PDA

View Full Version : Buying : Was looking for Abarth's...but what About 500T

bgray
05-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Hey guys.

Im aware of the difference between the too.

My main questions....

I was planning on a abarth (5spd) adding the RRM Stage 3 package, MXP exhaust, BCR Coilovers, Rear torision bar, Aftermarket wheels and wider tires, and a Short throw shifter of sorts. All my cars are modified, so im not new to this,

If im doing all that, does it even make sense to spend the Extra $$ on an abarth? Reason why is most all abarths locally are fully loaded. Im looking for a cloth interior no sunroof car, which i have yet to find a single one in over 1 month of looking. I do not race/auto x the car, just spirited driving home.

Whats everyone's opinion?

Robert Nixon
05-20-2016, 10:15 PM
My guess would be that by starting with an Abarth you're already ahead in the horsepower department. In other words, doing the same mods to both cars will upgrade them, but since the Abarth starts with an advantage, I guess it comes down to how spirited you want to be.

Personally I don't know how much you gain by going after market on an Abarth exhaust, since it already doesn't have a muffler and backfires and sounds cool as is, but of course we're all different and want different things from our cars.

Welcome to the forum!

bgray
05-21-2016, 09:51 AM
As far engine performance, once tuned with equal parts Abarths and Turbos will result in the same performance #s. So starting with an abarth makes no difference.

Southernroadrunner
05-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum just go for the Abarth

bgray
05-21-2016, 07:07 PM
I understand that statement...but i cant find any,anywhere within my province that dont have sunroofs and leather. ITs crazy

carfreak09
05-23-2016, 01:10 AM
If you are doing that much modification, I think it's worth saving the money by getting a basic T. By the time you add the mods to the T, you will be at an Abarth's price but with better then stock Abarth performance. You also get more comfortable seats with the T and standard blacked out lights. But you do lose the turbo gauge and the ability to completely shut off the stability control, if those are sticking points for you. I like my T.

aelfwyne
05-23-2016, 01:47 AM
It DOES make a difference between a 500T and an Abarth - it just depends on how much that difference matters to you:

1: Piggyback tunes: A 500T will never have the HP/Torque of an Abarth with only a piggyback tuner. It can be increased, but as much as an Abarth.
2012-2013: There are flash tunes - this will allow reaching the same levels of performance as an Abarth. But the risk to voiding warranty is higher as it is detectable.
2014-2015: There are no flash tunes. You are stuck with a piggyback for now (maybe eventually in the future this will change).

2: Suspension: 500T suspension is different. Taller and softer. You can swap out all of the shocks/struts/springs to bring it in line with Abarth.

3: Steering: 500T steering has a smaller turning circle than the Abarth. This supposedly has something to do with upgraded Axles in the Abarth that the 500T doesn't have.

4: ESC: You cannot go full ESC off in a 500T.

5: Exhaust: You will have to upgrade your exhaust in a 500T to match the Abarth.

6: Boost Gauge: You don't have a factory boost gauge.

7: Radio: The 500T confusingly comes with the standard audio, not the Premium Audio that comes on the Abarth or even the Sport. Thus lower powered speakers and no factory amplifier.

So basically... how many of those things do you care about? Add the cost of upgrading each to the cost of a 500T.

If you're buying used, you probably will not find the price difference between a 500T or Abarth large enough to justify buying a 500T instead. New it's about a break-even between the two, except for the parts you can't upgrade.

Go for an Abarth. Seriously. I guarantee if you keep looking you can find a non-sunroof, non-leather model

bgray
05-23-2016, 07:38 AM
It DOES make a difference between a 500T and an Abarth - it just depends on how much that difference matters to you:

1: Piggyback tunes: A 500T will never have the HP/Torque of an Abarth with only a piggyback tuner. It can be increased, but as much as an Abarth.
2012-2013: There are flash tunes - this will allow reaching the same levels of performance as an Abarth. But the risk to voiding warranty is higher as it is detectable.
2014-2015: There are no flash tunes. You are stuck with a piggyback for now (maybe eventually in the future this will change).

2: Suspension: 500T suspension is different. Taller and softer. You can swap out all of the shocks/struts/springs to bring it in line with Abarth.

3: Steering: 500T steering has a smaller turning circle than the Abarth. This supposedly has something to do with upgraded Axles in the Abarth that the 500T doesn't have.

4: ESC: You cannot go full ESC off in a 500T.

5: Exhaust: You will have to upgrade your exhaust in a 500T to match the Abarth.

6: Boost Gauge: You don't have a factory boost gauge.

7: Radio: The 500T confusingly comes with the standard audio, not the Premium Audio that comes on the Abarth or even the Sport. Thus lower powered speakers and no factory amplifier.

So basically... how many of those things do you care about? Add the cost of upgrading each to the cost of a 500T.

If you're buying used, you probably will not find the price difference between a 500T or Abarth large enough to justify buying a 500T instead. New it's about a break-even between the two, except for the parts you can't upgrade.

Go for an Abarth. Seriously. I guarantee if you keep looking you can find a non-sunroof, non-leather model

Thank you you for the detailed response.

I was not Aware that the York tune was not available for a 2014. I was looking online and decided that was my best route, but if all I can run is a piggyback at lower power levels then that's a major game changer for me.

Regardless of T or abarth, I plan on doing the same modifications. That's what got me thinking of getting a t instead. Once I started to find T that have cooler colours, and more availability it sparked my interest.

I am am buyng used, I can get a 2014 T with 22,000km for about 4 grand less then a 2012-13 abarth with 50-70,000km. So it's a pretty significant difference.

the only thing that I'm really hung up on now is the lack of tuning options now

aelfwyne
05-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Thank you you for the detailed response.

I was not Aware that the York tune was not available for a 2014. I was looking online and decided that was my best route, but if all I can run is a piggyback at lower power levels then that's a major game changer for me.

Regardless of T or abarth, I plan on doing the same modifications. That's what got me thinking of getting a t instead. Once I started to find T that have cooler colours, and more availability it sparked my interest.

I am am buyng used, I can get a 2014 T with 22,000km for about 4 grand less then a 2012-13 abarth with 50-70,000km. So it's a pretty significant difference.

the only thing that I'm really hung up on now is the lack of tuning options now

For what it's wroth, Eurocompulsion (and probably Tork) have handheld flash tuners in testing for 2014 models. They have not yet released an ETA (not sure what the holdup is)...

bgray
05-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Well, Tork's response was to get them the production date. So im going to get that off the car before i purchase anything. I guess early model 2014's have different security protocol in the ECM. Typical Chrysler move. I have a 2016 Ram sport, and the tuning perimeters for that are different for 2009-2013, 2014, then 2015-16 are the same. Meanwhile the trucks haven't changed hardly at all lol.

Im still torn on what to do.