PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change Mileage?

davevoss
03-09-2016, 02:06 PM
These days, most manufacturers are extending the intervals between oil changes, and it has become common for 10k miles to be the recommended interval. In my opinion, that just seems like too far to go, especially when some owners may not even open the hood, much less check the oil level, between trips to the shop for scheduled maintenance. I've read about instances where engines began making odd noises before the first oil change, caused by an engine that used oil during the break-in period, and then ran on too little for too long afterward, all before the odometer said it was time to go in for the first service. Years ago I owned a VW Jetta that would use oil (burn, not leak) at a rate of about one quart per 1000 miles of driving, which was enough to be a big problem if I forgot to check and top it off between oil changes. When it was time for an oil service, most of the oil had already been replaced anyway, which the dealer agreed was an excessive rate of loss, but off the record said was actually quite common for that series Jetta/Golf/Beetle, as it seems many engines just burned oil from new.

While I haven't experienced this with my new 500X, I was mindful about checking the oil level, just to see if it was using any during break-in and the few thousand miles of driving that followed. I'm happy to report that the 2.4L engine hasn't used any, as the dipstick reading didn't move at all. I did, however, elect to have the first oil and filter change at around 4k miles, a little bit before the 5k mile interval that I feel comfortable with. Out of curiosity, I did not reset the oil change reminder, since I wanted to see when the car would let me know that it thought it was time to change the oil. The reminder did not come on just after 8k miles, well before the published 10k interval. In fairness, I know that the car is supposed to monitor driving habits, and recommend when the change the oil based on that, and in my case it was around 8k miles.

So, when did your 500X tell you that it was time to change your oil? And when did you actually perform the first oil change?

carfreak09
03-09-2016, 09:05 PM
I plan on doing my first oil change around 3k in order to get rid of any break-in particles that may be circulating. Admittedly, this is a bit old school but I still think it's a good idea to be safe. After that, I plan on following the change oil reminder. Based on my experience with my other Fiat turbo, the oil change reminder came on around 8k, so that seems to be the standard mileage if you aren't too hard on the car. I don't mind following an 8k oil change interval as the turbo comes from the factory with synthetic oil. I'm not sure what they put in the 2.4 though. If they use standard oil, I'd change the oil every 5k or switch to synthetic and follow the oil change reminder.

I will warn those who get the X Pop to be sure to check the oil periodically as the 1.4 turbo is a known oil user. It's not bad at all but in 8k, it will use a quart, with some reporting even higher usage. If you never check it between oil changes, you risk running the engine low on oil.

Robert Nixon
03-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm willing to follow the owner's manual, so for the Abarth that's 10K or when the light comes on. Not sure what the manual says for the X.

Tweak
03-09-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm willing to follow the owner's manual, so for the Abarth that's 10K or when the light comes on. Not sure what the manual says for the X.

I think you meant...

"I'm willing to follow the owner's manual, so for the Abarth that's 10K or 1 yr or when the light comes on".

;)

SeaDawg
03-10-2016, 03:48 AM
I plan on doing my first oil change around 3k in order to get rid of any break-in particles that may be circulating.
I will warn those who get the X Pop to be sure to check the oil periodically as the 1.4 turbo is a known oil user. It's not bad at all but in 8k, it will use a quart, with some reporting even higher usage. If you never check it between oil changes, you risk running the engine low on oil.

I'll just be the gadfly here and state that the device known as an 'oil filter' traps all those 'break-in particles' before the oil is sent to the far reaches of the engine. 8-) You should have convinced the dealer to throw in the 1st oil change for FREE!

I'll also be the troll and state that anyone who doesn't check their oil AT LEAST every other gas fill up is a MORON in my book. The most I ever noticed the oil level in my 1.4 turbo to be down was about an 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch over the entire year between oil changes. I checked the oil level virtually EVERY time I put gas in. Of course, being retired, small creatures could have setup housekeeping in the engine compartment between uses...sometime.

jayadam63
03-10-2016, 05:12 AM
I just did my own at 2000 miles. Old school I am regarding the break in oil. I like doing stuff myself to make sure its done right.

alex500a
03-10-2016, 05:46 AM
No point in changing the oil early, but not going to hurt it. I waited for the light and my first change was at 8k.

5port
03-10-2016, 09:39 AM
I just did my own at 2000 miles. Old school I am regarding the break in oil. I like doing stuff myself to make sure its done right.

Can you fill us in on what was required (ramps needed? oil filter type? etc). I am retired so the miles come slow. Only up to 300 miles but I plan to do it around 2K also.

jayadam63
03-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Can you fill us in on what was required (ramps needed? oil filter type? etc). I am retired so the miles come slow. Only up to 300 miles but I plan to do it around 2K also.

Sure!

I used ramps and just drove up. I have the composite ones as I like them better than the metal ones.

Once up the ramps:

You just have to unbolt the plastic pan below the engine. There are 6 bolts. Do them from the back of the car forward. When you do the last two, the pan will then slide aft and then drop out.

You'll then see the drain plug -- 13mm socket will take care of that. Oil will flow over a cross-member below the engine. It's designed that way to keep the cross-member from rusting. <JOKING> After draining put the plug back in. Don't go crazy tightening.

Put the pan back on. Start from the front and work to the rear doing 2 bolts at at time but putting them in loosely at first. Follow up by tigening them snug but not over-tightening. Easy-Peasy.

Mopar Oil Filter PART # 68102241AA

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fiat-Parts-68102241AA-Filter/dp/B005THRC46

(You can google "Fiat 500 Oil Filter" to get alternatives if you wish)

Top side: Locate the oil filter canister which is directly behind the radiator on the left side of the engine compartment. It is surrounded by a molded shield on its upper right. You access it from the top, and not underneath the car. It is a black domed plastic piece with a 27mm hex extension in the center. Use a 27mm socket with a 6" ratchet handle and loosen the cap of the canister. This is tricky since there is very little room and a hose in the way. The cap may be tight from the factory, but just keep turning to the left and unthread it all the way until it can be removed. The filter element snaps in to the cap, so it will not fall out while removing the cap. Remove the filter element by pulling firmly on it until it snaps out. Install the new one so it snaps in to the cap. Replace the rubber O ring on the outer edge of the cap and lube with oil. Install the cap and new filter and thread it down until you feel the threads end. Do not over tighten since it is a plastic part.

ABARTH / 500T Variation -- Remove the intake tube to the turbo to expose the oil filter canister.

Put 4 quarts of oil in. (500 Turbo / Abarth 5w-40 SYNTHETIC. All others 5w-30.)

To clear an oil change indicator if you have waited until it illuminated:

1) Turn ignition to on...but do not start.
2) Press gas pedal to floor 3 times.
3) Turn ignition off.

Start engine. Check for oil light on dash. Wait about 15 or 20 seconds. Turn engine off. Wait a couple minutes. Check dipstick to see if full.

Done.

streetsurfer
03-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Great instructions, jay. However, I think it is also stated that you should at least crack the filter cap loose during the draining (before drain plug is re-installed) in order for any oil that may be held in the filter housing to also drain out. This may help prevent an overfill situation of some ounces, should any oil remain in the housing. It may be a minimal amount but enough of an overfill can aerate or froth up the oil and damage bearings.

5port
03-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the tips jay. Great info that will be put to good use. For the record I always open the fill cap first to relieve any vacuum.

jayadam63
03-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Great instructions, jay. However, I think it is also stated that you should at least crack the filter cap loose during the draining (before drain plug is re-installed) in order for any oil that may be held in the filter housing to also drain out. This may help prevent an overfill situation of some ounces, should any oil remain in the housing. It may be a minimal amount but enough of an overfill can aerate or froth up the oil and damage bearings.

Thanks for the tips jay. Great info that will be put to good use. For the record I always open the fill cap first to relieve any vacuum.

Absolutely! This was just a quick and dirty. All the normal oil change do's and don'ts apply! coolgleam

Moonfiat
03-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Probably too late but before this turns to an old-school, new-school debate, it must be said that everyone is right! History says an oil change every 3K is amazing. Technology says when the computer says to change the oil is the best time. I come from a family (and I've always practiced) where 3k oil changes was the norm and we have always enjoyed the ability to do so. I've even bought cars based on where the oil filter was placed (curse the 1985 Maxima, kudos to the Shadow R/T). However, I pushed the Mazda3 to 5K intervals and that engine was rock solid all the way to 99,989 NYC miles. I gave into production nuances at 4K for the 500x and felt a bit ridiculous and will now just do seasonal changes or as the computer may suggest. I say seasonal as I have to hold onto "old school" beliefs that 0-100F changes in temperature is still beyond the realms of petroleum chemistry. I drive about 9K a year in NYC with maybe, maybe 2K of those miles on a highway out of the city. I think a spring and fall change is perfectly reasonable for today's engine and oil tech.

doverosx
03-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Probably too late but before this turns to an old-school, new-school debate, it must be said that everyone is right! History says an oil change every 3K is amazing. Technology says when the computer says to change the oil is the best time. I come from a family (and I've always practiced) where 3k oil changes was the norm and we have always enjoyed the ability to do so. I've even bought cars based on where the oil filter was placed (curse the 1985 Maxima, kudos to the Shadow R/T). However, I pushed the Mazda3 to 5K intervals and that engine was rock solid all the way to 99,989 NYC miles. I gave into production nuances at 4K for the 500x and felt a bit ridiculous and will now just do seasonal changes or as the computer may suggest. I say seasonal as I have to hold onto "old school" beliefs that 0-100F changes in temperature is still beyond the realms of petroleum chemistry. I drive about 9K a year in NYC with maybe, maybe 2K of those miles on a highway out of the city. I think a spring and fall change is perfectly reasonable for today's engine and oil tech.

It's unnecessary, my oil is tested by a lab.

jayadam63
03-13-2016, 11:21 AM
It doesn't matter to me. The first one I did at two thousand miles. I'll probably do it in 5000 mile intervals after this. I do it when I do it because I want to.

Oil wars on forums are hopeless.