PDA

View Full Version : Uconnect Update

datasage
03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Does anyone have a changelog on this?

Update 1: UCONNECT®6.5 NAFTA RA4 16.05.33 MY15~16 BU(520) & FB (334)
Service Bulletin ID: 08-033-16
Release Date: 2016-03-02

HeatherD
03-28-2016, 04:45 PM
I have the update installed but don't notice anything different. Would love to know what's in it.

HeatherD
03-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Wait scratch that I have CarPlay now so that must have come with it? I also just got a new radio so maybe that was supposed to be there all along but it's definitely there now. The car's voice is also different than before. Also my rear camera sight guides went away & I had to put them back in.

datasage
03-28-2016, 09:00 PM
I noticed some navigation and voice changes. A minor change with the radio display in the upper left. I did not realize Carplay was available, will have to check next time I am out.

datasage
03-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Are you saying that you have Apple CarPlay enabled? I know there were planning to add it to UConnect, but there was no indication that it would be added to past models. I could not get it enabled on mine. Although I am not entirely certain the dealer upgraded mine to the latest version. Going to have to check the update version vs the version installed on my car.

I did see some changes though, In particular to navigation. The map has changed somewhat and the voice is softer.

datasage
03-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Digging through the files of the uConnect update. Some interesting odd things stand out.

The internal code for the Fiat 500X is Fiat 520 (Not sure it has any relation to the original 520). The 500L is the Fiat 334.

They seem to include code for all uConnect features, and by some means control what is available on each car.

Parts of the interface seem to built by a number of different vendors.

There seems to be a version mismatch. The update was suppose to be 16.05.33 but the internal version strings show 16.02.33. The update was built in January, even though it wasn't released until a couple of days ago.

wit2000
03-30-2016, 09:09 AM
I just preformed the update. You are correct that is 16.02.33 not 16.02.33. No apple play, at least with this one. It did chance the navigation home screen. I wonder if our hardware will support Car play. HeatherD may have it because she had a newer radio and newer software installed.

HeatherD if you can would you mind taking a few pic's of the apple play screen. Does it work over Bluetooth or just when you plug in via USB cable. This would be worth having my radio replaced to get Car play.

HeatherD
03-30-2016, 11:35 AM
I'll take some photos today. The only thing I dislike about it is if it is turned on and you try to navigate somewhere via voice it loads on to your phone instead of the navigation screen, so you have to turn bluetooth off if you want to use your car's navigation via voice prompt. There's no new buttons or anything, it was just there when I connected to bluetooth, a big box popped up that just says "Siri" and now Siri is controlling a lot of things the car used to control when my bluetooth is on whether plugged in or not.

If you install the new update & don't see it maybe unpair your phone then pair it again and see if it pops up.

grosa_2002
03-30-2016, 04:30 PM
I've had my X for a month now, I need to check the version, car mfg date 6/2015. Coming from the 500L Trekking to this version of the 6.5; it's a significant improvement. So far what I dislike is the radio will occasionally turn completely off for no reason, sometimes the phone or media starts streaming music when I didn't switch to the media. I know the dealer will want to blame my telephone but I will mention these gripes when I take it in for the first oil change.

datasage
03-30-2016, 07:47 PM
I've had my X for a month now, I need to check the version, car mfg date 6/2015. Coming from the 500L Trekking to this version of the 6.5; it's a significant improvement. So far what I dislike is the radio will occasionally turn completely off for no reason, sometimes the phone or media starts streaming music when I didn't switch to the media. I know the dealer will want to blame my telephone but I will mention these gripes when I take it in for the first oil change.

The media playing automatically happens when you plugin in a device. This behavior can be turned off too. If it happens randomly, maybe the cable has issues.

datasage
03-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I'll take some photos today. The only thing I dislike about it is if it is turned on and you try to navigate somewhere via voice it loads on to your phone instead of the navigation screen, so you have to turn bluetooth off if you want to use your car's navigation via voice prompt. There's no new buttons or anything, it was just there when I connected to bluetooth, a big box popped up that just says "Siri" and now Siri is controlling a lot of things the car used to control when my bluetooth is on whether plugged in or not.

If you install the new update & don't see it maybe unpair your phone then pair it again and see if it pops up.

There does seem to be more integration with Siri, but thats not carplay. Apple carplay takes over the entire screen and allows you to use car play apps from your phone: http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

FiatDood
03-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Looks like this turned into a CarPlay thread, but I'd like to know how you upgrade the version number? My X is at the dealer for the front brake update per the service bulletin (Fiat Technical Bulletin 05-010-15), and I noticed that there was also a bulletin for a Uconnect update (Fiat Technical Service Bulletin 08-059-15 REV. B). Do you download it from Uconnect to a USB, then install it that way?

When i showed the service center rep that the update was for a newer version than I currently have installed, he told me that they don't upgrade any software unless there's an actual issue. I asked him why the Bulletins then, and he said that they are just guidelines for the mechanics should a vehicle come in with that specific problem. He also said that if I wanted a software update, that it would cost extra. This doesn't sound right to me, has anybody else had experience with this?

datasage
03-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Thats a crappy dealer, software updates should always be warranty service whether or not an issue actually exists. I just had my oil changed at my dealer and asked them to check for any software updates. They installed several including the radio.

With Uconnect though, you can update that yourself. All other software updates needs to be done by the dealer.

FiatDood
03-31-2016, 04:09 PM
Thats a crappy dealer, software updates should always be warranty service whether or not an issue actually exists. I just had my oil changed at my dealer and asked them to check for any software updates. They installed several including the radio.

With Uconnect though, you can update that yourself. All other software updates needs to be done by the dealer.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll talk to the service manager about it.

500X_JML
03-31-2016, 04:28 PM
Once they connect your car they see what software components are out of date. The update process takes about an hour, really depending on the how many have to be done. That service rep is a crook for trying to charge you. There is an issue: the software is out of date on a car that relies on it to run properly. Yeah, talk directly to the manager; or try a different dealer if possible.

FiatDood
03-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Well, i decided to call Fiat USA first. I asked the rep if the dealer would update the car with all of the current software that's been released in the bulletins. She basically said what the dealer rep told me word for word. That they generally won't update anything unless there is a problem. That the bulletins are really meant for the mechanics to reference when there is an issue. She said that if nothing is wrong, then there isn't a reason to update.

Another dealer really isn't an option. Not worth the distance

If I would have known, I would have said i was experiencing all of the issues when I brought it in.

500X_JML
03-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Twice I've been to my dealer in Springfield, NJ and, on both, the process couldn't have gone any more smoother. Too bad about the dealership you have to deal with. The updates fixed major issues and were on critical components.

HeatherD
03-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Ok so I think you guys are right & it's not CarPlay but it is way more integrated with Siri than before - is that because I finally have a properly working radio or is that because of the update? I can now reply to texts via voice while driving so that's a pretty great development. I tried to take a photo but when it connects to Siri it uses the screen on my phone as well so I can't use the camera at the same time. When the phone is bluetoothed in now though and it has that little box in the middle that says phone connected or whatever, I noticed in the upper left corner of that box it now says "Siri" and I don't remember it saying that before.

orl2222
03-31-2016, 11:27 PM
I think the OP got her radio replaced, with a updated one with carplay. The rest of us won't be getting a update for that, straight from Fiat's uconnect desk.

datasage
04-01-2016, 12:31 AM
I can get that by holding the voice button down on the steering wheel, it pops up siri to be able to ask questions.

wit2000
04-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Twice I've been to my dealer in Springfield, NJ and, on both, the process couldn't have gone any more smoother. Too bad about the dealership you have to deal with. The updates fixed major issues and were on critical components.

I use the same dealer as you, JMK Fiat. They are great and every time I bring the car in they look to see if up dates are available.

Go to the Uconnect website, they have a video on how to update it yourself. The updated took about 10 min and was very easy to do. I did notice the little "Siri" in the box next to the phone info and the voice is much more human like.

grosa_2002
04-01-2016, 03:05 PM
The media playing automatically happens when you plugin in a device. This behavior can be turned off too. If it happens randomly, maybe the cable has issues.

The device (cell phone) is connected via Bluetooth not a cable so I'm not sure why it happens. At least once or twice a day.

grosa_2002
04-01-2016, 03:40 PM
I just checked the UConnect update website and got this:

Update available
Your 2016 equipped with the system qualifies for the following (2) software updates:
Update 1: UCONNECT® 6.5_RA4_15_21_37_MY16_FB
Service Bulletin ID: 08-059-15Release Date: 2016-03-30

Update 2: UCONNECT®6.5 NAFTA RA4 16.05.33 MY15~16 BU(520) & FB (334)
Service Bulletin ID: 08-033-16Release Date: 2016-03-02

So I guess I'll give it a try? Any details on what these Updates actually do? The last thing I want is to lose any functionality or make things worse.

datasage
04-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Did they just release another one? The release date seems misleading. It doesn't appear for me. I think its the update released last year.

datasage
04-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Update available

Your 2016 equipped with the system qualifies for the following (2) software updates:

So I guess I'll give it a try? Any details on what these Updates actually do? The last thing I want is to lose any functionality or make things worse.

The second one should supersede the first one. I't wont make things worse. But it does make a few things better.

FiatDood
04-01-2016, 10:27 PM

Update available

Got the X back from the dealer today. Replaced the front two rotors and pads.

Also just finished the Uconnect updates listed above. Haven't noticed any difference yet. The flash updates were a little finicky. Had to format the USB drive a couple times and try installing the .iso file from different USB ports, but finally got both updates to take.

grosa_2002
04-02-2016, 08:15 AM
So as I mentioned, the family has two X's. For mine, it asked for two updates, for the wifes car only one. The Akami installer would not work for me so I loaded the updates directly on the USB key. The updates have the same file name "swdl.iso" so I let it auto rename the second file "swdl_1.iso". Not a fan of ruining computers by incorrectly installing software, I called the help line on the U-connect website and a very helpful gentleman named Justin told me to install only one at a time and that it did not matter which one I installed first. I disagree with the order though as the sw version is different for each one. He also said the engine should be running so I did not want to take a chance, I suspect it will also update if the key is open, engine off. I removed the second file from the USB and installed the first no problem, then installed the second again no problem. When you do the install, it places a txt log file on the USB key. Text files are difficult to read but I took it, copy/paste to a word file and then you can see line by line and unit by unit (11 units in total) what was changed. Bootloader, IOC, System Data, Speech, EQ, Xlets, Sierra Air Card, HD Update and 11 is Friont Controller all updated. Now I only wait to see if when I take it to the dealer they log the sw updates in the system for me otherwise everytime I enter my VIN I'll get the same updates. I'd upload the log but it's "invalid" and/or "bites exceeded" to this forum.

HeatherD
04-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Pre-update this never happened but now it is switching over to bluetooth audio on the phone (I have none on my phone so switches from radio to silence) randomly on it's own. Some days it happens 3-4 times some days it doesn't happen at all. I think it's always plugged in when it happens so that could be part of it. Not a big issue but wanted to note it's happening to me as well.

wit2000
04-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Pre-update this never happened but now it is switching over to bluetooth audio on the phone (I have none on my phone so switches from radio to silence) randomly on it's own. Some days it happens 3-4 times some days it doesn't happen at all. I think it's always plugged in when it happens so that could be part of it. Not a big issue but wanted to note it's happening to me as well.

Do you have an iPhone? I had a Subaru outback that the same thing would happen. I had an iPhone and I had to keep my Bluetooth audio unpaired or it would randomly switch to Bluetooth audio. If you have no audio on your phone, than make sure your BT audio is not paired. Try changing the cable, use the one that came with your phone. Now in my X I have a cheep cable and sometimes I will be playing music via the cable, then for no reason it will switch to the same song via Bluetooth.

Didn't you have your radio replaced? Maybe this one needs to be re flashed, i believe your software version is newer than ours. There may be a glitch in your software.

HeatherD
04-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Yes it's an iphone & I did just have the radio replaced. I wish I could figure out how to pair it with bluetooth only to make calls and texts but not for audio or anything else. I love that I can compose texts with it now while driving, but I hate that I have to unpair it in order to use navigation voice commands on UConnect (otherwise Siri opens imaps and it navigates from my phone screen). Would be cool if I could pull up directions on google maps on my phone then have them sent to the UConnect system to see them on that screen.

grosa_2002
04-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Yes, there is definitely some Bluetooth and Streaming issues with U-connect. Even before the updates both vehicles randomly switch from radio to media phone stream. I have a Galaxy S6 and the wife has an i-phone 6. Either vehicle and either phone do the same. I've also noticed that when in a call using hands free, the calls drop and/or communications are not clear.

Perhaps Fiat Cares is monitoring and I also want to check the website to see if the issue can be raised.

neubauerjoseph
04-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Quick questions if I buy a trekking with out the 6.5 uconnect can I buy it off a OEM suppier and have to instail after? or do I have to get one that come with it from the factory?

grosa_2002
04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Quick questions if I buy a trekking with out the 6.5 uconnect can I buy it off a OEM suppier and have to instail after? or do I have to get one that come with it from the factory?

That question won't be easily answered. Everything should be plug-n-play except for the software, any antenna differences (Sat and Nav on the 6.5) and for sure the head will need to be paired to the instrument cluster by the dealer.

My previous vehicle was a 2013 500 Abarth AM/FM/CD only. I purchased an original satellite head unit from ebay, installed a magnetic mount antenna and presto, Sirius Sat Radio. Soon after I realized odo flashing, steering wheel controls, bluetooth nothing worked. Took it in and had them align the head with the cluster. The difference between the vehicle with less options and a fully loaded X is not that much and really worth it in driving and owning enjoyment.

neubauerjoseph
04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Sometime my local dealers just don't have the 6.5 uconnect so that's why I am asking.

grosa_2002
04-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Sometime my local dealers just don't have the 6.5 uconnect so that's why I am asking.

I would search the nearby inventory until I found the car I really want, then either travel to that dealer or have your dealer bring it and foot the $400 bill to transport. There's nothing like a car with the factory options you want all working and warranted.

johnkatos
04-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Although we have only had our 500x lounge for three days, yesterday I updated the 6.5 Uconnect to the latest firmware. It definitely added 'Siri Eyes Free', I have this on two other vehicle with aftermarket Pioneer units. I may not have noticed but the backup camera now shows a center line and all the lines change in sync with the steering wheel position, showing approximately where you are going.

Ignacio Gomez
05-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi guys and thanks for this forum I learn a lot of the issues with my X Last night I did the Radio Upgrade and the big change so far is the Siri voice command is not the apple car play is just the Siri function is it active and so far is great addition. And only work if you do a long press in the voice comand at the steering wheel is you do a short press you can use the normal uconnect radio comand and she have a new sexier voice 😜😜😜😜 as contrary to other person in this blog my sofware update came in correct 16.05.33 at the moment I finish the update in the sofware version at my radio screen If you guys find any new function please post
Againg Thanks to all of you for this great Blog

atjm38
06-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Wait scratch that I have CarPlay now so that must have come with it? I also just got a new radio so maybe that was supposed to be there all along but it's definitely there now. The car's voice is also different than before. Also my rear camera sight guides went away & I had to put them back in.

My rear camera guides also disappeared after updating with the 2 nes Uconnect downloads mentioned. How did you get them back?

randY49
06-21-2016, 12:54 PM
My rear camera guides also disappeared after updating with the 2 nes Uconnect downloads mentioned. How did you get them back?
I think it is in the settings menu.

bnghle234
11-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Is there a way to check which version of uconnect 5.0 my car has? The dealer told me they updated the software, but I was still having issues and uconnect rep told me to check that I had the latest version. How do I do that?

Anson500x
11-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Is there a way to check which version of uconnect 5.0 my car has? The dealer told me they updated the software, but I was still having issues and uconnect rep told me to check that I had the latest version. How do I do that?

I would like to know too! :)

Fiat500USA
11-23-2016, 01:27 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q6hzsdCluDU/Vfbg9fmISXI/AAAAAAAAnPg/36opG1P0w_w/s900/Fiat_500X_Uconnect_update_a.jpg

It should be listed under setting and system information.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2015/09/fiat-500x-uconnect-software-update.html

Fiat500USA
12-01-2016, 12:11 PM

It should be in settings under system information.

bnghle234
12-02-2016, 08:32 PM
It should be in settings under system information.

This isn't the system I have unfortunately. I have 5.0, not 6.5.

Fiat500USA
12-03-2016, 02:57 AM
This isn't the system I have unfortunately. I have 5.0, not 6.5.

Is there a settings listed in the menu?

Anson500x
12-04-2016, 03:15 AM
Is there a settings listed in the menu?

I tried on my 5.0 too, couldn't find the system information screen at all. lol Sighhhhh....

500X_JML
12-05-2016, 12:35 PM

I have a Uconnect 5.0 and the way to check the version is to do the update procedure yourself, which you can and is rather straightforward. Before the actual update you will be shown what version you have and what version you are trying to apply, after which you can back-out or proceed. Just do a Search in the Home page, the steps were posted there sometime ago.

SpeshulEd
12-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Hi, newbie here.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the whole Uconnect/CarPlay update but do check in on it occasionally. I googled and happened across the below link.
https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2016/09/01/4th-gen-uconnect-system-8-4-touchscreen-adds-android-auto-apple-carplay-for-2017/

I would assume that the 6.5"/RA4 found in the X would be comparable to the 8.4"/RA4 found in other vehicles. Does this mean that CarPlay is around the corner for us or are we SOL?

datasage
12-15-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't think 500x is going to get it. It seems like the screen needs to support multitouch input which it doesn't do.

If you really want it, you can replace the audio system with an aftermarket option.

500X_JML
01-21-2017, 01:53 PM
I updated my Uconnect 5.0 software this morning. I went from version 08.05.06.02, which I applied last October 2015, to the current 11.03.00.00.

davevoss
01-22-2017, 01:10 PM
I updated my Uconnect 5.0 software this morning. I went from version 08.05.06.02, which I applied last October 2015, to the current 11.03.00.00.

What changes have you noticed, following the update?

maelxich
01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
I just bought a 2016 500x Lounge and my 6.5" Uconnect is currently on 15.21.37. When I check the VIN on the UConnect website, it says that its up to date. Has this happened to anyone?