PDA

View Full Version : Tweak and anyone who has used the Kumho Ecsta 4x tires

DVT
02-23-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm ready to get out from under those horrible Pirelli PZero tires and am seriously considering the Kumho Ecsta 4x II tires. At $77 a pop, they are ridiculously affordable. By comparison, the Michelin Sport A/S 3 tires, on sale right now at Costco, run $118 apiece.

Tweak, I think you've run all three of these tires (PZero, Ecsta, Sport A/S). Any impressions on how they performed? One major issue I have with the PZeros is how quickly they clapped out. I'm concerned that at the price, the Kumhos might not be long for this world and would show wear early.

Anyone have any impressions they can share? Thanks!

Trunkout
02-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Kumho Ecsta are excellent all year tires! Have them on my daughters car! No complaints at all!

B3NN3TT
02-23-2016, 04:52 PM
I have been through several sets of Kumho Ecsta ASX, which I THINK were the direct predecessor to the 4x. So it's obvious I was happy with their performance (for an all-season tire). I think Kumho provides the best performance per dollar ratio of just about any all-season out there. You can pay a lot more for not much better performance with other brands.

They generally last about 35,000 miles on my SVT Focus.

DVT
02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
35,000 miles. I could live with that. :)

How did the Kumhos behave as they wore? For me, the PZeros turned into noise machines around 9K or 10K miles.

Trunkout
02-23-2016, 06:44 PM
How did the Kumhos behave as they wore? For me, the PZeros turned into noise machines around 9K or 10K miles.

Actually I found the Kumhos loud for about the first 1000 miles... Now they are near silent and 20k shows good wear patterns. This is on a Toyota Yaris sedan FYI but they really are great all around tires. Do really well in the snow.

Tweak
02-23-2016, 10:50 PM
I have ran all of these and so far my fav have been the Michelin.

I think I got about 12K from stock, closer to 15K from the Kumho and have been running the Michelin since...now at about 35K total miles (from the original 8 miles when new).

The Kumho got really sketchy especially in wet weather even with some tread remaining.

Pirelli sucked for me and never felt all that great even though they are a softer tire and one would expect improved grip.

The Michelins do great in the wet and although they lack a little grip in dry compared to some softer more performance focused tires they've been my favorite overall tire so far.

I have another set of wheels I am likely to change to with tires on already I got used, those I don't recall the type but I plan to run them for FOTD.

My next tire is likely to be a Cooper tire I think, from some others I've read of they might just be the best option for me, I think Sal runs the Coopers I am likely to go with and might be a tire you'd want to also consider.

DVT
02-24-2016, 07:14 AM
I have ran all of these and so far my fav have been the Michelin.

Thanks, Tweak. Seeing your earlier posts, I knew you had been through all three of these tires. I went ahead and ordered the Pilots A/S 3 Sports from Costco, which is offering $70 off on all Michelin tires this month. Between that and Costco's lower install/disposal fees, I'm paying about $100 more installed for the Pilots than the Kumhos. Close enough!

One of the key elements for me is performance in wet. The Pilots will be driven during the winter shoulder season (November and March), which means there will be a mix of cold rain, slush and snow involved. The Pilots' wet performance is definitely important.

Thanks everyone for the help. Can't wait to get the new tires on. I've really grown to hate the Pirellis. :)

B3NN3TT
02-24-2016, 09:52 AM
My next tire is likely to be a Cooper tire I think, from some others I've read of they might just be the best option for me, I think Sal runs the Coopers I am likely to go with and might be a tire you'd want to also consider.

I'm running Cooper Zeon RS-3 AS all-seasons on my Roush in the off-season. Had them on for about a year now; no complaints. Decent lateral grip in the dry, and very predictable break-away. They seem nice and quiet - but the car itself is so loud and crashy at this point, chassis-wise, it's hard to judge :)

Tweak
02-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Tweak. Seeing your earlier posts, I knew you had been through all three of these tires. I went ahead and ordered the Pilots A/S 3 Sports from Costco, which is offering $70 off on all Michelin tires this month. Between that and Costco's lower install/disposal fees, I'm paying about $100 more installed for the Pilots than the Kumhos. Close enough!

One of the key elements for me is performance in wet. The Pilots will be driven during the winter shoulder season (November and March), which means there will be a mix of cold rain, slush and snow involved. The Pilots' wet performance is definitely important.

Thanks everyone for the help. Can't wait to get the new tires on. I've really grown to hate the Pirellis. :)

I think you'll like them a lot and look forward to your thoughts once you've used them a bit.

I'm running Cooper Zeon RS-3 AS all-seasons on my Roush in the off-season. Had them on for about a year now; no complaints. Decent lateral grip in the dry, and very predictable break-away. They seem nice and quiet - but the car itself is so loud and crashy at this point, chassis-wise, it's hard to judge :)

I think those sound about right, it'll be awhile hopefully before I need tires again with 2 sets but yet another positive note to the Cooper choice, thanks.