PDA

View Full Version : Limits of the 1.4 have been found

Jwco
04-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Hey all. Read an interesting article on exactly how much hp/tq our engine scan take before coming apart. Is this the same as the USDM spec? Discuss!

http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth-tuning/1-4-t-jet-engine-limits/

Fiat500USA
04-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forum. The European Abarth uses a 1.4L TJet engine which is different from out 1.4L MultiAir Turbo engine. Our engine is the type used in the Abarth Punto Evo and some other European FCA cars.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/2012-fiat-500-abarth-review.html

Jwco
04-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. The European Abarth uses a 1.4L TJet engine which is different from out 1.4L MultiAir Turbo engine. Our engine is the type used in the Abarth Punto Evo and some other European FCA cars.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/2012-fiat-500-abarth-review.html

So does the euro spec not have the same forged rods? I'm looking for information on the limits of these engines as I plan on picking up one Saturday. I want the euro drive phase one but the power increase is so substantial I am worried about longevity. If I need this car to last ten years, is the eurodrive phase 1 too much? I also see some complaints of oil burning. Was that resolved? Thanks!

Trunkout
04-28-2016, 10:02 PM
So does the euro spec not have the same forged rods? I'm looking for information on the limits of these engines as I plan on picking up one Saturday. I want the euro drive phase one but the power increase is so substantial I am worried about longevity. If I need this car to last ten years, is the eurodrive phase 1 too much? I also see some complaints of oil burning. Was that resolved? Thanks!

I wouldn't get one... Too many "potential" problems...

Fiat500USA
04-28-2016, 10:10 PM

Yes, we have forged rods I didn't have time to read the thread, but our engines are similar. We had Darron from TMC in Europe post on our forum about some of the differences in power between the Tjet and MultiAir Turbo. You can search on the forum for it. Pretty interesting, however that was a few years ago and tuning has evolved. I'm sure others will pop in and add to the conversation, but in general, anytime you increase the power substantially in an engine over stock levels, it is only natural that the increase strain may eventually affect the longevity of components down the road. How you drive and the maintenance done on the car is probably an even bigger factor, though. Someone who continually thrashes a stock car within an inch of its life may very well have more trouble than someone who has a well modified car but has mechanical sympathy and doesn't abuse it. You have to feel comfortable in your decision.

As far as oil burning, the cars aren't really known for it. But like any other performance car, some burn more oil than others. This also has a lot to do with how a car is driven and maintenance, etc. You may want to break your car in, get an idea of its oil consumption and put a few miles on it before modding it.

Jwco
04-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Well my thoughts are if the jet and multiair both use the same rods, they will both give out in the same hp/to levels.

Tiny Turbo
04-29-2016, 01:09 AM
So does the euro spec not have the same forged rods? I'm looking for information on the limits of these engines as I plan on picking up one Saturday. I want the euro drive phase one but the power increase is so substantial I am worried about longevity. If I need this car to last ten years, is the eurodrive phase 1 too much? I also see some complaints of oil burning.

EC found the limits of the engine and kept that in mind when they made their tune. The weak point was actually the pistons and it took an insane amount of abuse to blow the engine.
A tune is not going to hurt the engine. Just use the correct octane fuel and if you want longevity then don't abuse your car. Simple as that.
Those who are burning oil for the most part have been burning oil since the beginning. A tune won't suddenly make you start burning oil.
A few things to worry about with a tune. You may need new spark plugs with a tighter gap to prevent misfiring. Also you will have to look out for boost leaks.
My stock system was plagued so bad that I just decided to spend the cash and get a FMIC. Best decision ever.

gundam2000
04-29-2016, 10:08 AM
I have the OFT tuner. I went to a EC FMIC, my stock system leaked badly. I'm super happy with the car now. This might sound strange but a new motor is only $2500 so I'm not too worried about blowing it.

opiateESP
04-29-2016, 10:53 AM
A tune is not going to make enough power to blow up the engine. I have 40 horse over any tune and my car is still kicking. Ran out of fuel pump before I ran out of engine strength.

shagghie
04-29-2016, 11:38 AM
A tune is not going to make enough power to blow up the engine. I have 40 horse over any tune and my car is still kicking. Ran out of fuel pump before I ran out of engine strength.

^this

Now, the transmission, to me, is the real question mark. One guy is on his third now, and I am now on my 2nd after getting to ~245-250whp via big turbo(or more, need to dyno again now). OpiateESP has pushed the furthest so far in HP/TQ and he is on original transmission and many more miles that i have too, so YMMV! I have 3 solo2 seasons and a handful of big track events but still only 30k miles, and the tranny went. (The check-ball and fork assemblies froze in the casing)

Jwco
04-29-2016, 10:28 PM

that is impressive. How much power does your car have (it looks good by the way)?