PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a Fiat 500X...but?

airrphoto
02-09-2016, 04:57 PM
I am starting to look at Fiat 500X's and went to a dealership in Lancaster CA but was shocked by skepticism of the salesperson, it seems this vehicle is not selling according to her. Fortunately, I found this CUV (interior/exterior) to look better then I thought but there have been many negative comments or reviewers who commonly bring up the "Fix it again Tony" line that have soured me. Have any of you had transmission/electrical problems or replacements as mentioned by several reviewers?

Now for something positive from our Canadian friends: http://drivingtelevision.com/segment.php?id=453

Darryl

Fiat500USA
02-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. That salesperson would probably have trouble giving away gold bars. We have a bunch of people here on the forum that have a 500X and they love them and there are plenty of reviews that are positive, just like the one you posted. Go for what you like and take the naysayers and complainers with a grain of salt.

BigRuss
02-09-2016, 06:42 PM
I was actually thinking about the X when I test drove an Abarth and well now I have an Abarth and contemplating buying an X for the wife... They aren't selling as strong as it's competitors because it's so new and people are skeptical of the Fiat brand because of the horror stories of the old ones. I think in it's class it's the best bang for the buck and vastly different from the rest.

Fiat500USA
02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are about 210 Fiat dealers in the country so if you compare that to let's say Jeep with their 2,390+ dealers, Fiat is at a disadvantage if you are comparing overall numbers. Still, considering the how many 500Xs these dealers sold, the 500X is not doing badly. It would be interesting to see how they would do if they had as many dealers as the competition: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/02/fiat-500-sales-for-january-2016.html

jayadam63
02-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Wait. What happened here? Are we replying to a ghost???

Where is the OP's post?

Fiat500USA
02-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Wait. What happened here? Are we replying to a ghost???

Where is the OP's post?That was weird. Looks like when the OP edited the post, it went back into auto moderation. I fixed it.

TheGonz
02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
I am starting to look at Fiat 500X's and went to a dealership in Lancaster CA but was shocked by skepticism of the salesperson, it seems this vehicle is not selling according to her. Fortunately, I found this CUV (interior/exterior) to look better then I thought....

Maybe it's not selling because she's an idiot who couldn't sell a bucket of water to a guy whose ass was on fire? Seriously, what the hell kind of moron sabotages his or her own sale like that?

It reminds me of this fool at a Fiat/Dodge/Jeep/Ram place in Atlanta who seemed to believe the best way to sell me a Challenger R/T was by insulting my Abarth, a car that I loved and that he also sold.

Here's how it's done: "Are these selling well?"

"They're brand new to the US so we don't yet have a lot of long-term data, but we're getting a lot of interest and quite a few sales. Besides, this isn't a mass market car; FIAT is more of a niche company. We appeal to a different type of customer. We appeal to customers who like being different from the rest of the herd. People who like having a car that looks distinct and is different than all the other people on the streets with their RAV4s, Muranos, Hyundai Tucsons and things like that. People who like Italian style and flair. If you want to fit in, you can get the Jeep Renegade; mechanically it's almost identical and it's built in the same factory. But if you want to feel, I don't know, special when you drive, you go with the Fiat."

Take your alleged "weakness" (low sales), turn it into a strength (that's because only special, really smart and interesting people drive them). Throw in an appeal to vanity, emphasize the value for the dollar and you maybe just made a sale. That's exactly what Bill Bernbach at DDB did in the 60s with his iconic Volkswagen advertisements. He took a perceived weakness and very cleverly turned it around into a selling proposition.

Please, print this off, take a copy of it along with a couple of the old VW ads from the 60s, and show it to the salesperson and her manager. Evidently, they were both sick the day they taught how to sell things in selling school.

...but there have been many negative comments or reviewers who commonly bring up the "Fix it again Tony" line that have soured me. Have any of you had transmission/electrical problems or replacements as mentioned by several reviewers?

That joke is about as old and useless as I am. I'm on my second Fiat. The first was a 2013 Abarth. In two years I put 30,000 miles on it with no problems. My 500x has been a great car so far. I'm very much enjoying it and glad I bought it. I noticed the transmission shifting harshly, but a software update, plus the car adapting to how I drive, fixed that.

I can say in all honestly that my two Fiats have been better put together, higher quality and less problematic than the last three VW/Audi products I owned. My last ever VW, a Golf, was being rebuilt part-by-part since the day it was new. No issues like that for Fiat with me. Maybe some have had issues, but thing to remember is that people rarely point out when things are going great. It's usually when things go wrong that they speak up. For every one who has had an issue, there are a hundred or a thousand others who haven't.

Andree
02-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I am starting to look at Fiat 500X's and went to a dealership in Lancaster CA but was shocked by skepticism of the salesperson, it seems this vehicle is not selling according to her. Fortunately, I found this CUV (interior/exterior) to look better then I thought but there have been many negative comments or reviewers who commonly bring up the "Fix it again Tony" line that have soured me. Have any of you had transmission/electrical problems or replacements as mentioned by several reviewers?

Now for something positive from our Canadian friends: http://drivingtelevision.com/segment.php?id=453

Darryl

Every person has bad days. Just chalk the salesperson's comments up to a bad day, and carry on. Also, not all people will get along, and there should be another person there you can talk to, about the 500X.

What is it you need the 500X to do for you?

Load it up with all the safety options, and you'll have a vehicle that will actively help prevent you from getting into an accident and will help to protect you if there is an accident.

AWD and the proper tires for the season will give you some advantages on the roadway that you may not have currently.

The double sunroof is totally cool, allowing your backseat passengers their own look at the stars.

And definitely go for the heated seats and heated steering wheel. It makes a huge difference to one's comfort level. I don't have a heated steering wheel in my regular 500, but the heated seats are just wonderful and I use mine often.

Jeffb99tx
02-18-2016, 10:18 AM
We purchased a red Lounge edition back in September and love the car. It has the 9-speed transmission and it has been great. We have had zero problems with the car. I recommend the X to all who ask. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff
Dallas TX

smark
02-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Purchasing a new 500X, is the right time. Studio's are discounting the model, up to $4,900 dollars. Lots of colors, and trim levels to choose from.

hownowcb
02-19-2016, 04:45 PM
I was actually thinking about the X when I test drove an Abarth and well now I have an Abarth and contemplating buying an X for the wife... They aren't selling as strong as it's competitors because it's so new and people are skeptical of the Fiat brand because of the horror stories of the old ones. I think in it's class it's the best bang for the buck and vastly different from the rest.

Exactly! I love my three year old Abarth with 30,000 absolutely trouble-free miles of grinning ear-to-ear. And my wife loves her 500X AWD Lounge, new last September. Our local dealer/studio, Luther Alfa Romeo and Fiat of Minneapolis is just plain fantastic. The 500X has had some very minor teething issues, all fixed by software updates and our dealer's attention to detail. We both get attention and compliments on our Fiats. My niece in California is even leasing a 500e after consulting me, and loves it, too.

Unfortunately, some dealers just don't "get it". Fiat is here to stay, and is nothing like the Fiat of the 1960s-70s. But hey, I don't mind NOT being a sheep in the herd. Our cars are wonderful, and if people just don't understand, it's their loss; not ours! We're both thrilled with our Fiats!

srino
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
I was at the Jeep dealer looking at the Renegade (I prefer the 500X but there are no dealers here as of this writing) and the dealer was a little 'down' on the Fiat...I don't think he knew that underneath they were very similar...those salespeople only want to make a sale. Frankly, I would ask that salesperson what kind of a discount she could give me, since they aren't selling...of course, she probably won't last long with an attitude like that.

Fiat500USA
06-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Renegades are selling well. Of course with salespeople like that, they may not be at that dealership.