PDA

View Full Version : OEM Firehawk GT tires to sell or to buy?

sharpie510
05-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Hi, my lease is coming up in October 2016 and my front tires are wearing uniformly, but they seem to be wearing faster than the rears. Needless to say, I will either need to find a pair of Firestone Firehawk GT (185/55R15, H rated) or get a new set of another make.

Anyone have a pair of decent (they only need to be above the 4/32" wear required for lease end) to sell? Alternatively, anyone on lease interested in buying my 4 Firehawks? The car was driven 17000 miles. I think the rears have at least 7/32". Even the fronts at 3/32" are still quite usable, but they are below the minimum 4/32" for lease return.

Let me know if you're interested in selling me some Firehawks, or if you want to buy my old set. This would ideally work out for someone in the same situation as I am with a leased Fiat that needs to be returned with minimum tread left on the tires. I don't really want to give Fiat a brand new set of tires if I don't have to.

Thanks.

I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Robert Nixon
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Just curious if these tires have been rotated?

Not sure what the recommended rotation schedule is for the 500e.

rkw
05-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Just curious if these tires have been rotated?

Not sure what the recommended rotation schedule is for the 500e.The problem with the 500e is that the rear wheels are half inch wider than the front, probably for the weight of the batteries. Front/back tire rotation isn't possible without unmounting/remounting the tires from the wheels, so almost nobody does it.

sharpie510
05-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I might just bite the bullet and get a set of 4 bridgestone potenza tires. a local dealer will sell them to me for $300 for 4 installed and balanced. These Firestone Firehawk tires are disappointing and overpriced IMO. Does anyone know if you can have a different brand of tires in the front compared to the rear so long as the size and ratings are correct?

Robert Nixon
05-17-2016, 07:26 PM
I don't know what the details of your lease say about tire brands (if anything), but I'd say as long as you have the matching tires on each axle you should be good.

sharpie510
05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks. Does anyone know for certain that any brand of tires is acceptable? I called Chrysler Capital and the rep said the 4 tires must match and she was not specific about brand. I asked her if I went to a local Big O tire center and bought 4 matching tires, would that be acceptable (correct size and rating of course). She said yes, but I'd like to know for certain from someone that has actually returned a lease with off brand tires. The ones I saw were called Winrun R330, v rated 185/55R15. They were only $169 for the set of 4 installed/balanced. Sounds like a good price to me, but I don't want to install them only to have Chrysler cry foul. Seems that they can arbitrarily ding you even if the contract doesn't specifically state what brand/model of tire is acceptable.

ChuntaChinte
05-23-2016, 01:18 PM
I have been through 11 leases, with 5-6 different brands, and as long as you have the tires matching the specs the brand does not matter.

Here is an advice, i usually wait till the inspector comes out and inspects the tires, if they are worn out the inspector would mark them on the report, and the report will tell you if you or the company will pay for the wear and tear.

It could be a regular wear and tear if you have a long term lease, and FIAT will pick up the cost, if not they will give you a quote and you could just go with that quote and not bother with buying tires or replacing them.

Either way you have so many options, but waiting for an inspection report is a smart idea.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

zeoth
05-26-2016, 12:23 PM
If it's a lease car why would you care if it's 1/2 in wider? As long as the offset is the same and there are no rubbing issues, I plan to rotate mine. The "performance" difference will only be felt under extreme circumstances and I'm sure I wouldn't notice the difference driving normally. Yes it's a safety issue but it's something I'm more than willing to live with.

Bfeezey
08-23-2016, 06:41 PM
I just swapped my tires out at 15k and the rears are still plenty good.

$40 but I'm in Socal.

cdeforrest
09-19-2016, 12:31 PM
If it's a lease car why would you care if it's 1/2 in wider? As long as the offset is the same and there are no rubbing issues, I plan to rotate mine. The "performance" difference will only be felt under extreme circumstances and I'm sure I wouldn't notice the difference driving normally. Yes it's a safety issue but it's something I'm more than willing to live with.

Agreed. I did that & did not ever notice the 1/2 difference - even in extreme situations.
Once my stock tires were shot, I upgraded to 15x7's all the way around with 205x50's so no more of this sillyness. In fact, I just rotated mine this weekend. Already pulled all the locator pins since that was a requirement for the aftermarket wheels.

I am considering a 5mm spacer on the rear, however, because in very specific situations I get a small amount of inside sidewall rubbing - barely grazing the inner wheel well.