PDA

View Full Version : My New Arancio Pop :)

carfreak09
02-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Picked up my pumpkin colored Pop today. This is now the 3rd Fiat I have purchased! Am I crazy??? Maybe just a little :nevreness: I would have liked to get an Easy or Trekking but Fiat decided to only offer a stick in the Pop, so that's what I was stuck with as a manual tranny was a requirement for my next ride. I can deal with the steel wheels but the lack of Bluetooth and backup camera is just retarded (Fiat are you listening???!!!) as is no center console. It would have been nice to be able to upgrade the stereo too, although surprisingly, the base stereo sounds pretty decent with its meager 4 speakers. Overall though, I'm loving it! Handles great, rides good, smooth shifter and clutch, plenty of pep, comfortable seats, and the orange color is just awesome! Here she is, doesn't she look cute next to my 500T?
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20963&stc=1
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20964&stc=1

Amacento
02-21-2016, 07:55 PM
I don't think being committed means you need to be committed yelrotflmao-vi

Nice looking couple. Congrats!

Fiat500USA
02-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Fiat crazy is a good thing! Love the look of your X. How about a picture of the inside, especially the shifter when you can.

carfreak09
02-21-2016, 11:02 PM
I do want to make one negative comment and that has to do with Fiat's poorly designed and implemented spare tire kit. I drive about 33k a year so a spare tire was a must. I bought the kit from my dealer and my salesman and I installed it (he's a fellow Fiat owner and a friend). There are two problems with it:

1. A strap is provided, apparently to keep either the jack or the air pump from moving around. It's very similar to the strap provided under the seat in the 500 to keep the air pump in place. However, NOWHERE in the instructions does it mention WHERE or HOW you install this strap. The only assumption we could make is that one of the bolts holding the seat bottom down is at the right spot to attach the strap, but we are guessing on that. For now, I left the strap off. I will see if it makes any noises going over bumps.

2. The pictures provided in the instructions shows placing the jack kit beside the tire on the left and the air pump behind it, between the tire and the back seat in the corner. Nothing inherently wrong with that. What IS wrong with it is that nothing is provided to stabilize the right hand side of the trunk floor. If you put any weight on the right hand side of the trunk floor, especially the back right corner, the floor just caves in. AWFUL AWFUL design! There should be some kind of foam block included in this kit that attaches to the floor to stabilize the right side of the removable mat!!! I mean WTF Fiat?? The only thing I can think of is that Fiat didn't think this through fully. The Pop does not have the more solid floor piece that can be moved to two different positions. It only has a flimsy thin carpeted piece. Perhaps the sturdier piece used in the other models wont have the same problem as mine does, but still, who designs something without ALL models in mind??

Hopefully this is the only poor engineering design I encounter, LOL.

5port
02-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the Pop. Would love to see the orange dash and the stick (as they are so rare here in the northeast). Enjoy it.

jayadam63
02-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Looks great. Congratulations.

I want to know more about the performance. How does the 1.4L Turbo do on that platform?

Robert Nixon
02-22-2016, 01:58 PM
congrats, love the orange X!

carfreak09
02-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Here is an interior shot as requested by a few people. You can see the stick shift and the all weather Fiat floor mats. Notice the rotary switch behind the shifter to choose Sport mode, among other modes, is also absent with the turbo motor :( Its replaced with an X graphic insert.

Xtreme500
02-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the TURBO!!

ronbo10
02-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Yes, congrats on the turbo- wish it were available on all trim levels of the X. Our 500L of course has it (in our case with the DDCT), and on a recent 100 mile trip from JFK airport to our home in Bucks County, PA we managed 38.7 mpg overall, that while not being particularly lucky with the lights and a couple hundred feet climb in elevation. I was driving for economy without being a complete granny. It's a great little motor. A fair amount lighter than the 2.4 liter, so probably some handling advantages there as well, esp. when you get your upgraded wheels/tires. I imagine if it were mine I'd go with 17"'s though I have to admit 18"s fill out the wheel well nicely.

Please keep us posted as you log some miles.

TheGonz
02-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Congrats. That's my favorite color and the one I really wanted, but they did not have one in that color with the options I wanted. It's really a beautiful color.

Congrats again!

Klasse Act
02-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Congrats on the new ride, its my favorite color on the new X but I hope you get some rims and ditch those steelies and hucaps, LOL!

carfreak09
02-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Looks great. Congratulations.

I want to know more about the performance. How does the 1.4L Turbo do on that platform?

The 1.4 handles the weight pretty well. It feels about the same as my 500T with the Sport button off, which is to say it's got some lag off the line but not bad. It definitely doesn't start off as smartly as my T but then again I'm not revving the engine much as I engage the clutch as I'm trying to be gentle during break in. It hits its stride between 3-5k rpms; at those speeds it forgets it's an SUV and hauls butt. I'm able to shift below 3k and still keep up with traffic fine without feeling like the engine is lugging. 6th gear should only be used at speeds of at least 55mph, which is fine as that's less shifting to deal with. The first time I tried to shift to 6th, I went to 4th, so now I'm extra careful shifting, making sure I pull the shifter all the way to the right while shifting down. At 80, rpms are around 2800, compared to 3400 on my T, so that's a welcome improvement and should keep the mileage the same or maybe slightly better despite the higher ride.

So far I only have 200 miles so my experience is very limited. I've already ordered a gopedal from 500madness. I hope to have it installed by Saturday. I'll report back on if it gets rid of the initial lag and improves around town performance.

A minor observance: the hill start assist is nowhere near as sensitive as it is in the T. I've been on inclines where it was rolling backwards despite the assist being on. I haven't felt it engage yet. I'm a little annoyed as I love how my T holds the car in place on even slight inclines. I'll toy with it some more.

jayadam63
02-22-2016, 08:43 PM
The 1.4 handles the weight pretty well. It feels about the same as my 500T with the Sport button off, which is to say it's got some lag off the line but not bad. It definitely doesn't start off as smartly as my T but then again I'm not revving the engine much as I engage the clutch as I'm trying to be gentle during break in. It hits its stride between 3-5k rpms; at those speeds it forgets it's an SUV and hauls butt. I'm able to shift below 3k and still keep up with traffic fine without feeling like the engine is lugging. 6th gear should only be used at speeds of at least 55mph, which is fine as that's less shifting to deal with. The first time I tried to shift to 6th, I went to 4th, so now I'm extra careful shifting, making sure I pull the shifter all the way to the right while shifting down. At 80, rpms are around 2800, compared to 3400 on my T, so that's a welcome improvement and should keep the mileage the same or maybe slightly better despite the higher ride.

So far I only have 200 miles so my experience is very limited. I've already ordered a gopedal from 500madness. I hope to have it installed by Saturday. I'll report back on if it gets rid of the initial lag and improves around town performance.

A minor observance: the hill start assist is nowhere near as sensitive as it is in the T. I've been on inclines where it was rolling backwards despite the assist being on. I haven't felt it engage yet. I'm a little annoyed as I love how my T holds the car in place on even slight inclines. I'll toy with it some more.

Thank you for the update. I was thinking at the end of 2016 I might get a leftover 500X POP and dress it with upgraded wheels -- to go with my 500 Turbo.

I really wanted the manual transmission and the 1.4L turbo engine but didn't know if the car was too much for it. Glad to hear it's not.

I turned off the hill start assist on my 500T. It gives me the opposite sensation in that it makes me think something is wrong if I don't roll backwards on a hill. I could never get used to it so I just disabled it.

I wonder if it not working is related to the car being so new or if it's just not functioning....

DeSoulo
02-22-2016, 10:10 PM
That Pop weighs about 300lbs less than my 500L so it should move pretty well; congratulations!

bryanintowson
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the new X! Haven't seen too many X's in FIAT Club America yet!

HeatherD
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
She's so cute! Congrats!

Trunkout
02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Great post and responses! Made me see the X pop in a new light!
I thought when I read "pumpkin" I wouldn't like it. I was wrong!

Southernroadrunner
02-23-2016, 02:55 PM
That's a nice looking pairthewave

carfreak09
03-07-2016, 05:00 AM
1000 mile update....The miles are already coming on fast so thought I would report on impressions after living with the car for a few weeks. No problems to speak of so far.

Things I like:
even though I have a base model without auto lights, it still has a "welcome" light feature that turns on the parking lights when you unlock the car. A nice feature, although the lights come on day or night since there is no sensor, so count this as a plus and a minus, lol. Also, you can have the headlights stay on for a set amount of time when you shut the car off, but you still have to manually turn the switch off after the engine is off. Again, a bit archaic but still nice its included considering it's a base model.

its nice to have real "puddle lights" again. I remember when all 80s-90s cars had them and then the manufacturers got cheap. These lights point directly down at the ground so it lights the ground up nicely. At first, I couldn't figure out where the light was coming from because you cant see the lights.

brakes are nice and strong and have a firm linear feel. Fuel economy has been good, ranging between 27.5-28.5 so far. Ride is firm and well controlled, although it can get a little bouncy. Handles surprisingly well for something sitting as high as it does.

Seats are comfortable. My Sonata had too much lumbar sticking in my back and often caused lower back discomfort. This car has nice flat seats that have no pressure points, making it immensely more comfortable.

Visibility is excellent all around. Commanding view in front of you and changing lanes is a breeze.

Things I'm not as thrilled with or need improvement:

I HATE the driver side door panel. They designed this obnoxiously large rounded piece of plastic that bulges out where the bottle holder is. Unless I take extreme care swinging my legs out, my shoes rub right across it, creating ugly dirt marks. I've never seen a door panel so IN THE WAY! In tighter parking spots, it's hard to even get your legs out. It's bad enough I'm contemplating having someone cut that piece out.

The clutch took a lot of getting used to. The pedal has no feel whatsoever and the engagement point is like an on/off switch. If you don't have the gas pedal pressed at the right moment, she's gonna stall on you. I've stalled this thing more times in 2 weeks then my 500T in 2 years. I think I finally got it figured out but it still takes way more thought then it ought to. The 500's clutch is way better. The shifter is also a bit ropey and just sorta flops from gear to gear, but at least it doesn't have issues going into 1st or reverse like my 500.

The trim pieces around the steering column have already started making popping/creaking noises over rough surfaces and just generally feel cheap. I also have heard a rattle coming from the passenger seat area that I think I have narrowed down to the seat belt buckle hitting the center console area. This is pretty minor though.

Road noise is a little high. Granted, I'm comparing it to a Sonata that was luxury car quiet but there is an awful lot of tire/road noise. The engine is very quiet and wind noise isn't bad, just the road noise. You can tell they cheapened out on insulation in the wheel wells and the trunk.

Center console storage space is lacking! There is nowhere to put your phone. My Sonata had a lovely perfect sized upright slot for your phone. The X doesn't have this and it's a noticeable omission. My phone just slides around on the passenger seat now. The actual center console storage cubby is too narrow and small to be useful. For instance, my Sonata could carry a tissue box and a box of business cards as well as a tray full of pens and still have space to spare. The X's cubby can't fit the tissue box nor the business card box. I just don't understand why European car makers have such trouble designing decent storage solutions. I would gladly trade the unneeded mostly useless 2nd glovebox for real center console storage.

Steering is a tad too light and the turning circle could be tighter. That being said, it is a more relaxing car to steer then my stiff wheeled hyper sensitive 500.

What's with the word RUN constantly being shown in the center display?? I've never seen a car that felt it needed to tell you it's "running". This needs to be replaced with time or date!

It would be nice if they combined the average and instant gas mileage on one screen so you don't have to scroll through so many screens.

Lastly, the doors and particularly the hatch close with a very cheap sounding clunk. Very disappointing to have a European car with such a cheap sound to it, especially since the structure itself is quite solid. It literally sounds like an 80s GM car.

Overall though, this is nitpicking. I'm loving my X and feel I made the right choice. The fun design and orange color bring a smile to my face as I walk up to it and that means a lot.

Xtreme500
03-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your feedback Carfreak, I can relate to some of the quality issues and seating issues since I have a GTI also. The seats in my GTI have great bolstering and are very stiff where as the Fiat is like drive a recliner. I think if we put some dynamat in the door and hatch panels it would help greatly. I purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatch when they came out and after 2 years I replaced the factory speakers up front and installed some matting and when the speakers went in and wow in made a huge difference. I do have a question though what made you change over from a manual 500L with a 1.4T to a 500X manual with a 1.4T?

carfreak09
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your feedback Carfreak, I can relate to some of the quality issues and seating issues since I have a GTI also. The seats in my GTI have great bolstering and are very stiff where as the Fiat is like drive a recliner. I think if we put some dynamat in the door and hatch panels it would help greatly. I purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatch when they came out and after 2 years I replaced the factory speakers up front and installed some matting and when the speakers went in and wow in made a huge difference. I do have a question though what made you change over from a manual 500L with a 1.4T to a 500X manual with a 1.4T?

I never had a 500L. I did test drive it as I was considering one because of the room and the huge rebates on the 15s. The L I test drove just felt a lot slower off the line and felt more disconnected handling wise. Even though I knew the gopedal would fix a lot of that off the line lag, I felt the slowness would annoy me since most of my driving is at suburban speeds. The X felt much sportier. I still have my 500T. I got rid of a 2015 Hyundai Sonata to get the X.

Xtreme500
03-07-2016, 06:56 PM
My bad I misread that, I would like to also pickup a 500T a little further down the road but I only want it to be a weekend car. I like the 500T a little more than the Abarth only due to extra color selection and maybe a slightly less harsh suspension.

carfreak09
03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
My bad I misread that, I would like to also pickup a 500T a little further down the road but I only want it to be a weekend car. I like the 500T a little more than the Abarth only due to extra color selection and maybe a slightly less harsh suspension.

The more comfortable suspension as well as the more comfortable seats, availability of a spare tire kit, and less raucous exhaust were the main reasons I chose it over the Abarth and I think I made the right choice. With a few suspension mods (rear anti roll bar and front chassis braces), it grips the road just as good as the Abarth but with a much more compliant daily ride. My T is basically my personal fun car although I do use it for work occasionally. The X is my main work car.

carfreak09
03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
I achieved 30.3 mpg on my last tank! This baby is getting stellar mileage.

zvez
03-13-2016, 12:23 PM
We bought an Arancio x back in December, wife loves it, about 2500 miles on it now. My sister liked ours so much she bought one last week! She does mostly highway driving and averages around 28mpg so far, we only around town so only seem to get about 23.

JoeB
03-25-2016, 03:38 AM
I had a Trekking Plus rental for a week, and you are so right about that ridiculous door panel. I kicked it with my shoe every time! I noticed the road noise and cheap-sounding thunk to the doors/hatch, too. I liked it a lot, though..it was a shockingly relaxing ride coming out of my Abarth. I'd miss my little pocket rocket, but I'm considering trading for an automatic X.

Abarthboy
03-25-2016, 08:23 AM
I had a Trekking Plus rental for a week, and you are so right about that ridiculous door panel. I kicked it with my shoe every time! I noticed the road noise and cheap-sounding thunk to the doors/hatch, too. I liked it a lot, though..it was a shockingly relaxing ride coming out of my Abarth. I'd miss my little pocket rocket, but I'm considering trading for an automatic X.

After 3 weeks with my 500X Easy, I have actually only kicked that panel once or twice - I seem to have gotten used to it. I agree that the road noise is a little bit excessive on some surfaces but it's so much quieter than my Abarth that I'm not complaining at all. I do have to disagree with about the doors and hatch. They feel pretty substantial to me. Have you gotten into a Kia or a Subaru lately? Try it and then compare.

I miss my Abarth occasionally, but the X is actually fun to drive. I'm planning to get a Go Pedal to bring back a little bit of that push that I was used to.

carfreak09
03-30-2016, 11:48 AM
After 3 weeks with my 500X Easy, I have actually only kicked that panel once or twice - I seem to have gotten used to it. I agree that the road noise is a little bit excessive on some surfaces but it's so much quieter than my Abarth that I'm not complaining at all. I do have to disagree with about the doors and hatch. They feel pretty substantial to me. Have you gotten into a Kia or a Subaru lately? Try it and then compare.

I miss my Abarth occasionally, but the X is actually fun to drive. I'm planning to get a Go Pedal to bring back a little bit of that push that I was used to.

You should see my door panel. My shoe tip has rubbed across the cup holder area so many times that there are multiple dirt tracks in that area. It looks awful. The issue might be magnified by having my seat as far forward as it will go. I'm short (5'5") but I've never had to move the seat all the way forward on any car in order to comfortably operate the pedals. Not sure why this car is so different. I hit the panel much less now but it's still in the way, particularly in tight parking spots.

As for the doors, they do feel heavy but the sound effect is what I'm referring to. They sound tinny when you shut them. im coming from a Hyundai product and those doors felt light but closed with a solid expensive sounding quiet thunk. Even my 500T has a more solid sounding thunk to its doors, particularly its hatch. I think a little effort in choosing and placing weatherstripping could have improved the sound as the structure itself is solid.

Im over 3k now. Not a single problem. Other then the headlights not being properly aimed from the factory, it's been perfect.

carfreak09
05-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I went to the dealer today for my first oil change at 7200 miles and was pleasantly surprised to be told I was given 4 free oil changes at purchase?? I was not aware of this and contacted my former salesman. He said he has heard of this and some people got it and some didn't. So I guess I was one of the lucky ones....anyone else? It's rare to get a pleasant surprise at a dealer!

By the way, the oil change light wasn't on yet. I just wasn't comfortable waiting much longer for its first change. The oil was lookin kinda black. Absolutely no problems for the dealer to look at. This X has been superb in initial build quality and I just rewarded Fiat by filling out JD Power's initial quality survey.

MellowYellow
05-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Picked up my pumpkin colored Pop today. This is now the 3rd Fiat I have purchased! Am I crazy??? Maybe just a little :nevreness: I would have liked to get an Easy or Trekking but Fiat decided to only offer a stick in the Pop, so that's what I was stuck with as a manual tranny was a requirement for my next ride. I can deal with the steel wheels but the lack of Bluetooth and backup camera is just retarded (Fiat are you listening???!!!) as is no center console. It would have been nice to be able to upgrade the stereo too, although surprisingly, the base stereo sounds pretty decent with its meager 4 speakers. Overall though, I'm loving it! Handles great, rides good, smooth shifter and clutch, plenty of pep, comfortable seats, and the orange color is just awesome! Here she is, doesn't she look cute next to my 500T?
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20963&stc=1
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20964&stc=1

Weird. In Canada you can get a 500X Trekking with the 1.4 and Manual, and even a Lounge 500L with the manual! The Canadian "Easy" models are also called "Sport" even though there is no specific badging as such. The gear selector sport/snow/etc is also standard on Canadian manual Sport and Trekking.

5port
05-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Also the Canadian Fiat 500 Turbo use the same wheels as the american 500X Easy :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiEEUzM7CTA

carfreak09
05-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Weird. In Canada you can get a 500X Trekking with the 1.4 and Manual, and even a Lounge 500L with the manual! The Canadian "Easy" models are also called "Sport" even though there is no specific badging as such. The gear selector sport/snow/etc is also standard on Canadian manual Sport and Trekking.

Gee thanks guys....make me feel even more annoyed that we get shafted big time down here :( lol