PDA

View Full Version : My 500x named Meatball 45 days in . . .

HeatherD
02-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone, first time posting but I've been stalking for a while. Just wanted to introduce myself.

I have a black 500x Lounge with Collection 5 & brown leather seats and a little under 1k miles. Her name is Meatball. I love the retro styling & have a thing for little/big cars (tiny SUVs and the like) so this was a perfect choice for me. I'm not usually the type of person to buy a car on it's first run like this and with Fiat's reputation I'm a little worried how she'll hold up but hey she's cute so fingers crossed. I chose the Lounge because I like the chrome accents around the exterior windows.

Initial impressions:

Appropriate power & pickup for the class/size. My friend has the 500c and feels like she might die trying to merge on to the highway because it has no power. None of those issues with the X , in fact I really like driving her at 90mph and she's a smooth ride & fun to drive at any speed.
I wish I had purchased the all wheel drive. The Los Angeles dealer told me there's no reason for all wheel drive in LA so I went for the front wheel drive model but I can tell the difference in the control I have when taking off quickly from a stop.
About 10 days in my locks stopped working so I took her in and there had been a software update that she didn't get before she left the lot that fixes that. It also added some new options to the uconnect system.
I realized recently my 3D maps look exactly the same as my 2D maps, took her in again and they said the radio is bad & they're ordering me another. It's great I'm getting a replacement, but I'm a little irritated that less than 2 months in I've spent so many hours back and forth at the dealership. Again this is probably what I get for buying a brand new model.
The finishes look nice but feel a little cheap. No rattling or anything and I'm not really sure how to explain it other than scratches and dents seem to form easily on both interior and exterior. Little things like the lock button on the rear hatch is dented in from me pressing it so many times. The high-gloss section of the dash gets smudged really easily, needing constant wipe-downs and my friend's purse put a nice 2" scratch in it when she brushed up against it getting into the car. The seats aren't completely leather, the bottom half from the seat down is a meshy fabric which I bet won't hold up the 10+ years the solid leather seats in my previous vehicles have. I take great care in parking lots to avoid potential door ding situations but she already has 2 huge (golf ball sized) dings from car doors. The Toyota I drove for 3 years in LA (and was more careless parking) only has 1 so seems like the X dents way easier.
So far my MPG is only 19 but I've been stuck in traffic a fair amount so whatever
LOVE the heated steering wheel and dual-zone A/C
Hoping to mod her eventually. Maybe some more chrome accents to start, just haven't decided what yet. Definitely getting a tint added to the front 2 windows ASAP.
Love the sunroof. Not sure how I feel about the mesh cover. I visit the desert in the summer and it doesn't seem like it will do the job of keeping the heat out the way a solid cover would.

All-in she's cool looking and fun to drive and hopefully a great investment. Nice to meet ya!

Robert Nixon
02-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Congrats on the X and welcome to the forum. Glad the warranty is taking care of the issues so far.

jayadam63
02-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Congrats, Heather! Meatball is lucky to have you.

General rule of thumb -- It never happened unless there's at least one picture.

useless_without_pics

HeatherD
02-17-2016, 11:55 PM
Thanks! I'll get some photos up asap. I actually haven't taken any of her yet so we'll have a nice little photoshoot soon. And maybe some shots in a week of her fancy 3D Nav because while trying to figure out what it should look like I had a really hard time finding any shots of the X with it in the US.

Fiat500USA
02-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your X. Love to see some pics when you can.

The dents sound more like just bad luck from inconsiderate jerks. I wouldn't consider the 500X any easier to dent as it is made from 70% high strength steel which is substantially more than most cars. Also, nearly every modern car made for the past 20-30 years including expensive ones only have leather seating surfaces, the other pieces are typically vinyl, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the lower side panels. The seats feel more rugged and substantial compared to our Audi. I bet they'll be fine. Enjoy your car and have fun!

TheGonz
02-18-2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the great writeup, Heather.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, my dad used to call my Abarth (which I traded for the 500x) the "Meatball car." You know, Italian meatballs and all. I used to call it "Furio," after Tony Soprano's notoriously short-tempered and violent bagman in "The Sopranos."

My 500x I have named "Fiorello" after NYC's greatest mayor, Fiorello "Little Flower" LaGuardia.

How many miles do you have on Meatball so far? When I first got Fiorello, I was getting about the same city MPG as you are reporting, but now as I'm getting closer to 3,000 miles on the clock, he is very quickly improving. I went from about 19 mpg in town to about 22-24. Some of that is probably break-in. Some of it is probably Fiorello "learning" how I drive and adjusting gear shifts and things accordingly. I've owned and driven mine for 92 days now.

HeatherD
02-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Gonz, that's so great you had a Meatball too! They're saucy, timeless, Italian, and can be a little spicy, it's very fitting! For the X I can also say she's beefy.

Fiat500 Admin thank you, I think you're right. I will chalk it up to bad parking luck & a perfect excuse to work from home ;-) Re: the seats that is good to know. I think I'll start carrying a mini windex or something to take care of the dash smudges.

I got her out on the highway today for a while & she was so much fun to drive I started feeling guilty for anything bad I said about her. Sorry Meatball.

datasage
02-18-2016, 09:01 PM
On fuel economy. I tend to average around 24-27 mpg with an AWD Trekking Plus. I tend to do a lot of highway driving, which helps bring the average up.

Tweak
02-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Congrats on your X and welcome to the forum.

MariaVII
02-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Congrats on the Fiat! I named my red Terkking Plus "Polpette" which is Italian for little meatball!

With just under 500 miles (mostly local, non-highway commuting on hilly roads) Im averaging under 18mpg which I am hoping will improve a bit.

The only oddity I am finding is that my front collision warning will turn off for no reason. I have to bring the car in to deal witha chip that was there on delivery so Ill ask about it then.

Happy driving!

Xtreme500
02-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Congrats and welcome to the forum HeatherD! I guess you could say the forecast for the forum now is awesome with a chance of Meatball!

HeatherD
02-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes!

As luck would have it while I was sitting quietly inside my office yesterday Meatball got hit pretty hard in the parking lot by the world's worst parker and most inconsiderate driver ever, who took off and did not leave a note. Her side & chrome door handles are badly scraped with the other car's white paint, fender and door dented in with long deep indents. Body shop says about $6k in damage and a month in the shop so I guess her photoshoot will have to wait :-(

A ray of hilarious sunshine came through a couple of hours later when Meatball and I both got sprayed by a skunk & now she stinks pretty bad when I run the A/C too. But c'mon, you have to laugh at that one.

Xtreme500
02-23-2016, 01:15 PM
WTF!!!! Some people have no decency these days. Is your insurance going to handle this for you?

ronbo10
02-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Man, really sorry to hear that! Hope they can get it back to "as new" condition pronto.

jayadam63
02-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Glad you have a sense of humor. I would be really mad with humanity right now. Good for you!

HeatherD
02-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Geico are being champs about it (so far). Fingers crossed. I take her into the adjuster on Friday so we'll see if his repairs/numbers get anywhere near my body shop's estimate. I think she'll need a new rear fender and rear drivers side door w/ new paint & if they paint that back door I think they'll have to paint the front too to make sure they match exactly? We'll see. I hope I'm not without her for long!

Skunk smell is already gone so that's great.

Tweak
02-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes!

As luck would have it while I was sitting quietly inside my office yesterday Meatball got hit pretty hard in the parking lot by the world's worst parker and most inconsiderate driver ever, who took off and did not leave a note. Her side & chrome door handles are badly scraped with the other car's white paint, fender and door dented in with long deep indents. Body shop says about $6k in damage and a month in the shop so I guess her photoshoot will have to wait :-(

A ray of hilarious sunshine came through a couple of hours later when Meatball and I both got sprayed by a skunk & now she stinks pretty bad when I run the A/C too. But c'mon, you have to laugh at that one.

Wow. No way could I have any sense of humor if Mirabella got even a small fraction of damage. Hope things get done well and quickly!

HeatherD
03-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Once I scrubbed the other car's white paint off the side of Meatball and gave her a wash she's looking much better. The fender/bumper/back door are all still dented in but from some angles you can't even tell. I'm loving driving her so much I can't be away from her for weeks yet so I'm just going to keep driving her for another month or so then take her in to get the repairs later this spring.