PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new update

Sunshine
04-26-2016, 03:30 PM
I purchased my automatic 500X last August, had my first oil change a month ago and when I took it in for service, was told that a computer update was needed for various things including the transmission. Since then the car shifts extremely hard/rough from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, a jerking motion that it did not do prior to the update. After about 3 weeks I took it back and was told that they could not find anything wrong. I live 2 hours from the dealership and I think it worked it self out with the long drive. I use my car for around town mostly so of course the next day and ever since it continues to do it. My second problem started last week, a warning has come up that says "Service Keyless Entry System" and a yellow warning light in the shape of a key come us right next to the mileage. Another phone call to the dealership, and they do not know what that is or what is causing it. I took my key fobs and had the batteries changed and that has not made a difference the warning still pops up when the car is started and the yellow key light is on all the time. I am very unhappy with the lack of knowledge or concern of the dealership and am starting to regret buying this cute little car. While the key light thing is just annoying, I am more concerned on the hard jerky shifting in the transmission. Has anyone had these issues or have any advice?

Xtreme500
04-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry to here you're having problems Sunshine. My wife brought our 500X in last Thursday to fix the passenger vanity mirror and they also did some updates to mine as well. I agree it really pisses me off to adjust my engine, transmission, HVAC, and I think a steering ecm change. I didn't have issues before but now it shifts like ****, the steering wheel is crooked and the parking brake comes on automatically when put in park. I don't like the changes and they also won't undo them. To be honest I sometimes feel there are to many safety features on the car and it feels like big brother has robbed me of an enjoyable driving experience with the overkill of safety features.

randY49
04-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Xtreme500, you should be able to turn the parking brake (engage parking brake when put into park) off in the settings menu. It may just have been reset when they did the update. Sorry to hear about these issues. I just purchased a 500X for my wife last week and I noticed it can be jerky between the 1-2 shift, but otherwise I am very happy with it.

Moonfiat
04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Ha! I just logged on here to see if there were any "latest update issues" or I was going to submit my own observations on the 9-spd auto page, and what do you know? This group is already on it! I love this forum!

Indeed, I just had the oil changed and requested any and all updates to be done as I rather like the idea of constant refinement and updates just like on OS systems for computers and phones. I also expect some quirks and bugs to pop up and more refinement to come.

That said, the 1-2 shift is remarkably improved. I start off with a cold car down a steep city hill at low speed and that first shift is much better and feels like it gets caught out of sync less so. The 4-5-6 works seems better sorted in auto mode and more torque oriented in the 5-6 zone. However, the 2-3 is just awful and needs to be sorted. That was a butter smooth shift before the update. I also notice less so the dogleg 4-5 is less in sync but I wonder if those shifts are related to the 1-2 adjusting torque transfer and 2-3-4-5 suffering for it.

All these observations are noticeable under light throttle and city stop and go. Medium to heavy throttle delivers the shifts I was used to.

I think I'll go in next week and have the dealer redo the update just for fun and see if that helps. Otherwise, between the forum here, dealer tech messages and the like, we might just have to wait for version "3.01" for a fix. Think of it this way, how was your last iOS/WIN update?

Sunshine
04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
I will be curious to know your outcome once you take it back to the dealership to have the update redone, did not know that could be done or to even ask for that. The dealership for me is 2 hours aways, I have already been back once since the update and they told me they could find no problems or mention any kind of alternative. I would imagine I am not the only one that has called them about this issue, since this forum has others experiencing the same thing. BTW, the yellow key is still on my display and when I start the car, the "Service Keyless Entry System" is still there, it is starting to bug, the dealership claims they do not know how to resolve that either....

5port
04-29-2016, 12:47 PM
I will be curious to know your outcome once you take it back to the dealership to have the update redone, did not know that could be done or to even ask for that. The dealership for me is 2 hours aways, I have already been back once since the update and they told me they could find no problems or mention any kind of alternative. I would imagine I am not the only one that has called them about this issue, since this forum has others experiencing the same thing. BTW, the yellow key is still on my display and when I start the car, the "Service Keyless Entry System" is still there, it is starting to bug, the dealership claims they do not know how to resolve that either....

Interesting post about Service Keyless Entry on a 500X. This owner claims he caused it by walking out of range with his key fob. The good news is that the error causes no other problems. Bad news is that its supposed to reset and it hasn't:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?23474-Service-Keyless-Entry-Light-on-w-Nothing-Wrong

Sunshine
04-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Interesting post about Service Keyless Entry on a 500X. This owner claims he caused it by walking out of range with his key fob. The good news is that the error causes no other problems. Bad news is that its supposed to reset and it hasn't:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?23474-Service-Keyless-Entry-Light-on-w-Nothing-Wrong

Yes, I read this post and contacted this owner who happened to use the same Fiat dealer as I did. I just started my car one day and this warning icon popped up, had the batteries changed at Auto Zone and it made no difference, just an annoyance but it bugs me, and what if at some time there really is a problem that I have been ignoring??? What is interesting is when I called the service department they said they had not heard of this problem before, said they would research it and get back to me, had to call them back and they said there was nothing they could do about it but that I could bring it in. I live 2 hours away, have not wanted to make that trip for them to tell me that in person. So yesterday I find out from this owner, that yes they have dealt with this and apparently it was not that easy of a fix, very disappointed in the dealership's response to me. Makes me wonder what they are hiding....

Moonfiat
05-06-2016, 05:23 AM
I took "Donatella" back to the Fiat Spa to have the 9AT looked at again. I told them after the oil change and the latest updates, the transmission went from almost perfect to marginal. Yes, the 1-2 shift was improved but the previously smooth 2-3 shift was a clunker. I suggested a reflash or return to a previous TSB setting. They said they agreed with the rough shift and drove it around while hooked to a computer and improved the situation. I let it go at that. The 1-2 is still smooth and the 2-3 has improved while the 4-5 is mostly unnoticeable. Still, I feel the latest update has done a disservice to the continuous improvements on the 9AT.

I love my Manhattan dealer and the staff. I'm not going to mess with that. FCAU gives them the tools they are allowed and the dealers do the best they can. I think I'll inquire with Fiat tech to this issue as I'd rather be a helper than a complainer and maybe something will come of that. I have a heavy work schedule coming up so no more fiddling till June.

Sunshine
05-07-2016, 08:48 AM
I took "Donatella" back to the Fiat Spa to have the 9AT looked at again. I told them after the oil change and the latest updates, the transmission went from almost perfect to marginal. Yes, the 1-2 shift was improved but the previously smooth 2-3 shift was a clunker. I suggested a reflash or return to a previous TSB setting. They said they agreed with the rough shift and drove it around while hooked to a computer and improved the situation. I let it go at that. The 1-2 is still smooth and the 2-3 has improved while the 4-5 is mostly unnoticeable. Still, I feel the latest update has done a disservice to the continuous improvements on the 9AT.

I love my Manhattan dealer and the staff. I'm not going to mess with that. FCAU gives them the tools they are allowed and the dealers do the best they can. I think I'll inquire with Fiat tech to this issue as I'd rather be a helper than a complainer and maybe something will come of that. I have a heavy work schedule coming up so no more fiddling till June.

I appreciate your feedback, I plan on calling the dealership with some of the new information and advice that I have received on this forum, very helpful. My problems still persist with the transmission jerking in the 1-2-3 shift and the yellow key icon warning light. I do mostly around the town driving, so this hard jerking shift in the lower gears is annoying and a little embarrassing when I have someone else in the car, sort of like not knowing how to drive a manual shift car. On long drives, it is a nice smooth ride, I am hoping to getting this resolved, I really want to love this cute little car.

Ignacio Gomez
05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
I Have exactly the same problem and they keep my 500x for week they dealer put 200 miles on my car and what at the end they do a total system restart that help a little and now the car does not shift that hard on 1 to 2 to 3 gear what I did like of the update it make my 500x faster and better response with the aceleration

Moonfiat
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Sunshine, I joined a while back a FaceBook Italia group on the 500x and I think, think, I saw a pic posted of the key issue you have. I've made a cursory search through the group to see if I could find anything but haven't found anything yet. I'll keep looking when I have time which is compounded by translation issues. In the mean time, if you have a moment, look through the various Renegade forums and see if you find something similar. The Renegade sells X' more than the Fiat so a better "control" group for our rare birds!

Moonfiat
05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Hey Sunshine, I went through the the Italian FB page and there were two instances of your key warning light. One was fixed by touching the metal part of the key fob to the start/stop button but that was related to an undetected key. The second was interference from a mobile phone and situation resolved after a restart. Doubt any of that helps but switch many electric issues, trouble shooting varies from the obvious to lit candles and rabbit feet. Do share of you make some progress.

Sunshine
05-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks Moonfiat, I appreciate your feedback. I have made an appointment to take my car in for the problems with the transmission and the keyless entry, suggesting that they keep it overnight and start it cold so they can experience what I do everyday with the jerking transmission. I am thankful they agreed that it needs to be looked at and offered a loaner. I will hope for the best and will post my updates as the information here as helped me. As I have said before, I really want to love this cute little car. Thanks again everyone who has shared their experiences.

Moonfiat
05-28-2016, 01:16 AM
Sunshine, I'm out of orbit (high flying, low paid flight attendant), any improvement on your X since the dealer spa visit?

Sunshine
05-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Sunshine, I'm out of orbit (high flying, low paid flight attendant), any improvement on your X since the dealer spa visit?

Yes, I have an update on the latest "update"...the dealership agreed to keep it overnight for a cold start the next morning so they could experience the problems with the jerking transmission, the tech made some adjustments and it is somewhat better but there is still a not as hard, but noticeable shift in and out of 2nd gear, I guess at this point I have to just get used to it and hope that maybe a future update will take care of it. They gave me another 500X for a loaner with 3000 miles on it and it did the same thing, I am tired of complaining about it, and I am sure they are tired of hearing from me. I am pleased that they were willing to investigate and fix the "Service Keyless Entry System" warning light that would not go away, they had to replace the RF Module, not sure what that is but it took a few days for them to get it, all in all had the loaner for a week. Someone somewhere on this forum said "you can't expect a 25K car to drive like a BMW", I remind myself of that every time I get into my cute little car.

Moonfiat
05-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I agree with you on just living with the latest update. Oddly, at medium to heavy throttle, it works better than before but anything else (like the stop-n-go we both do), the needed re-refinement is evident. However, it is livable and mostly not noted so like you, I'll wait some time and maybe the next update will be a winner.

I don't fully agree with the BMW analogy. All those German vehicles have their own share of issues and a cursory glance at similar forums will prove at least THAT grass isn't much greener. But, those clients did as we did, we bought a car with emotion and character and not a Honda HR-V. That oddly, was my ringer the day the we bought the Fiat. I went early in the morning with full intent to walk out with an HR-V and the other half who knows cars only by color declared it a school teacher's car and just like that we went straight to the Fiat dealer and that was that. However, I did mention that we really, really, really needed to like the 500x as it will have some annoying issues as we are buying from two manufacturers absolutely not known for build quality but well known for passion and engineering.

I'm happy with that and a heavier throttle foot.

Fiat500USA
05-30-2016, 12:03 AM
For those that are interested, here is some background on the 948TE and why it may feel different compared to other transmissions. No doubt many here know about this already, but it's good for those who don't to read up on this special transmission.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2015/12/fiat-500x-transmission-software-update.html

johnner1999
05-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Being the new guy around here - I don't want to speak out of turn....

The ZF9 Speed used in our 500x is a work of art that simply tries way too hard! Backstory -- I am very familiar with this setup, my wife has it in her Cherokee with V6, and I had it in our Chrysler 200s AWD. The cherokee is a 2014 and since being out longer than the 500x, it was also the 1st publicly sold car here with it as well I believe... she has had about 6 software updates over the last 2 years maybe more. The techs have the ability to tune the bands a tad to update shift points but not too much! And as I have learned the early transmissions have had mechanical "defects" that ZF/FCA tried to solve via software fixes to delay certain shifts and or make some shifts much much more quickly to relieve stress. This transmission and computer package also needs about 1500-3000k miles of driving to setup correctly (I even suspect it learn and KNOWS the different drivers after about 5-10 miles... as the Cherokee <no longer have the 200s for over a year> feels very different to each of us when the other has driven it... its very cool IMHO.

OKAY before you think I am anti ZF9 -- I am not! its a work of art that needed some teaching and it seems all the MFG's that have deployed it have found that to be true!

okay back on topic -- my driveway is down hill and then my road is also down <well at least that is the typical path I take> and all three cars we have had now with this 9 speed produced odd and freaky 1-2 shifts 1st thing in the morning! The Cherokee after all its updates is pretty smooth - but still 'slams' into 2nd esp when cold.

I have noticed that the 500x in all instances feels amazing with its shifts! I suspect that my car being built in May 2015 <but just delivered last week> has some needed software - unless Studios typically update them while on the lot? And mine was sold / delivered on a Saturday (with no notice to the studio that we were buying it) so at some point on its 1st oil change I'll check to see.

in short - these transmissions take some time but in the end they are a work of art! the Cherokee with a 270HP 3.2L V6 and AWD - gets about 28MPG routinely on a all highway trip at 70 range. To me that is amazing and wouldn't happen with another transmission.

sorry for the long and off point post ;-)

Fiat500USA
05-30-2016, 12:31 PM
The 948TE automatic transmission uses a shift algorithm that includes learned information so that the shift quality remains even as the transmission wears. This learned information is referred to as “adaptation”. This has to be relearned when the control module is reflashed, Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the transmission shift quality may not meet expectations. Adaptation will continue to update as the vehicle is driven providing improved shifts as the vehicle mileage increases.

source: FCA

johnner1999
05-30-2016, 01:07 PM
The 948TE automatic transmission uses a shift algorithm that includes learned information so that the shift quality remains even as the transmission wears. This learned information is referred to as “adaptation”. This has to be relearned when the control module is reflashed, Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the transmission shift quality may not meet expectations. Adaptation will continue to update as the vehicle is driven providing improved shifts as the vehicle mileage increases.

Thats sort of what I attempted to say lol. But I failed.

Great post

5port
05-31-2016, 08:27 AM

Service managers should learn to recite this. Thanks.