately to the left of the radio. All others function properly. My first thought was a flapper that was not functioning, but now I have a feeling it's more than that. Perhaps a control module not functioning correctly? I dread the thought of the dash being disassembled to get to the hardware. Has anyone else seen this situation, with just a single vent not flowing?

Update:
I was just out in the car with a flashlight and slim screwdriver. I verified that I could see movement of the flapper on the functioning vent as I rotated the open/close wheel. I could see no movement in the vent not moving air. So I reached in with the screwdriver, and was able to rotate the flapper towards the open position. So air does now flow, but the flow cannot be adjusted. Still, much better than the thought of a control module being out. This still leaves me with finding a Fiat technician who knows the precise procedure to remove the plastic bezel, or finding the correct method and tools myself, so that there is no cosmetic damage. My initial overall impression of the car in just one day is that it is not as precisely assembled as my 2015 500 Sport. We'll see how it goes.

If you need more help, please let me know. Thanks! - Kevin T, Social Connect Team