PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Fuel Lock - Can't pump gas into 500L

Providence
04-17-2016, 02:50 PM
I did a key word search and could not find anything on this. Sometimes I am unable to pump gas into my 2014 500L Trekking because the gas pump nozzle won't go into my fuel tank. As you know, there is no cap or cover, only the fuel door. Once you open the fuel door there is a metal sliding plate that covers the fuel tank. Sometimes I can't get the gas pump nozzle inside. Even the gas station attendants in NY and NJ have difficulty. One Fiat repairman said the doors must be unlocked, but another Fiat repairman said no, it does not matter. Anyone have a fix? It only happens intermittently, like today when I was rushing to work and had an empty tank. THANKS

islander
04-17-2016, 05:03 PM
I've had similar problems from time to time with my 2014 Trekking (purchased Aug 2013). What seems to work for me is one or more of the following—

insert the nozzle from a slightly lower angle to disengage the 'door' (or at least vary the angle).
do not insert the nozzle with a lot of force or too far into the neck—about halfway is plenty I've found.
moderate the flow—I find compressing the nozzle trigger fully at the outset will pretty much guarantee that the flow will shut off. Once the flow starts you can increase it a bit—too much may cause shut-off.
the fuel tube/neck in the 500L may be very narrow or curved somehow and this becomes a problem with fuel pumps that deliver the gas at fairly high pressure.

There is at least one thread on this topic over on the 'red' forum. Search for 'Trouble filling gas tank?' over there.

Providence
04-17-2016, 05:20 PM
I've had similar problems from time to time with my 2014 Trekking (purchased Aug 2013). What seems to work for me is one or more of the following—

insert the nozzle from a slightly lower angle to disengage the 'door' (or at least vary the angle).
do not insert the nozzle with a lot of force or too far into the neck—about halfway is plenty I've found.
moderate the flow—I find compressing the nozzle trigger fully at the outset will pretty much guarantee that the flow will shut off. Once the flow starts you can increase it a bit—too much may cause shut-off.
the fuel tube/neck in the 500L may be very narrow or curved somehow and this becomes a problem with fuel pumps that deliver the gas at fairly high pressure.

There is at least one thread on this topic over on the 'red' forum. Search for 'Trouble filling gas tank?' over there.

Thanks. "Red" forum?

islander
04-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks. "Red" forum?

The '500owners.com' forum. This one is the 'blue forum'. Refers to the dominant accent colours in menus, etc. Bluish-grey maybe.

Providence
04-18-2016, 09:41 AM
The '500owners.com' forum. This one is the 'blue forum'. Refers to the dominant accent colours in menus, etc. Bluish-grey maybe.

Thanks

kringer2
04-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Especially the lower angle. I had an issue the first try. My wife had no problems. go at it with a lower height/angle works better.

Providence
04-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Especially the lower angle. I had an issue the first try. My wife had no problems. go at it with a lower height/angle works better.

Thanks

jcsimon
04-27-2016, 09:39 AM
I had the same problem last night and was taken aback. I ended up utilizing the funnel that comes in the jack storage compartment putting that into the tank and the nozzle into the funnel. I am hoping this is just a one time issue and will not happen again. The car is due in the shop within the next month and I'll mention it to them.

tcnole
04-28-2016, 11:37 AM
I sprayed some silicon based lube on the part that slides down. Haven't had an issue since. Gas is an excellent solvent and if any drips when you pull the pump handle out it will strip away the lubrication.