PDA

View Full Version : Abarth to X

Abarthboy
02-13-2016, 11:33 AM
I just put down a deposit on a 500X Easy AWD, having driven a 500 Abarth for the last 3-1/2 years (trouble free, I might add). My dealer offered me a really good trade in price on my Abarth and discounts on the X that will end up with me spending very little out of pocket. I went for black with the black and red interior to maintain some continuity with my Abarth. Why the X? I decided that I really needed a larger vehicle to cope with transporting my dogs and my mountain bike stuff.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who went from an Abarth to an X. I'm really excited about the X, but do have niggling fears that I'll miss the responsiveness of the Abarth. Do you drive in Sport Mode? How do you find the handling?

Andree
02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS on your X!

Abarthboy
02-13-2016, 12:14 PM
I promise to post photos. It will be three weeks as I'm currently recovering from a broken ankle and can't drive. The 500X is going to be my recuperation present to myself.

Amacento
02-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Congrats!

5port
02-13-2016, 12:33 PM
I just put down a deposit on a 500X Easy AWD, having driven a 500 Abarth for the last 3-1/2 years (trouble free, I might add). My dealer offered me a really good trade in price on my Abarth and discounts on the X that will end up with me spending very little out of pocket. I went for black with the black and red interior to maintain some continuity with my Abarth. Why the X? I decided that I really needed a larger vehicle to cope with transporting my dogs and my mountain bike stuff.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who went from an Abarth to an X. I'm really excited about the X, but do have niggling fears that I'll miss the responsiveness of the Abarth. Do you drive in Sport Mode? How do you find the handling?

Not Abarth to X but Mazdaspeed3 to X (close). I needed a vehicle that could get out of my driveway without Blizzacks...this works well. I don't miss the performance in my case cause I wasn't using it all that much. Cant tell you the last time I hit max boost.

I do enjoy the smoother ride, the snow capability, the styling and love the interior. Mine is Easy ,pak #1...Black with black and gray interior. The acceleration is enough to keep me interested. Maybe more important it makes all the right sounds. Seems to me that Fiat spent some time tuning the exhaust. Reminds me of my 124 spider with the Ansa exhaust I had.

In all it was the right move for me. I'm going to keep the mods to a minimum :) I believe you will be happy as its obvious when driving it that it was tuned for enthusiast. Odd that I put the Koni FSD in my MS3 and they are already installed in the next car I purchased new. Love the FSDs.

One last thing...drivetrain was a surprise. I'm a diehard stick guy and I'm really liking the 9-spd auto. Combined with the Tigershark it can be an entertaining duo. With the new software updates the 9spd does well.

Fiat500USA
02-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Congratulations! Sorry to hear about your ankle, but a new car is a great way to take your mind off it. We have an Abarth and an X and I enjoy driving the X, too. What I appreciate is the ride of the X when I'm on a rough road. It's not soft and squishy, but firm, comfortable and well controlled. It also handles potholes amazingly well, which is important because NY is filled with them. I find the handling responsive and predictable and very European feeling. It's not a razor sharp sportscar, but it isn't a mind numbing mainstream SUV/CUV. Sport mode definitely makes the car more aggressive and will have you rocketing off from lights and have fun running through the gears. I think using Sport mode in the X makes a bigger difference than using it in the Abarth. I usually use normal mode, but hit Sport when I need to merge quickly or just want to have more fun.

Abarthboy
02-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much to both of you for the replies. I think I was most worried about the acceleration as some reviewers have called the X slow, but have seen posts by several actual owners saying that the car felt very responsive. Most of the press reviews out there are critical of the transmission, but I have also seen a number of posts by owners saying that the latest software tweaks have made the 9 speed great to drive. It's going to be a long 3 weeks, but I'm really excited and do appreciate the encouragement.

Trunkout
02-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much to both of you for the replies. I think I was most worried about the acceleration as some reviewers have called the X slow, but have seen posts by several actual owners saying that the car felt very responsive. Most of the press reviews out there are critical of the transmission, but I have also seen a number of posts by owners saying that the latest software tweaks have made the 9 speed great to drive. It's going to be a long 3 weeks, but I'm really excited and do appreciate the encouragement.

A Go Pedal from Madness should fix all responsiveness issues!

Robert Nixon
02-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Congrats on the X, at least it has the same engine as the Abarth! I would have to guess that it's just a bit larger, heavier, so with the same power will just be a bit slower in response, but the looks and the cargo room make it a winner in my book.

jayadam63
02-14-2016, 12:25 AM
Congrats on the X, at least it has the same engine as the Abarth! I would have to guess that it's just a bit larger, heavier, so with the same power will just be a bit slower in response, but the looks and the cargo room make it a winner in my book.

I believe he said he bought at 500X Easy. If that's the case, he would receive the 2.4L Tigershark® MultiAir® 2 Engine with 180 HP and the 9 speed transmission. I drove one of these for 2 days as a loaner. I really enjoyed the car. It felt very stable and quite substantial.

I AM CURIOUS, however, if someone has driven the 500X POP with the 1.4L MultiAir® Turbocharged Engine and the manual transmission. Would love to hear feedback as to whether that power package is adequate for this sort of crossover. I might add one of those to the stable... :)

Robert Nixon
02-14-2016, 12:35 AM
jayadam63
thanks for setting me straight!

jayadam63
02-14-2016, 12:55 AM
jayadam63
thanks for setting me straight!

I only know because I have been looking at 500X POP's and they're the only ones with the 1.4L Turbos & stick. Would love to hear how they actually perform.

Didn't mean to sound snotty -- well in this thread anyway. LOLOLOL!

-Jay

Abarthboy
02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
I believe he said he bought at 500X Easy. If that's the case, he would receive the 2.4L Tigershark® MultiAir® 2 Engine with 180 HP and the 9 speed transmission. I drove one of these for 2 days as a loaner. I really enjoyed the car. It felt very stable and quite substantial.

I AM CURIOUS, however, if someone has driven the 500X POP with the 1.4L MultiAir® Turbocharged Engine and the manual transmission. Would love to hear feedback as to whether that power package is adequate for this sort of crossover. I might add one of those to the stable... :)

That's correct. I'm getting the 2.4 Tigershark engine with the auto trans (no choice in that) I wanted the AWD and some of the safety and creature comforts of the Easy, and there is no manual gearbox offered for anything above base level. I did post some questions about the manual on the other 500 forum, and the response that I got was that the manual with the 1.4 turbo felt slower than the 2.4 with auto. This contradicts the 0-60 times that Road and Track came up with, but sometimes "feel" is different from objective numbers. Also, the R&T test was fairly early last year before the auto trans software issues were sorted out, so that may play into it as well.

Are those Greyhounds or Great Danes in your avatar? We have two Greyhounds, who were part of the reason for moving from the Abarth to the X.

TheGonz
02-15-2016, 04:29 AM
I moved from a 2013 Abarth (white) to a 500X Easy AWD. I got a great deal on the trade and got a good rebate package from FIAT, as well as a couple other freebies thrown in by the dealership. I was very happy with the Abarth, but after my divorce, things were a bit different. I no longer had the ex-wifes car to use if I needed something bigger or needed to carry passengers and cargo, or go on a long trip.

Mine has the backup camera, but none of the other advanced safety features like blindspot monitoring, etc. At first I thought the backup camera was just a gimmick; Now I actually really like it.

THE GOOD:

In the acceleration department it's not terrible. Slower than the Abarth, but not terribly. Also, it's much more civilized. With the Abarth, you knew you were accelerating cause the engine was making a lot of noise, and there were the pops and crackling and turbo sounds. The X is way smoother when it accelerates so you lose a bit of the hair-on-fire sensation, even though the car is not terribly slower. I think it's a little easier to speed in a 500X since it'll hit 80 or 90 with a lot less noise and fury than an Abarth. It's more sneaky like that.

If you do any sort of long-distance driving, the 500x will spoil you rotten compared to the Abarth. I'm a guy, and I haven't gone totally soft yet; I don't squat when I pee, and I eat my steaks practically still mooing. I've driven 2/3rd the way across the country in a 1983 Land Cruiser with solid axles and worn out leaf springs on all four corners. So I could deal with the Abarth. But I do have to say that there's something to be said for a vehicle you can drive for ten hours and not feel fatigued by feeling every crack in the pavement for the last 800 miles, and not have your ears ringing from the sound. And be able to carry on a conversation with a passenger without shouting.

The UConnect system in the 500X is far superior to the Blue&Me in the Abarth, especially if you have an iPhone. There were times when Blue&Me didn't work and play well with the iPhone. UConnect does a much better job.

The AWD and traction control are superb in the snow. I drove mine though a foot of snow today with street tires and it was great. The NEXEN all-seasons that came on mine are not the best all-seasons I've ever had in the snow, but they do okay. If I really do move to far northern Minnesota as I have been thinking about, I will get a set of Nokian Hakkapelliitas to put on it in the winter, and the little beast will be practically unstoppable.

The mileage was kind of disappointing at first. I was averaging about 18-19 mpg at first. Now, as the car has almost 3,000 miles on it, it's getting 21-24 mpg on a tank, with mixed city and highway driving. On long interstate trips, I've averaged mid-thirties by going a reasonable speed and using cruise control.

It feels big and hefty, even though it's not that large by the standards of most things on the road in the US. Coming from an Abarth, it positively feels like a tank. The lanes on the roads seem that much narrower. That's weird, cause I used to drive Land Cruisers and 4Runners which ain't exactly small. I guess a couple years in an Abarth changes your perspective on what "big" means.

At first, I was having issues with the way the 9-speed shifted. After the most recent software update in December, it's 100 percent better. When you take delivery of yours, make sure the dealer has upgraded all your software to the latest versions.

The car gets looks. When I come out of stores and other places into the parking lot, I see a lot of people looking at it as they walk by. People look at it in traffic. The girl next door really likes mine and is always complimenting me on it. Now that I'm newly single, that's a positive thing. I could have gotten a RAV4 like everybody else, but I would not have pretty women chatting me up in parking lots about it. The car distinguishes you nicely from all the other Asian and American mini-SUVs that all look the same.

It's a great value for the money. A girl I dated recently bought one of those RAV4s; for the same amount of scratch, she got a 2wd that's slower and has far fewer options. She got the backup camera in hers, but she did not get the smart key, the remote start or a bunch of other stuff I got in the 500X.

As I mentioned here on the forum when I first bought it back in November, the back seat is way better for "business time" with the girlfriend. It's probably better just to sit in too, but I've never actually just used it for that. :smokin:

STUFF I DON'T LIKE AS MUCH:

Already mentioned that the NEXEN all-seasons are not that impressive in the slippery stuff. They are fine on dry pavement and wet, but I've seen way better all-seasons for snow. Depending where you live, that may not be a huge deal. It's really not that big an issue here in St. Louis truthfully. We normally only get snow a few times per winter. If I lived in a snowier climate, I would definitely have wished for all-seasons that had better snow handing characteristics.

I don't like the analog speedometer. It's small and not where it should be. The Digital one on the MFD is way better, but it disappears for a few seconds every time something happens, like setting the cruise control, canceling the cruise control, changing driving mode.... I wish there were a way to have the digital speedo on the MFD at all times as a default. Even in sport mode, I'm more concerned about how fast I'm going than I am with how many Gs I'm pulling. It's a mini SUV for Christ's sake. That sort of thing is more at home on the Abarth or an Alfa Romeo than on the 500X.

Ride is a little fluttery over crappy roads like the ones we have in STL, indicating that the dampening needs to be fine tuned a bit more. Fiat will probably do that on upcoming model years. I think part of the problem is that like a lot of European brands, Fiat tends to underestimate how decrepit, ****ty and utterly third-world the roads in many parts of the US are. The fact of the matter is there are places in Sub-Saharan Africa that now have better roads than many parts of the US.

I wish the stereo were louder. But I think I'm losing hearing. My mom always used to warn me that listening to that terrible Rock 'n Roll music so loud would make me lose my hearing, as well as lead me to hang out with women of questionable virtue, and do all sorts of drugs. Well mom: two out of three ain't bad.

Anyway, that's my impression thus far. Congrats. I hope you'll like your new car.

Abarthboy
02-15-2016, 07:41 AM
I moved from a 2013 Abarth (white) to a 500X Easy AWD. I got a great deal on the trade and got a good rebate package from FIAT, as well as a couple other freebies thrown in by the dealership. I was very happy with the Abarth, but after my divorce, things were a bit different. I no longer had the ex-wifes car to use if I needed something bigger or needed to carry passengers and cargo, or go on a long trip.

Mine has the backup camera, but none of the other advanced safety features like blindspot monitoring, etc. At first I thought the backup camera was just a gimmick; Now I actually really like it.

THE GOOD:

In the acceleration department it's not terrible. Slower than the Abarth, but not terribly. Also, it's much more civilized. With the Abarth, you knew you were accelerating cause the engine was making a lot of noise, and there were the pops and crackling and turbo sounds. The X is way smoother when it accelerates so you lose a bit of the hair-on-fire sensation, even though the car is not terribly slower. I think it's a little easier to speed in a 500X since it'll hit 80 or 90 with a lot less noise and fury than an Abarth. It's more sneaky like that.

If you do any sort of long-distance driving, the 500x will spoil you rotten compared to the Abarth. I'm a guy, and I haven't gone totally soft yet; I don't squat when I pee, and I eat my steaks practically still mooing. I've driven 2/3rd the way across the country in a 1983 Land Cruiser with solid axles and worn out leaf springs on all four corners. So I could deal with the Abarth. But I do have to say that there's something to be said for a vehicle you can drive for ten hours and not feel fatigued by feeling every crack in the pavement for the last 800 miles, and not have your ears ringing from the sound. And be able to carry on a conversation with a passenger without shouting.

The UConnect system in the 500X is far superior to the Blue&Me in the Abarth, especially if you have an iPhone. There were times when Blue&Me didn't work and play well with the iPhone. UConnect does a much better job.

The AWD and traction control are superb in the snow. I drove mine though a foot of snow today with street tires and it was great. The NEXEN all-seasons that came on mine are not the best all-seasons I've ever had in the snow, but they do okay. If I really do move to far northern Minnesota as I have been thinking about, I will get a set of Nokian Hakkapelliitas to put on it in the winter, and the little beast will be practically unstoppable.

The mileage was kind of disappointing at first. I was averaging about 18-19 mpg at first. Now, as the car has almost 3,000 miles on it, it's getting 21-24 mpg on a tank, with mixed city and highway driving. On long interstate trips, I've averaged mid-thirties by going a reasonable speed and using cruise control.

It feels big and hefty, even though it's not that large by the standards of most things on the road in the US. Coming from an Abarth, it positively feels like a tank. The lanes on the roads seem that much narrower. That's weird, cause I used to drive Land Cruisers and 4Runners which ain't exactly small. I guess a couple years in an Abarth changes your perspective on what "big" means.

At first, I was having issues with the way the 9-speed shifted. After the most recent software update in December, it's 100 percent better. When you take delivery of yours, make sure the dealer has upgraded all your software to the latest versions.

The car gets looks. When I come out of stores and other places into the parking lot, I see a lot of people looking at it as they walk by. People look at it in traffic. The girl next door really likes mine and is always complimenting me on it. Now that I'm newly single, that's a positive thing. I could have gotten a RAV4 like everybody else, but I would not have pretty women chatting me up in parking lots about it. The car distinguishes you nicely from all the other Asian and American mini-SUVs that all look the same.

It's a great value for the money. A girl I dated recently bought one of those RAV4s; for the same amount of scratch, she got a 2wd that's slower and has far fewer options. She got the backup camera in hers, but she did not get the smart key, the remote start or a bunch of other stuff I got in the 500X.

As I mentioned here on the forum when I first bought it back in November, the back seat is way better for "business time" with the girlfriend. It's probably better just to sit in too, but I've never actually just used it for that. :smokin:

STUFF I DON'T LIKE AS MUCH:

Already mentioned that the NEXEN all-seasons are not that impressive in the slippery stuff. They are fine on dry pavement and wet, but I've seen way better all-seasons for snow. Depending where you live, that may not be a huge deal. It's really not that big an issue here in St. Louis truthfully. We normally only get snow a few times per winter. If I lived in a snowier climate, I would definitely have wished for all-seasons that had better snow handing characteristics.

I don't like the analog speedometer. It's small and not where it should be. The Digital one on the MFD is way better, but it disappears for a few seconds every time something happens, like setting the cruise control, canceling the cruise control, changing driving mode.... I wish there were a way to have the digital speedo on the MFD at all times as a default. Even in sport mode, I'm more concerned about how fast I'm going than I am with how many Gs I'm pulling. It's a mini SUV for Christ's sake. That sort of thing is more at home on the Abarth or an Alfa Romeo than on the 500X.

Ride is a little fluttery over crappy roads like the ones we have in STL, indicating that the dampening needs to be fine tuned a bit more. Fiat will probably do that on upcoming model years. I think part of the problem is that like a lot of European brands, Fiat tends to underestimate how decrepit, ****ty and utterly third-world the roads in many parts of the US are. The fact of the matter is there are places in Sub-Saharan Africa that now have better roads than many parts of the US.

I wish the stereo were louder. But I think I'm losing hearing. My mom always used to warn me that listening to that terrible Rock 'n Roll music so loud would make me lose my hearing, as well as lead me to hang out with women of questionable virtue, and do all sorts of drugs. Well mom: two out of three ain't bad.

Anyway, that's my impression thus far. Congrats. I hope you'll like your new car.

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. This really helps a lot. I have loved my Abarth, but there have been lots of times when I found it a bit tiring - the road noise, the hard ride, and the short wheelbase. We still have some sections of cobblestone streets in this part of Philadelphia, and I have to pick my way through them or risk losing all my fillings. Also, I used to love the exhaust sound of the Abarth and couldn't figure out why my wife found it so obnoxious. With my injured ankle, my wife has been driving me around. I realized the other day when she drove up in the Abarth to pick me up at my office how loud it really is. I could easily hear her from the second floor of my building and thought "so THATS what she finds annoying".

In any case, Ive been getting lots of positive feedback on my decision and can hardly wait the two and half weeks until I can go and pick up my new X.

5port
02-15-2016, 01:29 PM
@TheGonz...not sure if you've tried it but in the audio menu turn the "loudness" button on. I was not happy with the radio (sounded thin) until I did this. Also the FSDs tend to loosen up after a few thousand miles so ride should improve.

jayadam63
02-15-2016, 03:25 PM
FSD? Is that a new hallucination?

Xtreme500
02-15-2016, 11:00 PM
FSD? Is that a new hallucination?
I have know idea what that is myself.

5port
02-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Koni FSD Shocks

Frequency Selective Damping

jayadam63
02-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Thanks. I'm not an acronym person I guess.

Tweak
02-16-2016, 01:17 AM
Just wanted to say congrats on the X. I drove one for a very short period and enjoyed it, really like the looks of the X too.

carfreak09
02-18-2016, 01:38 AM

I drove the 500x Pop with the 1.4/stick. I'm comparing it to my current 500T with gopedal. Off the line, it feels about the same as my T without the Sport button on and before gopedal, which is to say it's definitely slower but it doesn't fall flat on its face. That being said, it's definitely quicker off the line then the Renegade and the 500L with the same powertrain, which I can only attribute to its lighter weight. I think gopedal will make a huge improvement here. Once going, it accelerates with plenty of pep. Handling is surprisingly good as it feels real lite on its feet. Ride was a bit brittle over broken pavement but the tires could have been highly inflated and it only had 127 miles on it. Overall, I was pretty impressed with it. Driving the L afterwards was a complete letdown. It was lacking power big time and its handling was more disconnected. The X was actually fun to drive and I'm considering getting one. The only thing that irritates me is the complete lack of basic options like Bluetooth, center console, alloy wheels, satellite radio, etc etc. As a stylish fun to drive small cuv, you can't beat the prices on them right now.

hownowcb
02-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I've had my Abarth a little over three years now, and 30,000 miles later I'm still totally in love with it. My previous vehicle was a 2003 Honda Element, which we still own. During that time my wife had a 2005 Honda Accord that she loved. Alas, her Accord was reaching the stage where it was time to begin spending serious money on replacing tires, brakes and other items more costly than routine maintenance. Having learned in prior lives that influencing a spouse on her choice of vehicles is not a particularly wise practice, I said very little about the 500X to my wife, for fear of stepping over the line. That said, I'd test driven a 500X at least once on a routine visit to my Fiat Studio once they finally began arriving, so i was certainly forming some opinions.

My Abarth has been absolutely bulletproof, and my Studio (Luther Alfa Romeo & Fiat, Minneapolis) has been outstanding. I had a difficult time articulating my "position" to the very nice, but high energy sales woman, explaining to her that I was merely gathering information, and that my wife would make her own decision in due time, and I honestly had no clue what her timetable actually was, or if she would even have any interest in the 500X. Long story slightly less long, we eventually test drove the 500X at my wife's request along with a few competitors last August, agreeing that the 500X was the best of them, and that it was really nice. And that was that. The sales woman kept calling me, and all I could tell her was it wasn't my decision.

So I'm out of town at a conference in early September when I get a call from my wife saying she's just bought herself a new 500X, and did I want the trailer hitch taken off her Accord. I'm not sure which of us was more excited about it. She got the Lounge model with every bell and whistle except the front collision avoidance, and she's happy as can be with it. She's especially happy that our road trips are in her car now; not my Abarth. I confess, I love them both and am thrilled we didn't have to compromise either of our chioces.

Obviously, the 500X is no Abarth, but it's not even the slightest bit incompetent. It's got plenty of power, though it gets loud at high rpms (rarely needed). I'm not in love with the automatic, but I vastly prefer it to CVTs, which are standard on nearly all the competition. Compared to my Abarth, the automatic feels almost "detached" from what's going on. Considering the engine is rarely turning over 1500 rpms, it's no wonder. Without cruise control I can't maintain a constant speed to save my life. It's quiet and comfortable, rides smoothly, corners way better than I'd have ever expected, and has been a genuine pleasure to drive and ride in. Her AWD gives her the security that winter tires provide on my Abarth, and she's felt fully secure in some nasty driving conditions.

We're perturbed that WeatherTech hasn't yet seen fit to make floor liners for the 500X, but at least Curt has made a receiver hitch for it. Once I'm confident the 500X can tow our Hobie Cat 16 I'll finally end up selling the Honda Element. I hope Fiat eventually does the Abarth treatment on the 500X line, but I'm in no rush. We already have the best of both the way it is.

Abarthboy
02-19-2016, 05:42 PM
A heartwarming photo. Mine is only two weeks away now!