PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Fiats

sjmst
03-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Drove my '82 X1/9 yesterday

Now, stop me if you've heard this one. Being a 20 something in the 80's :distant:, the Fiats of my time were Brava's, Strada's, Spiders and X1/9's.

They were intricate with a jewel like look to them. Never mind that they were as delicate as glass.
I had full time job, so I decided to get a Fiat. Of course, it had to be a sports model. So which would it be? The X1/9 or the Spider?

I went to Roma Imports in Patchogue, a Fiat new car dealer.

The salesman gave me the keys to check out a red X1/9. "Here are the keys to your car," he said.
I like it, but just thought the Spider was a bit more classy.

The dealer said the black spider I wanted was as "rare as hen's teeth" - See, I recall the exact language.

So, he found me a brown one. This being 1982, Brown was not only in style, it was actually the color Fiat chose for the Spider Brochure

Of course, every time I saw an X1/9 I wanted one of those too, and have wanted one since I bought by Fiat Spider new in 1982.

Last year, I finally got my red x1/9. It wasn't even for sale, but I begged another Fiat club member to sell it to me. It had to be THIS color.

The Spider is classy looking, but the X19 is way more fun to drive. Like a go kart.

Also, you really need to see the many details and features packed into this 1982 year car. The thoughtfulness and design that were put into this inexpensive vehicle is really unbelievable.

So now I have this Red X and the Brown Spider some of you have seen, over 30 years later. Just like the ones in the brochures for that year. Got a vintage Fiat story? Let's hear it.

Robert Nixon
03-27-2016, 09:58 PM
I've always been interested in the X1/9 but haven't even driven one. Have fun!

Tweak
03-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Just a congrats because it is very cool you got what you wanted and enjoy them so much.

I really would like to have an X1/9 Bertone but it isn't likely sadly.

sjmst
03-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Just a congrats because it is very cool you got what you wanted and enjoy them so much.

I really would like to have an X1/9 Bertone but it isn't likely sadly.

Thanks, Tweak and Robert. If you are ever in the LI area let me know and you take it for a spin.

Sammy124
10-04-2016, 03:48 PM
The shape of things to come..