PDA

View Full Version : Damn Curbs!

glasswar
02-17-2016, 01:12 PM
So while I love this car, one thing that is driving me nuts is that I seem to be having bad luck with curbs.

Only two months, and I have curb rash on each front wheel. I have the 17" hyperblack with the stock Pirelli P-Zero tires. This is the first curb rash I have had on an Alloy wheel in over 10 years, so its not my normal driving style to get these, and the black wheels only make it more obvious.

Is it just the P-Zero are exceptionally unforgiving, is it the more racing-oriented turning radius? Any ideas how to avoid them, and maybe how to conceal those shiny scrapes?

Was thinking about new wheels anyways, but was thinking 17x8. Should I be thinking 16x8 instead to get more tire between my wheels and the curbs?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Fiat500USA
02-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear. I would guess it is just getting used to the corners of a new car. I've scrapped a wheel twice myself. If the scratch bothers you, look online and find a local mobile wheel repair place and they'll come out and repair your wheel.

Amacento
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Everything FIAT500USA posted. Wheel repair on those 17s is a lot easier than the stock 16s (need to match color and texture on those).

Megalomaniacal
02-17-2016, 03:39 PM
get tires with a little more sidewall

gundam2000
02-17-2016, 06:45 PM
you can plasti dip the wheels black for a cheap temporary fix to hide curb rash until you decide what to do later.

CoachRick
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM
get tires with a little more sidewall

Did that for DW to help mitigate the damage to the rims. Seems to have helped; but we traded that vehicle in a few months.
Our C70 has one scrape on one wheel...thus far the Elle is undamaged except for a major shopping cart ding picked up around Christmas. The reduction in footprint from the XC60 and RDX has paid off so far! ;) We shall see what the future holds.

To the neighbor OP...I was thinking you meant parking space curb stone/stops were getting in your way. I'm not sure why you are dealing with curbs in such a small car. Last time I nicked a curb was making an emergency U-turn in a full-sized Volvo wagon. What puts you so close ? Fighting for parking on the Drag? ;)

glasswar
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Both were in parking lots under construction, so were when I was entering/leaving a space with a hidden curb up next to it with other obstacles around. May be a bit overconfident in the small car thinking i can get around things i cant.

One of the side effects of so much development and construction in my part of town also includes tons of flats (I live near Top Notch), so I figure I will have occasion to get new tires with bigger sidewalls sooner rather than later (one of my neighbors is averaging one flat every 3 months).

streetsurfer
02-18-2016, 04:34 AM
Both were in parking lots under construction, so were when I was entering/leaving a space with a hidden curb up next to it with other obstacles around. May be a bit overconfident in the small car thinking i can get around things i cant.

One of the side effects of so much development and construction in my part of town also includes tons of flats (I live near Top Notch), so I figure I will have occasion to get new tires with bigger sidewalls sooner rather than later (one of my neighbors is averaging one flat every 3 months).

Something I picked up through years of trucks and trailers is to walk around the vehicle before getting in. Gives a better reference of where everything is-more quickly acclimating yourself to the vehicle, and gives a chance to spot any new door dings or scratches before leaving the scene, to see potentially damaging debris behind a tire, if a curb moved, etc. It really does help with getting to know the distance to the edges of a new car, to compare the walk around to the sat down view.

Amacento
02-18-2016, 06:06 AM
streetsurfer ~ Yes. Yes. Yes.

I usually do the walk around before ignition. I also practice staggered parking when I have little to no choice but to angle park between two vehicles. What I mean is I get out and look at the distance between the curb and the vehicles (as well as the positions of the front and rear doors). I position Sombrita strategically to minimize the chances of door dings and/or any other marks less than careful "neighbors" could leave on her. It takes an extra few seconds and saves me A LOT of heartache when I can't find an end spot.

CoachRick
02-18-2016, 11:57 AM

Well, since they are developing or rebuilding every square foot of the Austin area, construction is indeed hard to avoid! :( Shortly after we moved here in '08, a nasty hail storm resulted in the replacement of over 300 rooftops in our neighborhood(Avery Ranch). Added to the explosive growth in this area and every block had multiple construction projects. Plenty of roofing nails stuck in tires around here !!! I had to replace a nearly new tire on the XC60 when I picked up a self-tapping, hex head, washer/gasket included machine screw...too close to the sidewall for a proper repair!

Let's be careful out there!!! Hmmm...It's a bit of a drive; but Top Notch for lunch is sounding pretty good!

Tweak
02-19-2016, 01:06 AM
streetsurfer ~ Yes. Yes. Yes.

I usually do the walk around before ignition. I also practice staggered parking when I have little to no choice but to angle park between two vehicles. What I mean is I get out and look at the distance between the curb and the vehicles (as well as the positions of the front and rear doors). I position Sombrita strategically to minimize the chances of door dings and/or any other marks less than careful "neighbors" could leave on her. It takes an extra few seconds and saves me A LOT of heartache when I can't find an end spot.

Funny you mention corner spots...if I don't park WAY out from other cars I always get a corner...even if it is in a parking lot at the next store and sometimes across the street...lol. :D

Amacento
02-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Don't get me started, Tweak. You know I'm a nut.

Trunkout
02-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Funny you mention corner spots...if I don't park WAY out from other cars I always get a corner...even if it is in a parking lot at the next store and sometimes across the street...lol. :D

AND in that spot I park WAY close to the curb with my ass sticking out so people can NOT ding my door!

I got a BIG white ding on my red car. Week one. NEVER AGAIN!

Tweak
02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Don't get me started, Tweak. You know I'm a nut.

We might haven fallen from the same tree. :D

AND in that spot I park WAY close to the curb with my ass sticking out so people can NOT ding my door!

I got a BIG white ding on my red car. Week one. NEVER AGAIN!

I went about 3 years without a blemish on my first new car until the 1 day I decided to park between other cars...came back to a small ding and that was the last time any car was ever parked between other cars except when at a car show or event. I still dislike it then too but usually we have enough space and people care enough to be careful. Never another ding since.

Fiat500USA
02-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Dings are the worst. Like everyone else, I circle the lots looking for the best space, much to the annoyance of my passengers! The good thing about the 500 is it is so small it doesn't take up too much room in a space inside a parking spot. If it is possible, I try to angle the car within a spot, too.

Basta
02-23-2016, 08:14 PM
I have the same problem with my 17 's. It's incredibly difficult to see backing up because of the pillars and also the car seems fatter at the rear. Here's what to do: Temporarily Adjust your passenger side rearview mirror to point down slightly so the curb becomes visible and you'll have no trouble at all. I have also installed a front camera located just above the front license plate and it lets me know when I'm too close to the parking curbs at the supermarket. Try it, it works.

Tweak
02-23-2016, 10:41 PM
I have the same problem with my 17 's. It's incredibly difficult to see backing up because of the pillars and also the car seems fatter at the rear. Here's what to do: Temporarily Adjust your passenger side rearview mirror to point down slightly so the curb becomes visible and you'll have no trouble at all. I have also installed a front camera located just above the front license plate and it lets me know when I'm too close to the parking curbs at the supermarket. Try it, it works.

If adjusting before parking each time is the path to take just pop the hatch and back in...louder and way easier as well. :D