PDA

View Full Version : What degree of Camber for Autox?

Timetrapper
02-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Hi guys, what degree of camber do you use if any?
On the front and back wheels or just the front?

Robert Nixon
02-24-2016, 10:15 PM
an excellent question, and I have to admit that I just run stock in GS, so I can't offer anything more than hoping that someone gives some advice!

BigDaddySRT
02-24-2016, 10:24 PM
GS doesn't allow suspension modifications. You are stuck with what you get OEM.

Timetrapper
02-25-2016, 02:10 AM
GS doesn't allow suspension modifications. You are stuck with what you get OEM.

thats not what I heard. though i dont see the word camber mentioned in the rulebook. is there another term for camber? is the below addressing it saying we can?

13.8 SUSPENSION
E. If offered by the manufacturer for a particular model and year, the use of
shims, special bolts, removal of material to enlarge mounting holes, and
similar methods are allowed and the resulting alignment settings are
permitted even if outside the normal specification or range of specifications
recommended by the manufacturer. If enlarging mounting holes
is specifically authorized but no material removal limits are specified,
material removal is restricted to the amount necessary to achieve the
maximum factory alignment specification.
http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/009/786/2015-6-23_section_13_street_category_online.pdf?144321730 5

jguerdat
02-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Since Fiat hasn't offered a solution from the factory that would satisfy the rules, such as crash bolts (small shaft or eccentric) or the procedure to slot the strut holes, adjustments aren't allowed. I bitched at them when they were coming up with the new Street class rules which initially allowed camber bolts but later removed that while allowing super expensive shocks to no avail. If the factory doesn't have a procedure to adjust the suspension, you can't do it. Since the rear has shims available from the factory you can use those legally.

trevc
02-25-2016, 01:45 PM
You didn't state what class you want to run in. That would need to be your first decision.

Megalomaniacal
02-25-2016, 04:53 PM
just throw on wider tires to maintain contact patch?

BigDaddySRT
02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
just throw on wider tires to maintain contact patch?

I've done that... Now I have too much lateral grip with a high center of gravity and I'm learning to drive with two wheels in the air.

Megalomaniacal
02-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I've done that... Now I have too much lateral grip with a high center of gravity and I'm learning to drive with two wheels in the air.

hire a big fat man to jump on whichever side doglegs

:D

gundam2000
02-25-2016, 06:38 PM
there are shims for the rear toe. that's about it.

JazzyMT
02-25-2016, 10:00 PM
I run -2.75 degrees in front and -1.75 degrees in the back. Front I have slotted the mounting holes upper and crash bolts in lower position. I also have offset caster/camber bushings in the lower control arms. Rear I have 1.5 degree camber plates.

The front camber is perfect for turn-in traction, but I sacrifice some acceleration because it's easier to either lift the inside tire or either front wheel wants to trade traction somewhat unpredictably under straight line acceleration and max boost (although just barely straight line since we're not exactly blowing the doors off with power).

My everyday street tires makes the drawbacks more pronounced, but with RE71R's on at events it pretty much just grips and goes.

I run STX class.

Timetrapper
02-26-2016, 12:21 AM
ahhh I'm in G-Street. Well I'll run an event without and ask the organizers and see what they say.

BigDaddySRT
02-26-2016, 07:52 AM
ahhh I'm in G-Street. Well I'll run an event without and ask the organizers and see what they say.

They will refer you to the rule book... And if you come out kicking butt they'll start hounding you about what you have done to the car.

Megalomaniacal
02-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I run -2.75 degrees in front and -1.75 degrees in the back. Front I have slotted the mounting holes upper and crash bolts in lower position. I also have offset caster/camber bushings in the lower control arms. Rear I have 1.5 degree camber plates.

The front camber is perfect for turn-in traction, but I sacrifice some acceleration because it's easier to either lift the inside tire or either front wheel wants to trade traction somewhat unpredictably under straight line acceleration and max boost (although just barely straight line since we're not exactly blowing the doors off with power).

My everyday street tires makes the drawbacks more pronounced, but with RE71R's on at events it pretty much just grips and goes.

I run STX class.

Do you race at WHP?

I'm with NASA there

JazzyMT
02-27-2016, 12:15 AM
Do you race at WHP?

I'm with NASA there

WHP? What's that? I thought phoenix mostly ran at Firebird. I've only been there once. I usually run with the Tucson group at Marana airport (AZ border region SCCA) and sometimes with the Sierra Vista group in Sierra Vista or Bisbee.

Megalomaniacal
02-29-2016, 12:26 PM
WHP? What's that? I thought phoenix mostly ran at Firebird. I've only been there once. I usually run with the Tucson group at Marana airport (AZ border region SCCA) and sometimes with the Sierra Vista group in Sierra Vista or Bisbee.

wild horse pass, is the name for firebird now lol

tucson also has musselman circuit too, check into it :)

JazzyMT
02-29-2016, 10:52 PM
wild horse pass, is the name for firebird now lol

tucson also has musselman circuit too, check into it :)

Haha! Oh. Well that probably shows how long it's been since I drove there. Musselman is great, I've carted there a couple times, but I always miss the days they have car events. I'd love to try the Abarth there though. Some day...

Megalomaniacal
03-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Haha! Oh. Well that probably shows how long it's been since I drove there. Musselman is great, I've carted there a couple times, but I always miss the days they have car events. I'd love to try the Abarth there though. Some day...

musselman is epic when the owner gets stoned and rides his scooter on the track along with us in the cars lol.