PDA

View Full Version : I'm ordering a POWERmax 500 ECU

ManOfStealth
05-04-2016, 11:46 AM
When I get my ECU in I'll need some help putting it in. I want it done right the first time and I feel like I'd screw something up. Jake, maybe one of those weekend meets near Firewheel Mall??

DFW guys are welcome to chime in.

Thanks
Randall

Trunkout
05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
When I get my ECU in I'll need some help putting it in. I want it done right the first time and I feel like I'd screw something up. Jake, maybe one of those weekend meets near Firewheel Mall??

DFW guys are welcome to chime in.

Thanks
Randall

It installs just like their last ECM. Several YouTube videos out there.
Hell I've watched them so many times I'd be willing to help!

ManOfStealth
05-04-2016, 03:54 PM
When did KC become part of the DFW area...LOL
Dude, bring it on. I'll let you break it in. If you can just look past the $6500 hail damage that is. Using some of the insurance money for go fast parts. Don't tell them.

I'll get my laptop and see what it takes.

Thanks Randall

Almost a Ghost
05-04-2016, 05:12 PM
It's a much bigger PITA then the videos and walk through let on if the harness is anything like their older ECM (and it is probably exactly the same):

- You have to remove the battery box:
- Three screws underneath the battery box. Center one is no problem, the two on the right are a PITA if you don't have a strong enough drill, I didn't :(
- Fiat decided to secure wires to the box. You will need a good set of "interior panel" removal tools (the yellow set from harbor freight is good), but even then its another PITA, and I only undid enough to maneuver the box around and get under it to the turbo sensor.

- The OEM clips can be another PITA, and the one for the camshaft sensor is tucked away real good. Those Interior Panel remove tools come in real handy here, especially one with a hook on it. I spent a good 20 minutes fidgeting with that connector until I remember I had a too like that.

- Have a good set of mechanics gloves, unless you are trying to impress the girls at the bar with some scraped-to-hell knuckles.

ManOfStealth
05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
But ghost, was it worth it in the end. I see you still have yours in your signature box. Thanks for the honest opinion on the install. And yes, the youtube vids make it look easy.

doverosx
05-04-2016, 08:02 PM
But ghost, was it worth it in the end. I see you still have yours in your signature box. Thanks for the honest opinion on the install. And yes, the youtube vids make it look easy.

It's a different ECU. Find one used, find an HPSI unichip or buy a new Chipbox. The madness stuff is outclassed IMO by superior options.

ManOfStealth
05-04-2016, 10:37 PM
This will suffice until I go full tune. So far Madness has been top notch customer service wise and easy to work with on some package deals. I have noticed the prices are high, to me anyway, but the selection of stuff is plenty good.

It's a different ECU. Find one used, find an HPSI unichip or buy a new Chipbox. The madness stuff is outclassed IMO by superior options.

doverosx
05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
This will suffice until I go full tune. So far Madness has been top notch customer service wise and easy to work with on some package deals. I have noticed the prices are high, to me anyway, but the selection of stuff is plenty good.

Let me know how you like it!

Almost a Ghost
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM

I don't have the MAXPower one, just the V2 of their original piggyback. In all honesty, I was waiting on finding a used Magneti Marelli piggy back w/remote (that get snagged as soon as they are listed!!), but came across a deal on the Madness piggyback that was too good to pass up. Even then, this is just a temporary solution until the tuning products out there support the 2015 models.

The power bump is definitely there and on the 2nd or 3rd day of driving it was very noticeable. Engine wise, other than the piggyback, I am stock, so I'm not taking full advantage of the piggy back. Something I hope to rectify soon ;)

ManOfStealth
05-23-2016, 11:56 PM
I got home late from work but started my ECU mod anyway.

Ghost, you were not kidding about the pita battery box. WTH is with all the screws and tie downs? The videos on youtube are misleading. They have the upper engine parts already removed and all the pita clips and such on the battery tray unconnected. I'm an hour in and I just now have the battery out of the car and trying to figure out what I can cut, tie down wise without causing an issue. I'll have to drive my stealth to work, no a/c and figure out the Fiat when I get home.

Randall

Almost a Ghost
05-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Like I mentioend, I only removed enough of the battery-box tie downs to move the battery box around so I can could down to the turbo connector. If I remember correctly, it was mainly just the tie down on the left side of the battery box, they just pop right out with a v-shaped interior tool, and then I was able jimmy it up high enough to get around it and detach the connector and attach the piggyback connector.

Again, interior trim tools saved the day when it came to unlocking the connectors. Especially the cam-shaft one.

ManOfStealth
05-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Got the ECU project finished tonight. I must say I'm a novice and I was able to do this, so those that think this is not for them, should reconsider. Battery tray and cam sensor was the biggest pita. I did a short run up to Wal-mart but stayed out of the pedal. You mentioned a day or two before the real power hits, is this true?

Thanks randall

doverosx
05-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Got the ECU project finished tonight. I must say I'm a novice and I was able to do this, so those that think this is not for them, should reconsider. Battery tray and cam sensor was the biggest pita. I did a short run up to Wal-mart but stayed out of the pedal. You mentioned a day or two before the real power hits, is this true?

Thanks randall

No. There isn't a defined set of time or mileage for optimal power, that is dependent entirely on the ECU. Since this is a piggyback, it is translating the boost curve up and down depending on its setting. There is no reason to "stay out of it" since the ECU will select whatever boost map it wants to. Drive it easy for the first drive, then progressively bring up boost and keep those boost levels through the RPM range for each successive drive.