PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 124 Spider Abarth Announced!

Fiat500USA
04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g-MbjK7Oh_I/VvS48O-zEbI/AAAAAAAAuBk/DQDi0NWAAP0su-7Ega3YRDUCw4RjsS1mwCKgB/s600/US-Fiat-Abarth-Spider-NY-16d.jpg

Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

The 124 Spider Elaborazione Abarth is now a full fledged Abarth model complete with a more powerful engine...

Read about it here... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/aiLZBLqPbgI/fiat-124-spider-abarth-announced.html)

Robert Nixon
04-29-2016, 08:54 AM
GLORY HALLELUJAH!

ABARTH MODEL THIS YEAR!

CIRCA $29,000 base price with shipping, manual transmission, 165hp/184ftlb

Base model (non Abarth) 124 Spider list price under $25,000

Abarthman
04-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Nice PR move by Fiat to make it a full Abarth (in name) and claim it has 5 more HP.

In actuality, nothing has changed other than the badging.

All 1.4Turbos produce 170hp, despite what they claim. This will eliminate some public angst from the original quotes about the Abarth Derivation having the same power, but in reality, like I said, nothing has changed.

We still need a 200+ hp Abarth available for public sale to blow the doors off the competition. If this car had that, and the Brembos and Recaros as stock equipment, they could sell it for $35K ++ all day and would not be able to keep them in stock. And they could EASILY do it; but it would mean certifying the engine at higher boost; and I'm sure EPA certification isn't cheap.

eurodave164
04-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Awesome news and well done Fiat NA.......You get all the Euro charm bla bla and that fantastic Abarth Engine.......bravo!

I noticed the news on Jalopnik.....people already saying ya but Mazda more reliable LOL......if only they knew what wholesalers and used car managers thought of Mazdas up here in Canada......ahh perception!

That being said, that Abarth will be a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Adding to this, the new restructuring by Kuniskis, things should get better!

Regards,

Trunkout
04-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Nice PR move by Fiat to make it a full Abarth (in name) and claim it has 5 more HP.

In actuality, nothing has changed other than the badging.

All 1.4Turbos produce 170hp, despite what they claim. This will eliminate some public angst from the original quotes about the Abarth Derivation having the same power, but in reality, like I said, nothing has changed.

We still need a 200+ hp Abarth available for public sale to blow the doors off the competition. If this car had that, and the Brembos and Recaros as stock equipment, they could sell it for $35K ++ all day and would not be able to keep them in stock. And they could EASILY do it; but it would mean certifying the engine at higher boost; and I'm sure EPA certification isn't cheap.

That's easy! Just "dummy down" that rally car version and make it street legal (barely!).
Please Fiat! Please!

davhamm
04-29-2016, 02:27 PM
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=17474&mid=1

Is the full press release.

All the other price news was good, but The all-new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Prima Edizione Lusso has a U.S. MSRP of $35,000, plus $995 destination. OUCH.

rnddude
04-29-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm with Abarthman, why all the Abarth woohoo? 165HP? comon' son, my 5 year old Pontiac Solstice with a 2.0 L motor makes 265 hp, 280 with the available
GM upgrade tune. If it doesn't get made with at least 200HP, it's no better than a Miata. The standard Spider version is the better deal....

Simmonz
04-29-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm with Abarthman, why all the Abarth woohoo? 165HP? comon' son, my 5 year old Pontiac Solstice with a 2.0 L motor makes 265 hp, 280 with the available
GM upgrade tune. If it doesn't get made with at least 200HP, it's no better than a Miata. The standard Spider version is the better deal....

But with the Abarth you do get the LSD, upgraded suspension and option for the Brembos. Those are pretty big upgrades even if its only "5" hp more.

MrFiat
04-29-2016, 07:30 PM
The big question is this: Now that the Elaborazione Abarth is off the table, whose arm do I have to twist to get a hold of one of the Elaborazione badges? It'd make a great addition to the Abarth corner of my garage, not to mention being an interesting piece of NA Fiat history ! :eagerness:

Klasse Act
04-29-2016, 07:35 PM
It sucks about the power rating but let the aftermarket have it and call it a day!

Amacento
04-30-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm glad to read FIAT USA is doing the right thing.

Will we get everything we want/desire? No... but that's life. FIAT USA doesn't enjoy the same sales they do throughout the rest of the world. NA has dedicated standard FIATs and ABARTHs. That isn't the case in every market. I'm good as long as the A124 has more horsepower than the F124 and all the other goodies offered abroad. Bravo to the community for making the collective voice heard.

Lil Blue
05-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Her Highness and I are torn. Pricing isn't bad, and we really like it. Still need to see one in person...sit in it, see how we like it..etc. My kid wants my Abarth if we do get it. Problem is I'm really attached to the Abarth, and Her Majesty is really attached to her Lil Blue. What to do...what to do

Trunkout
05-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Her Highness and I are torn. Pricing isn't bad, and we really like it. Still need to see one in person...sit in it, see how we like it..etc. My kid wants my Abarth if we do get it. Problem is I'm really attached to the Abarth, and Her Majesty is really attached to her Lil Blue. What to do...what to do

That's easy! No turbo no car! Bye Pop!

shagghie
05-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Betting that when dyno'd side by side with a base model 124 spider, that the Abarth will have much more than 5whp advantage at the end of the day. I'm travelling so hate to be lazy, but do we get the real MONZA exhaust now, or just a 'sport tuned' exhaust with the Abarth now?

The best thing about all of this is that someone at FCA listened, and had both the balls and wisdom to change direction, which is VERY difficult for them to do this late in the game indeed. That alone earns a lot of respect from me as an enthusiast, and lets be honest, a $300 voltage clamp piggy will take us to 200whp. I'll gladly take that additional cost up for FCA so they don't have to EPA a higher boost model...

Fiat500USA
05-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Betting that when dyno'd side by side with a base model 124 spider, that the Abarth will have much more than 5whp advantage at the end of the day. I'm travelling so hate to be lazy, but do we get the real MONZA exhaust now, or just a 'sport tuned' exhaust with the Abarth now?

The best thing about all of this is that someone at FCA listened, and had both the balls and wisdom to change direction, which is VERY difficult for them to do this late in the game indeed. That alone earns a lot of respect from me as an enthusiast, and lets be honest, a $300 voltage clamp piggy will take us to 200whp. I'll gladly take that additional cost up for FCA so they don't have to EPA a higher boost model...

Yes, this is a major accomplishment that a huge corporation listened to enthusiasts and fans and changed directions that late in the game. Hat's off to all that contributed on the Elaborazione thread. As I've said, you never know who reads this stuff. ;)

As far as the exhaust, the Monza is installed at Officine Abarth, so I'm going to say we don't get that. Preliminary info from a company source indicate that Mopar will have performance accessories and things like exhaust may show up. It was mentioned this would save homologation and certification costs, which makes sense. Remember, our car is a lot less comparing it to Europe.

I was also told some of the Abarth 124 interior bits won't make it over do to airbag differences. So that sounds like the Alcantara Kit didn't make it, but that can be remedied by an upholsterer.

Oddmanout
05-04-2016, 10:12 AM
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but the US configurator doesn't include the matte hood and trunk paint as an option. Was this removed as a US option, or was this just a limitation of the website interface? I can see that the website isn't completely up to date with the recent badging/name/power decisions, but the hood/trunk paint has been shown from the get-go.

morrisg
05-05-2016, 12:19 AM
And one more question: since the USA car is now a full Abarth model, will it have the scorpion badges? (YES, I hope).

Fiat500USA
05-05-2016, 12:41 AM
And one more question: since the USA car is now a full Abarth model, will it have the scorpion badges? (YES, I hope).

Yes, it will have Abarth badging. :thumbsup:

Fiat500USA
05-05-2016, 01:40 AM
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but the US configurator doesn't include the matte hood and trunk paint as an option. Was this removed as a US option, or was this just a limitation of the website interface? I can see that the website isn't completely up to date with the recent badging/name/power decisions, but the hood/trunk paint has been shown from the get-go.

The website will get updated. Remember, they revised the car literally within the last few weeks so it will take some time for the website to catch up with all the details and images.

Amacento
05-05-2016, 07:50 AM
That's easy! No turbo no car! Bye Pop!
No. Keep Lil Blue... the Pop is the purest version of the FIAT 500.

rnddude
05-05-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm glad someone at FCA listened, but all they did really is change the name. The "Abarth" upgrade parts are welcomed, but call it what it is...a 124 Club version. 5 more HP does not qualify for Abarth status IMHO. Owners should not have to go to the aftermarket to make the car what it should be right from the showroom floor. If they listened to us before, perhaps they will listen to us again...give us 200HP minimum.

Amacento
05-05-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm glad someone at FCA listened, but all they did really is change the name. The "Abarth" upgrade parts are welcomed, but call it what it is...a 124 Club version. 5 more HP does not qualify for Abarth status IMHO. Owners should not have to go to the aftermarket to make the car what it should be right from the showroom floor. If they listened to us before, perhaps they will listen to us again...give us 200HP minimum.
Not every original ABARTH model massively exceeded the donor model, but I am looking forward to more Scorpions on our shores.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2016, 12:44 PM

So many choices! The 500 Pop Cabrio is one of my favorites,though. The top back on a spring day in the country is a great way to spend some time.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Abarth 124 spec from Europe = Abarth. The stock car already outdoes the competition, the Abarth version even more so. No real reason for 200 hp in a very limited market in my eyes. People buying a $50,000 Z4 aren't looking at a 124 Abarth. They will sell more $29,000 cars than $35,000+ cars and I find it hard to believe they could justify the expense of adding overkill horsepower. I'll ask them though when I drive the car shortly.

Amacento
05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
So many choices! The 500 Pop Cabrio is one of my favorites,though. The top back on a spring day in the country is a great way to spend some time.
It's true. I've contemplated having another Pop one day.

morrisg
05-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Abarth 124 spec from Europe = Abarth. The stock car already outdoes the competition, the Abarth version even more so. No real reason for 200 hp in a very limited market in my eyes. People buying a $50,000 Z4 aren't looking at a 124 Abarth. They will sell more $29,000 cars than $35,000+ cars and I find it hard to believe they could justify the expense of adding overkill horsepower. I'll ask them though when I drive the car shortly.

Could you please ask for details on the mechanical LSD? I'd like to find out if it is the Mazda Torsen LSD??? I don't think it is because "mechanical" means a locking mechanism like the Quaife design to me, but I'd just like to make sure something hasn't been lost in the translation. Can you tell I'm an avid autocrosser! Thanks!

rnddude
05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Abarth 124 spec from Europe = Abarth. The stock car already outdoes the competition, the Abarth version even more so. No real reason for 200 hp in a very limited market in my eyes. People buying a $50,000 Z4 aren't looking at a 124 Abarth. They will sell more $29,000 cars than $35,000+ cars and I find it hard to believe they could justify the expense of adding overkill horsepower. I'll ask them though when I drive the car shortly.I have to respectfully disagree with several points. First off, what competition are you referring to that the stock car already outperforms? Comparing a 50K Z4 to a proper 200HP/$35000 Abarth is hardly a real comparison. Will 165HP be sufficient in the 124 "Abarth"? Do you really think the potential Abarth buyers will be content to leave the engine stock? I just believe FCA should build it to it's potential from the getgo and save us all the effort and out-of-warranty concerns of tuning. Case in point...how many people buy Ferraris and then have them modded....

Trunkout
05-05-2016, 05:24 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with several points. First off, what competition are you referring to that the stock car already outperforms? Comparing a 50K Z4 to a proper 200HP/$35000 Abarth is hardly a real comparison. Will 165HP be sufficient in the 124 "Abarth"? Do you really think the potential Abarth buyers will be content to leave the engine stock? I just believe FCA should build it to it's potential from the getgo and save us all the effort and out-of-warranty concerns of tuning. Case in point...how many people buy Ferraris and then have them modded....

Ah! See! Ferraris. You answered your own question.
FCA is more than happy to throw good stuff in those cars.
Now ask them how much "race priority" they give Fiat as a whole.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2016, 06:17 PM
I said outdoes in terms of output numbers, not outperforms, which we'll see next month when the tests roll in. The stock car has 36 lbs.ft more torque than the Miata, which is considered its direct competitor. The 124 Abarth adds 10 hp more, too. The Z4 was mentioned because it is the next Euro roadster out there. I don't know how many people would cross shop both cars.

Having 200 hp would be great, but then you need other things to to keep the performance balanced. Brakes need to be upgraded, OK a no brainer with the Brembos, but what about the suspension/chassis? Adding 50 hp more is going to require other changes and the question becomes how much could they sell the car for and how many people would buy a premium priced Spider? It is an intriguing question though and I'll ask someone and see if we can get an answer. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is there is no market / business case for it (that's the usual answer I get to why we don't have this or that), but we'll see.

It may also be that they don't want to deal with the warranty costs when things break on the car, too. 146 hp/L is a very high specific output out of a 1.4L engine. They have to guarantee these things for a long time. Remember the emission warranty is 8 years/80,000 miles. They can't slap a tune on it and kick it out the door. According to an exec at Mopar, it was a big reason we didn't see the Mopar/MM tuner offered on our cars.

Klasse Act
05-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Someone earlier brought up the Solstice GXP having 265 hp with some factory tune, umm last time I checked it made 260 hp in stock trim, so I would assume it makes more with ANY tune.

I hear what people are saying about warranty issues with tunes but you know those people are out there and WILL turn up the wick, can't wait to see and hear about those cars, great time ahead!!

Lil Blue
05-05-2016, 06:46 PM

She really does love her Lil Blue. I know she's been looking up classic Fiats also. We may not be buying a new car after all...but possibly a classic 500. We shall see.

Amacento
05-06-2016, 06:27 AM
I can only answer your query for myself.

1) I'm sick of the lack of corporate respect for ABARTH heritage in North America. This adjustment does deal with that on a base level... my primary gripe with what they were going to do.

2) I understand... regardless of the "would not be able to keep them in stock" claims... the A500 sales prove otherwise. This is a [soft-top convertible] Spider on top of being a brand [ABARTH] USAmericans outside the forums don't seem to care about. Again, adjusting the original plan for our shores deals with that misstep on base level.

3) 200hp, to me, doesn't equal better than a Miata. The fact it is a FIAT or an ABARTH makes it better than a Miata.

4) Comparing what GM or Ford is able to do on our shores makes little to no sense at all. FIAT is purchasing expensive eco-credits to make up for the lack of a full range of FCA vehicles. The deal with Google will help a little, but that will cost them money in at least 100 donor vehicles... the brand new Chrysler Pacifica... to stop the credit bleeding. Abarthman wisely ended one of his posts with conceding recertifying a 200hp A124 would cost a pretty penny. Bigger picture. That is a drop the mic moment.

5) My A500 does not have Brembos or Recaros and it is 100% ABARTH.

So... yeah... WooHoo! A corporate entity is showing respect for some of what fans have to say. WooHoo. Now, please Tim Kuniskis, let's revisit your 2012 idea of FIAT Custom Shop for factory-backed customization.

MrFiat
05-06-2016, 10:01 AM

First off, I agree, but let me weigh in on this one with a bit of history.

Yes, there are many American built automobiles today that have more horsepower and SOME of them even handle and stop pretty well. The current level of manufacturing and automotive technology in general makes it much easier to do than was possible in the 1960's. C,mon, how many 1960 Detroit built machines could actually turn a corner with any grace at all? The answer is not many (if any at all).

Let's face it. Most of the allure of vintage American cars (or most any car for that matter) is nostalgia. We remember going to the prom in them, your first date, or going to the drive in movie. To us, this makes the old cars important and we look at the new ones with the old brand names to somehow recapture those wonderful experiences. If you're honest with yourself you know it's true. Were they fun, absolutely yes, but from a technical aspect were they great cars, absolutely not.

Enter Abarth. In the mid 1900's Fiat (not Abarth) built cheap cars for the masses, like Germany did with the original VW beetle. Were they great cars? Not particularly, that is, until Karl Abarth converted a limited number of them into absolutely spectacular little giant killers. "Small but wicked" was their image and they certainly lived up to it. They went crazy fast for their time and handled great. Nothing could touch them. So much so that Abarth became a household name in Italy and a defacto symbol for anything fast, agile, and powerful. Not even Ferrrari had that distinction. This is fact, and sadly one that is lost on most Americans!

When the Fiat 500 and the A500 were reintroduced in Europe in the early 2000's, nostalgia had a lot to do with the instant acceptance of the cars. But the wonderful part of it is that Fiat and Abarth stepped up and proved that they could (and did) live up to their old image. It was a spectacular accomplishment. In the U.S. the Abarth name was not so much known as it was in Europe but those of us N.A. folks that did, felt the same way. The A500 went a long way to bringing that image to the N.A. shores. Today, the new Abarth 500 is still that "Small but Wicked" giant killer of legend, but now even here in North America.

Amacento keeps reminding us of the respect the brand deserves and when you condider what Karl Abarth did in the 1900's, you have to admit he's right. Karl Abarth raised the bar for the standard of performance automobiles and that bar hasn't been lowered since. The expectations for a performance car today are high and this can be a double edged sword for the manufacturer.

Short and sad version is this: In my opinion unlike the A500, FCA didn't step up this time with the Abarth 124. A fun, well built car, absolutely yes, but not quite the "giant killer" of old that it might have been when compared to other cars in its class. A cross between the A124 Rally and what is being offered now would be the ideal Abarth 124.

I applaud FCA for their efforts and perhaps in time an Abarth more worthy of the name will be offered. I sure hope so. The clock is running out of time for me with respect to car buying but it is my sincere hope that Fiat can give todays younger car buyers the same thrill they gave the Italians back in the '60's. It was a truly wonderful experience. They did it in Spades with the A500. Perhaps the A124 can evolve to follow suit.

Amacento
05-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Short and sad version is this: In my opinion unlike the A500, FCA didn't step up this time with the Abarth 124. A fun, well built car, absolutely yes, but not quite the "giant killer" of old that it might have been when compared to other cars in its class. A cross between the A124 Rally and what is being offered now would be the ideal Abarth 124.

I applaud FCA for their efforts and perhaps in time an Abarth more worthy of the name will be offered. I sure hope so. The clock is running out of time for me with respect to car buying but it is my sincere hope that Fiat can give todays younger car buyers the same thrill they gave the Italians back in the '60's. It was a truly wonderful experience. They did it in Spades with the A500. Perhaps the A124 can evolve to follow suit.
I agree, but would like to add there is a "giant killer" version of the A124. That is the one that will compete and it does, in fact, raise the bar VERY HIGH for runabout spiders. This is the street version. Sadly, one thing that changed the day don Carlo passed is the street kits/packages for these cars are no longer meant to transform the standard version to a race car. It seems we're forgetting how/where history took a detour while ignoring the fact this isn't the only A124 out there... it's the only one the average person can afford.

rnddude
05-06-2016, 11:09 AM
MrFiat's response echoes my sentiments exactly. Of course they could up the output of the 124 Abarth motor, but it is much easier to bolt on better brakes and suspension bits only. Yes it makes the pricing more competitive, but it basically pisses on the Abarth heritage for the sake of the bottom line. What's wrong with having a pricier halo car that respects the heritage? The base 124 is where they will make their volume sales money anyway, not on the Abarth version.

Amacento
05-06-2016, 01:21 PM
MrFiat's response echoes my sentiments exactly. Of course they could up the output of the 124 Abarth motor, but it is much easier to bolt on better brakes and suspension bits only. Yes it makes the pricing more competitive, but it basically pisses on the Abarth heritage for the sake of the bottom line. What's wrong with having a pricier halo car that respects the heritage? The base 124 is where they will make their volume sales money anyway, not on the Abarth version.
I'm in agreement. I own an A500 and I'm pretty sure I'll also own an A124 in the very near future. I could see FIAT USA doing the very exclusive halo car. But, keep in mind, FIAT S.p.A. and the ABARTH & Co division are doing that with the A124R. That is the 100% heir to the A124 we would really want. They were super exclusive then and they're super exclusive now. Would you rather they not expand involvement in Motorsport? Bring on the A595OT, A695AC, A695B, A695BR and A124R... and let us join in on the fun with the A500 and A124. That's how I see it.

One more thing of note: In the old days, FIAT owners were able to upgrade to different levels of ABARTH goodness. That is a tradition kept alive in Europe today. We jump right into the middle of the power curve line with our A500 (with an upgrade to the ABARTH Punto engine no less). The EU vs NA A124 is an equalizer of sorts.

MrFiat
05-07-2016, 08:49 AM
I agree, but would like to add there is a "giant killer" version of the A124.

I assume you're speaking of the A124 Rally, yes? If not then I'm way off base here. But let's assume you are. Then you're spot on. The Rally is indeed a true Abarth in every respect. It's everything an Abarthisti could ask for. It's not a street legal car of course, but even if it were it is appropriately priced out of reach of most car buyers -- as it should be. Hence the thought that a cross between the Rally and the present offering would be most appropriate. Cost be damned (wihin reason). You've suggested several excellent options that seem very reasonable. Most of them would certainly do well in turning the present mild mannered A124 into an affordable street legal "giant killer".

Sadly, one thing that changed the day don Carlo passed is the street kits/packages for these cars are no longer meant to transform the standard version to a race car. It seems we're forgetting how/where history took a detour while ignoring the fact this isn't the only A124 out there... it's the only one the average person can afford.

Reality can often be a royal pain in the butt. But realistically the laws related to automobile manufacturing have changed drastically from what they were in the mid 1900's. Back then, guys like Karl Abarth could create and sell their creations without all the government red tape and big brother interference that we're forced to deal with in today's world. Honestly, I think that if all the regulations were not in place, we would have seen several Karl Abarth clones (perhaps even Fiat itself) stepping up and building some totally wild, off the wall machinery. With today's technology, can you imagine the level of madness (and the corresponding mayhem) we would see on the roads?

THAT is exactly the way it was in Italy in the 1960's !! They survived quite well and MAN, did they have fun doing it.

But alas, big brother (as usual) is busy saving us from ourselves. Given the sheer number of clueless car steerers on the road today, perhaps in reality, that's not such a bad thing. But couldn't you just imagine the fun we could have if we could drive anything we could create? It would certainly take defensive driving to a whole new level.

Fiat500USA
05-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Could you please ask for details on the mechanical LSD? I'd like to find out if it is the Mazda Torsen LSD??? I don't think it is because "mechanical" means a locking mechanism like the Quaife design to me, but I'd just like to make sure something hasn't been lost in the translation. Can you tell I'm an avid autocrosser! Thanks!

Hi morrisg,

Fiat got back to me on your question.

The 124 Abarth does indeed use the same Torsen limited slip rear differential as the Miata.

Also, another tidbit/confirmation. The 124 Abarth has the same engine output as the European car, it is just in SAE numbers.

Amacento
05-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I assume you're speaking of the A124 Rally, yes? If not then I'm way off base here. But let's assume you are. Then you're spot on. The Rally is indeed a true Abarth in every respect. It's everything an Abarthisti could ask for. It's not a street legal car of course, but even if it were it is appropriately priced out of reach of most car buyers -- as it should be. Hence the thought that a cross between the Rally and the present offering would be most appropriate. Cost be damned (wihin reason). You've suggested several excellent options that seem very reasonable. Most of them would certainly do well in turning the present mild mannered A124 into an affordable street legal "giant killer".

Reality can often be a royal pain in the butt. But realistically the laws related to automobile manufacturing have changed drastically from what they were in the mid 1900's. Back then, guys like Karl Abarth could create and sell their creations without all the government red tape and big brother interference that we're forced to deal with in today's world. Honestly, I think that if all the regulations were not in place, we would have seen several Karl Abarth clones (perhaps even Fiat itself) stepping up and building some totally wild, off the wall machinery. With today's technology, can you imagine the level of madness (and the corresponding mayhem) we would see on the roads?

THAT is exactly the way it was in Italy in the 1960's !! They survived quite well and MAN, did they have fun doing it.

But alas, big brother (as usual) is busy saving us from ourselves. Given the sheer number of clueless car steerers on the road today, perhaps in reality, that's not such a bad thing. But couldn't you just imagine the fun we could have if we could drive anything we could create? It would certainly take defensive driving to a whole new level.
That is A LOT of car loving goodness you're communicating.

I just want enthusiasts to keep in mind before the '70s someone could purchase a standard FIAT and buy ABARTH conversion/tuning kits... much the way there are EsseEsse and Assetto Corsa conversion kits for the current EU ABARTH. 'Just want the incredible exhaust note? Purchase one of the legendary performance muffler packages. 'Looking for improved handling? Order one of the various suspension upgrades. 'Also want some additional power? Pick the kit that suits your pocketbook and need for speed. When you think about it that isn't very far off from what FIAT is doing with the EU and, now, NA A124.

We all agree the A500 is a true ABARTH. Is the power insane? No. But it has a Punto MultiAir shoehorned into the engine bay. How cool! The F124 and A124 will have the same motor (with a slight tune improvement and other goodies to the A124). There will be some additional upgrades available -- not unlike the good old days we all seem to want back. But it won't have everything the EU version has. FIAT S.p.A. has been a pretty good steward of his legacy. THAT is what I want to see continue. ABARTH Punto? Wicked. ABARTH 500? Wicked. ABARTH 124? Not as Wicked as the Rally version, but it will be Wicked... especially when compared to the Miata. The duo [FIAT and ABARTH] heritage are far beyond a "club" package.

You & rnddude are spot on about so much of what you've posted... BUT... the A124 is, in fact, maintaining some of the aged-old magic. Check the documented history and you'll see what I mean. Plus there is the 300hp version -- the unmatched heir in purpose & spirit of the original FIAT ABARTH 124 Rally. I see the ABARTH 695 Biposto and the ABARTH 595 OT in the same light. None of the insane versions of production ABARTHs diminish those offered for the masses.

Thanks for the brilliant exchange. You guys are a big part of the reason I enjoy this forum as I do.

Fiat500USA
05-28-2016, 12:56 AM
I updated the story on the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth with some exclusive information the other day in case you missed it. Probably the main difference between the European and North American 124 Abarth is the Racing Alcantara Kit (Alcantara dash trim and steering wheel) didn't make it over due to differences in US airbag specs. This also means the US car will wear a Fiat badge on the steering wheel while a new US spec steering wheel complete with an Abarth logo goes through safety testing certification. This may take up to a year. Same thing with the Abarth logo on the seats, as the seats also have airbags to deal with.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/04/fiat-124-spider-abarth-announced.html

Robert Nixon
05-28-2016, 06:56 AM
I guess it's no surprise that different countries have different safety regulations on automobiles. With some of the safety campaigns by the FIA and others, maybe some day this will change. Overall certainly I'm in favor of making cars as safe as possible, don't get me wrong! I've read that some cars legally built and sold in India wouldn't be anywhere close to being legal here.

mpchi
06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Would it be safe to say that it will be a while until we see the Abarth 124 coming over to the US shores? Its only within a few weeks away from the regular 124s arrival in other thread discussions. But have not heard any progress or dates on the Abarth. While not a potential buyer (as I just got my Abarth 500), still very curious to see this bad boy, especially when the new Mazda MX-5 was my other top contender candidate before I settled on the A500. Very interested to see how the Italian cousin performs in comparison.

Fiat500USA
06-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Check this out:. http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/05/fiat-124-spider-arriving-soon.html?m=1

I was told the Abarth would be available towards the end of summer. I'll report back if I hear anything different at the drive.

While you are waiting I've updated the Abarth story with the latest exclusive info. I don't believe you'll find this information anywhere else. Enjoy.

Axel
06-12-2016, 09:22 PM
New member here. Excited about the Abarth 124. Looks like fun to me.

Robert Nixon
06-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Axel,

Welcome to the forum! I think we're all looking forward to the 124 Spider too!