PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Zeon RS3-A Tires

Trunkout
03-10-2016, 01:02 PM
On dry pavement, in corners, off the line... EXCELLENT GRIP MY GOD.
Rain and snow have yet to be seen, but these are WAY BETTER than the Pirellis!!!

Haring
03-10-2016, 02:59 PM
That's what I've had for over a year now. Love them. First test of them was the Dragon last year and in the rain that first day they were great. Had Kuhmos before that but they wore quickly.

Tiny Turbo
03-10-2016, 03:16 PM
I've beat the hell out of these Coopers on gravel trails, drag strip, Dragon and I'm blown away. Very durable for a cheap tire.
The thing that still amazes me is how they grip on wet pavement. Sometimes on rainy days I have trouble breaking the tires loose on purpose.

I wonder if any have tried the summer tire variant of these? RS3-S?

B3NN3TT
03-10-2016, 03:46 PM
They break loose like crazy compared to my Bridgestone RE-71R's. I took a spirited corner off a dry freeway ramp on the Zeons and found myself in a nice long unintentional 4-wheel drift. So I guess "EXCELLENT GRIP MY GOD" is a rather subjective assessment. I have to remember to put myself in "no-season tire" head-space when I'm driving on those things or I'll wind up in a ditch.

Tiny Turbo
03-10-2016, 04:06 PM
They break loose like crazy compared to my Bridgestone RE-71R's. I took a spirited corner off a dry freeway ramp on the Zeons and found myself in a nice long unintentional 4-wheel drift. So I guess "EXCELLENT GRIP MY GOD" is a rather subjective assessment. I have to remember to put myself in "no-season tire" head-space when I'm driving on those things or I'll wind up in a ditch.

Sounds to me like you threw the car off balance. I went through the dragon way faster than I should have and these things barely made any noise.
At the drag strip they performed like an all season tire... a mild 3000rpm launch left me spinning the wheels the first 60 ft.
For an All-Season at half the price of those Bridgestones they are great for the value. Just have to keep that in mind. (some people are looking for a bargain, there are always better things for more money) I got my Coopers for 60 dollars a tire on TireEasy website. Not saying they are the best tire ever but anything is really... when compared to the tires the car comes with.

Trunkout
03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
What REALLY gets me is they are 500 treadwear! Maybe they actually might last! Never mind... I have a Go Pedal...

B3NN3TT
03-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Sounds to me like you threw the car off balance. I went through the dragon way faster than I should have and these things barely made any noise.
At the drag strip they performed like an all season tire... a mild 3000rpm launch left me spinning the wheels the first 60 ft.
For an All-Season at half the price of those Bridgestones they are great for the value. Just have to keep that in mind. (some people are looking for a bargain, there are always better things for more money) I got my Coopers for 60 dollars a tire on TireEasy website. Not saying they are the best tire ever but anything is really... when compared to the tires the car comes with.

Sure, it's a fair point. I'm not saying that they aren't fine all-season tires - quite the contrary; I wouldn't be buying them if they weren't. But I just thought the OP was a little exuberant; I mean, being an all-season tire, they're a compromise from the get-go. But they're fine - for what they are.

cgpiper
04-13-2016, 01:11 PM
I had the Coopers as my first replacement for the Pirellis and autocrossed with them my first year. They were better than the Pirellis, but then I went with Dunlop Direzzas for my second year. Another improvement, but last year I replaced them with the Bridgestone RE71 and gained at least 1-2 seconds (or more) per run. But I had to switch to 16" rims because the RE71 isn't available in the Abarth stock 17" size.

Love these!

Tiny Turbo
04-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Well I just rotated these after 12k miles which is longer than I should have waited. 8 Passes at the strip and the Dragon last year.
To my surprise there was not as much wear as my Pirellis had with fewer miles in comparison.
Even that one wheel up front that takes the beating from the open diff looked good. :burnout: