PDA

View Full Version : 500X Abarth

MrFiat
03-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Looks like we're getting yet another new member of the Abarth line. Part of the FCA lineup for 2017 will be a 500X Abarth. According to the article the model will have the 1.7 turbo engine putting out 200hp. Should be fun.

Topspeed.com has the story:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/fiat/2017-fiat-500x-abarth-ar170803.html

Xtreme500
03-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Why didn't I just wait.

Fiat500USA
03-04-2016, 10:23 PM
There may be a higher performing 500X, but it may not wear an Abarth badge. A while back, a knowledgeable source told that they weren't going to put an Abarth badge on the 500X, the argument beeing a CUV is not in keeping with the track focused company. We'll see if this was overruled...

MrFiat
03-05-2016, 02:08 PM
There may be a higher performing 500X, but it may not wear an Abarth badge. A while back, a knowledgeable source told that they weren't going to put an Abarth badge on the 500X, the argument beeing a CUV is not in keeping with the track focused company. We'll see if this was overruled...

Interesting indeed ! When I read the article, it struck me as a bit odd that the X would carry the Abarth name, but then again, who am I to blow against the wind?

Abarthboy
03-05-2016, 10:50 PM
This is pretty cool but I don't find myself regretting having just bought a non Abarth X. After almost 4 years with a 500 Abarth I'm kind of enjoying the quieter exhaust note and compliant suspension. Much to my surprise I'm even enjoying the automatic transmission. Which is not to say I won't get the itch in 3 or 4 years....

Trunkout
03-05-2016, 11:28 PM
After seeing the X can have an Abarth engine (and MANUAL) I was happy...
To think you could have a 4C engine AND AWD!

Abarthboy
03-06-2016, 07:55 AM
After seeing the X can have an Abarth engine (and MANUAL) I was happy...
To think you could have a 4C engine AND AWD!

It would be pretty cool. Reviewers say that the Porsche Macan is like a sports car that happens to have AWD and rides a bit higher. Seems like the X Abarth would be the same. Time to start saving up....

MrFiat
03-06-2016, 11:11 AM
It would be pretty cool. Reviewers say that the Porsche Macan is like a sports car that happens to have AWD and rides a bit higher. Seems like the X Abarth would be the same. Time to start saving up....

As Chris mentioned earlier in this thread, the more powerful X may not carry the Abarth name. Still -- if it comes with the 1.7 4C motor and AWD, it should prove to be a very interesting automobile, with or without the Abarth badging. As usual, we'll just have to wait and see.

Klasse Act
03-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Although NOT in the market for a new car anytime soon this is very good to hear, with or without the Abarth badging but one wonders,why put the 1.7L turbo making 200 hp in the 500X when it should go into the Abarth 124? I know its comparing apples and oranges here but the base 500 makes 100 hp N/A and gets a 35 hp bump in the form of the turbo and another 25 hp bump in Abarth trim, makes sense there for sure.Then comes the 124 and its 160 hp turbo engine and the Abarth only gets a 10 hp bump in power....HUH???

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, although I may have done so, but maybe our insiders can shed some light on this for me because I just don't get this. The extra weight of the 124 compared to the Miata NEEDS the extra .3 litre and 40 hp bump to make the car a true performer, not just a paint and tape job and some big brakes (which is awesome) but I think you guys understand what I'm saying here.

MrFiat
03-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Although NOT in the market for a new car anytime soon this is very good to hear, with or without the Abarth badging but one wonders,why put the 1.7L turbo making 200 hp in the 500X when it should go into the Abarth 124? I know its comparing apples and oranges here but the base 500 makes 100 hp N/A and gets a 35 hp bump in the form of the turbo and another 25 hp bump in Abarth trim, makes sense there for sure.Then comes the 124 and its 160 hp turbo engine and the Abarth only gets a 10 hp bump in power....HUH???

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, although I may have done so, but maybe our insiders can shed some light on this for me because I just don't get this. The extra weight of the 124 compared to the Miata NEEDS the extra .3 litre and 40 hp bump to make the car a true performer, not just a paint and tape job and some big brakes (which is awesome) but I think you guys understand what I'm saying here.

I'm wondering if they're trying to compensate for the additional weight that the beefed up X might carry ??

janaheim
03-07-2016, 09:13 PM

How about a 500 Abarth at 200 hp?