PDA

View Full Version : 124 Abarth Spider

madmack
03-01-2016, 11:58 AM
If this doesn't get you excited.. You're on the wrong forum!

http://youtu.be/hGBO3amLd4k

rnddude
03-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah, baby, bring it on!

madmack
03-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Got excited and spelled spider wrong...SaiyanSmilie_anim

Fiat500USA
03-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Got excited and spelled spider wrong...SaiyanSmilie_anim

fixed it;)

Tiny Turbo
03-01-2016, 02:22 PM
I've never been more excited for a car.
Wish I could own both the 500 and 124 Abarth... :blue:

unknownsir
03-01-2016, 03:23 PM
looking good so far, i like the look of mixed color. interesting that they are offering it in manual and auto and with or w/o the black hood/bonnet

morrisg
03-01-2016, 03:29 PM
And in Metallic Blue!!!

zvez
03-01-2016, 05:55 PM
gonna be pricey tho, press release

http://www.abarthpress.com/press/detail/118351

Simmonz
03-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Seems like a very small power bump from the standard 124, All the other goodies look nice but imo they should have gotten it closer to 200hp. 0-60 in 6.8seconds isn't much better than the 500abarth. Car looks great though.

MJAB
03-01-2016, 08:05 PM
This is the video of the presentation of the cars at Geneva

http://youtu.be/omDK8ySCTO0

Xtreme500
03-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Must...Change...Underwear...

Amacento
03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
That is what I hope to do. The A500 is paid… I just need the garage + climate to justify the A124.

Rags747
03-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Seems like a very small power bump from the standard 124, All the other goodies look nice but imo they should have gotten it closer to 200hp. 0-60 in 6.8seconds isn't much better than the 500abarth. Car looks great though.
US HP will be higher than what has been quoted in European trim, price will also be better.

morrisg
03-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Plus it's 0-62 mph (0-100 kph) which includes a shift to third gear.

Winoman
03-06-2016, 12:22 AM

My feelings exactly. 0-60 in 6.8 seconds is not better than many mini vans these days. Sure its not all about speed - this car will certainly handle well and be fun to drive (and looks great)...but in the end not nearly as special as I had hoped....I'm very disappointed. Perhaps they will bump the power up for the states and in future years. I'll be following developments - but with less interest than I otherwise would have with 200+ hp and more like 5-6 sec 0-60 times...

Winoman
03-06-2016, 12:23 AM
US HP will be higher than what has been quoted in European trim, price will also be better.

Lets hope so (though I didn't see anything on the price...does anyone really know yet?)

Jac
03-06-2016, 12:30 AM
6.8 sounds about right, the 1.4 isn't exactly a beast of an engine and it has quite a bit of turbo lag. Although 6.8 is probably conservative, i bet you could get it down to 6 if you beat on it/clutch.

The 124 Abarth is really tempting to me, i also own a Miata and i love both it and my Abarth. But I'd be lying if it wasn't the engine/exhaust note that i loved about the Abarth, the driving dynamics aren't really at the same level. The 1.4 was always (to me) an engine in search of a chassis and i think its finally found it in the ND Miata. The 500 is great but its not a track/canyon car.

Jac
03-06-2016, 12:31 AM
US HP will be higher than what has been quoted in European trim

I've heard otherwise due to gas quality.

Winoman
03-06-2016, 12:40 AM
I fully understand why folks love their Miatas - though the ones I've driven (no NC or NDs) have seemed somewhat pedestrian performance wise (fun though). My 1989 Supercharged MR2 still seems more (driving) fun to me (too bad my neighbor owns it now). And with 0-60 in 6.8 sec the 124 Abarth would be the slowest car I own. I'm not necessarily looking for Viper fast....but really now...

I'm also not pleased to hear about the turbo lag in the 1.4. Wasn't aware of that. Neither of my turbo cars has noticeable lag (unless temps are in the 90+ range). They both give push back in the seat power at WOT - but otherwise can be driven around quite quickly in a very linear manner. In many ways I prefer the supercharged more linear acceleration to turbos with lag.

Jac
03-06-2016, 01:06 AM
I fully understand why folks love their Miatas - though the ones I've driven (no NC or NDs) have seemed somewhat pedestrian performance wise (fun though). My 1989 Supercharged MR2 still seems more (driving) fun to me (too bad my neighbor owns it now). And with 0-60 in 6.8 sec the 124 Abarth would be the slowest car I own. I'm not necessarily looking for Viper fast....but really now...

I'm also not pleased to hear about the turbo lag in the 1.4. Wasn't aware of that. Neither of my turbo cars has noticeable lag (unless temps are in the 90+ range). They both give push back in the seat power at WOT - but otherwise can be driven around quite quickly in a very linear manner. In many ways I prefer the supercharged more linear acceleration to turbos with lag.

The slowest cars are some of the funnest i've owned. 400hp just isn't fun on the street.

About the lag, it depends on your definition. Below 3k RPM its slow, 3.5K boost kicks in and it hustles.

Scott Allen
03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
This would be a fun car. I had a Miata in the mid-90's that I autocrossed then an MR Spyder.

Scott

Fiat500USA
03-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Lets hope so (though I didn't see anything on the price...does anyone really know yet?)

It's €40,000 (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/03/2017-abarth-124-spider-unveiled.html) or about €7,000 more than the European 124 Anniversary edition. Keep in mind these are European prices and don't translate over to our market.

Winoman
03-06-2016, 09:45 PM
It's €40,000 (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/03/2017-abarth-124-spider-unveiled.html) or about €7,000 more than the European 124 Anniversary edition. Keep in mind these are European prices and don't translate over to our market.

Yeah understood. When we picked up our 330i BMW in Munich (in 2004 - they called it the M sport in Europe - here its the ZHP/performance package....great car BTW) and drove around through Germany Austria and France for a month - many locals asked me about the car (and how much I paid for it etc) - they were often stunned at the price - quite a bit lower than what it sold for over there.

Winoman
03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
The slowest cars are some of the funnest i've owned.

Understood....but fastis almost always > slow (from my perspective)...though I very much understand why the Miata is so fun without necessarily being the fastest car on the road.

400hp just isn't fun on the street.

I have to very much disagree with you here....though I often have to hold back quite a bit....still...

About the lag, it depends on your definition. Below 3k RPM its slow, 3.5K boost kicks in and it hustles.

I'll have to check it out. Looking forward to it (I plan to test drive an ND Miata and the 124 - if possible - in the next few months). But I agree in terms of lag - depends on the definition. Mostly I say there is no noticeable lag in either of my turbo cars - but this actually is not totally true. There is some lag - but minimal considering the power and such. The Audi has a pretty stout V6 that moves it along even prior to the turbo totally kicking in...and the GTI - even for a "big" turbo - well it spools up quite quickly. Unless its really hot out - no one would even recognize any lag (though I do as I know my cars).

Winoman
03-06-2016, 09:54 PM
This would be a fun car. I had a Miata in the mid-90's that I autocrossed then an MR Spyder.

Scott

Curious which you preferred. I had an earlier (1st) gen MR2 and it was a very fun car - perhaps the most fun I've ever had with a car I've owned (even though it was a bit slower than my subsequent rides)....so I fully understand. Love that mid engine - and small & nimble - though not as light as it might be...but not too bad...

unknownsir
03-07-2016, 08:37 AM
When I am carving up some turns on a twisty back road I am never saying i wish things car had more horsepower. If your traveling on a road like The Dragon Tail the last thing you need is a surge of power, you want a small nimble car with a suspension that can handle the flips around a corner that double backs on it itself and then reverses direction again almost immediately.

ophidia31
03-07-2016, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about turbo lag. Everyone can only base this off of the fwd vehicle which has a maze of piping to go through with the stock side mount intercoolers. Once you remove that for a proper fmic, its practically gone unless you are lugging the engine in the wrong gear. Then of course you're going to get lag in that scenario. Since the 124 has a front mount, I don't see there being a problem with it.

morrisg
03-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Here's the only dyno chart I've found of a 1.4L MultiAir turbo that's tuned to 184 lb-ft of torque:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21187&stc=1
Notice that it's >150 lb-ft at 2000 rpm? If the new tune is anything like this old tune, then lag at throttle tip in will not be a problem at all. I expect any complaints will be that the power runs out at 5000 rpm and you need a shift to keep the fire going. On the other hand, no one has seen an actual dyno plot of the new tune, so we may see something different from this old dyno plot. Here's hoping it's an improvement and there's even more area under the curve.

Winoman
03-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Awesome - thanks Morrisg. Yeah the problem doesn't seem at all to be with spool up - but lack of oomph up top....due to small engine & small turbo no doubt....possibly rectifiable...

Winoman
03-07-2016, 06:32 PM
When I am carving up some turns on a twisty back road I am never saying i wish things car had more horsepower. If your traveling on a road like The Dragon Tail the last thing you need is a surge of power, you want a small nimble car with a suspension that can handle the flips around a corner that double backs on it itself and then reverses direction again almost immediately.

Well I've done the Dragon in my Audi...and did quite well (was pretty much the fastest vehicle out there on 2 or 4 wheels)...even with the "disadvantage" of high horsepower (and massive torque)....not sure how I managed....lol

unknownsir
03-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Going out and having a spirited drive is always great. Doing it on a road that is decently well traveled with many blind areas where you can fast come up on someone and put yourself or someone else in jeopardy, requires restraint. Hopefully you were respectful of all the other cars on the road who's experience and skills aren't as great as your's, so they felt comfortable and were not worried about being run off the road.

Winoman
03-08-2016, 09:29 PM
My wife calls our Audi (when I'm driving it) "the blue streak" and I always follow the maxim (with acknowledgement to Tim Powers) - AOP (Accelerate Out of Problems)....so no worries. I'm always hyper road aware (though I have hit a bear on the road once....but it was quite foggy....and I was going relatively slow considering the circumstances) and I do try not to scare people unnecessarily. And yes I'm quite experienced....you really need to drive fast (often) to understand what it takes, how the car performs and what to expect driving fast. BTW the same trip a few years ago at the Dragon I did a run of the Cherrehola (sp?) parkway up on the hilltops where I rarely was under 100 - I also ran down and caught hellboy in his STI on the Dragon (supposedly his road....that was fun) . I've also won a cannonball type race 3 times (3 out of 3 first places)...so yeah again no worries. And I do understand what a car like the 124 Abarth should be able to do on the type of roads you are concerned with. Its one of the main reasons I'm interested in the car.

cdpond
06-26-2017, 10:37 PM

I know the feeling. I sold my 2013 500 Abarth to purchase my 2017 Abarth 124 Spider. I really loved my 500, and even though the 124 is a joy to drive and looks great, I still miss the little beastly 500.

pr0d1gy9
07-02-2017, 02:31 AM
I saw my first 124 Abarth in person today. bianco perla tri-coat... My mom doesn't really get excited about such things but the first thing she said is 'That's a cool car!' and I literally pulled over to the side of the road to watch it drive by. Man do I want one now.